It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Nuns and Franciscan Friars criticize Romney

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Catholic Nuns and Franciscans ask Romney and Ryan to spend a day with the poor

Sister Campbell said “Recent advertisements and statements from the campaign of Governor Romney demonize families in poverty and reflect woeful ignorance about the challenges faced by tens of millions of American families in these tough economic times,” stated Sister Simone Campbell. “We are all God’s children and equal in God’s eyes."

Today, the Franciscan Action Network a group of Franciscan asked Mitt Romney and Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI), the author of the House GOP budget that bears his name, to join them in Milwaukee to “spend time with the poor.” Like NETWORK, the Franciscan Action Network took issue with the misleading ad about welfare reform the Romney campaign released this week.

“FAN is disturbed by the demeaning campaign ad and conversation about welfare by the Romney campaign,” it said in a release.

Also see here
Nuns Challenege Romney To Spend A Day With Them And Learn About The US's Poor

Franciscans Friars:
"Our Christian tradition teaches that we are to treat the poor with dignity and to prioritize the poor in our policies as a society," the organization said in a press release. "At a time when millions are struggling financially, it is degrading to talk about the 'dependency' of people hurting in this economy, as Gov. Romney did recently."

The group was referring to a recent statement by Romney where he accused President Barack Obama of fostering a "culture of dependency" by removing a long-standing work requirement for welfare recipients -- a charge that multiple organizations have pointed out is blatantly untrue.

Often on ATS it has been pointed out that there is a contradiction between the rhetoric of faith for political purposes/agenda and the true Christian faith and the teachings of JC.

The Catholic Nuns and Friars are genuine Christians...not just on Sundays....

Interested in members opinions.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Well, at the moment, I'm confused. I'm Wiccan but my whole family across my Mother's side is as Catholic as the Pope. The Catholics are embroiled in a lawsuit against Obama over the mandates of the care package. Now..it's whack a mole on Romney's side to? Umm.. 'None of the Above' isn't on the Ballot and Ron Paul is no favorite to the Church...so if Obama is out and Romney is out...do they know something we don't?

I don't THINK the ballots have a little box for Rapture, do they? (Hey..if the world keeps going the way it is, it may not be a joke forever.)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Well, at the moment, I'm confused. I'm Wiccan but my whole family across my Mother's side is as Catholic as the Pope. The Catholics are embroiled in a lawsuit against Obama over the mandates of the care package. Now..it's whack a mole on Romney's side to? Umm.. 'None of the Above' isn't on the Ballot and Ron Paul is no favorite to the Church...so if Obama is out and Romney is out...do they know something we don't?

I don't THINK the ballots have a little box for Rapture, do they? (Hey..if the world keeps going the way it is, it may not be a joke forever.)

Evidently they aren't quite embroiled as some think. I just can't tell right now.

second
edit on 10-8-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Well, at the moment, I'm confused. I'm Wiccan but my whole family across my Mother's side is as Catholic as the Pope. The Catholics are embroiled in a lawsuit against Obama over the mandates of the care package.

The beef with Obama stems from the Vatican Hierarchy...This comes from the troops - Catholic Nuns. They have been bucking the Vatican leadership as of late, and accurately pointing out that they are beholden to God and JC first and will continue to assist the poor as JC did.

My favorite story about Mother Theresa was when she was summoned to the Vatican from her orphanage in Calcutta. The attendant to the Pope told her she could not be seen by the Pope her dirty, ragged dress. Mother Theresa responded "This dress is good enough for God" and she left. The Pope, realizing the blunder, sent a limozine and driver to Calcutta for Mother Theresa to get around in as an apology. She sold the car for money for the orphanage and sent the driver back to Rome.

I have great respect for Catholic Nuns and true Christians... Not so much for those that wear thier faith as a campaign button.
edit on 10-8-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
For reference, I found this from a couple days ago,

The Archdiocese of New York is among more than 40 Catholic organizations, charities and schools that are suing over Obama's mandate that employers provide health insurance that covers birth control. Evangelical, Jewish and other religious leaders have joined U.S. bishops in pressing for a broader religious exemption, including for faith-affiliated hospitals, colleges and social service groups. As the head of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, Dolan has said the White House policy is "strangling" the church.
Kaiser Health News

I'd thought there were more Diocese involved but less total number so it's interesting either way. I also saw a couple headlines about Protestants suing on the same basis. I suppose the Church may have splits as much as Society as a whole on this one. At least in the US and among some %.

Anyway, to the Topic...color me about as confused as before. lol.. One side hates Obama, one side doesn't like Romney. Well, I've never seen divisions like that before. Anyone else?

edit on 10-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I suppose the Church may have splits as much as Society as a whole on this one. At least in the US and among some %.

Nuns to Vatican: No compromise on mission integrity
content.usatoday.com...

How should U.S. Catholic nuns and sisters -- rebuked by the Vatican for paying more attention to social justice issues than to championing pro-life doctrine -- stand up to Rome?

Calmly, with integrity in tact, their leadership concluded this week in an much-watched meeting of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious, the umbrella group of leaders representing 80% of America's nuns.

Essentially the vatican wants to see the US Nuns doing less of that "help the poor" thing and more of telling the poor "you will burn in hell" thing.

The US Nuns are holding thier ground.

ALSO...Don't forget the Franciscan Friars..They are also Roman Catholics, and in many ways the more Orthodox wing...they too have chosen to speak up.

Like I said...I respect true faith...the Pope isn't God and Romney's idealogy is not Christian, at least not to anyone that has read the Bible's teachings concerning the poor.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Perhaps I should be more confused than I am, but I don't see the problem. Catholics are about a quarter of the population and they voted for Obama (I think it was about 54%)

There are some groups within the church that reflect that. Nuns are traditionally more liberal. These are groups that disagree and are free to express that disagreement. (Within certain limits, just as a Muslim cleric couldn't announce that the Jews are God's people and Muslims must convert.)

I'm not surprised or confused, but maybe I'm missing something.

Romney and Obama are both concerned about the poor, they have different ways of solving that problem. As long as neither way is immoral, the Church won't get concerned. It's called a prudential judgment. These groups have focused on one plan as the only way to help the poor. I admire their concern and passion but . . .

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

I'm not surprised or confused, but maybe I'm missing something.

Romney and Obama are both concerned about the poor, they have different ways of solving that problem. As long as neither way is immoral, the Church won't get concerned. It's called a prudential judgment. These groups have focused on one plan as the only way to help the poor. I admire their concern and passion but . . .

Yes...I do think you missed something. This isn't a disagreement in "different ways" to help the poor it is about the Franciscan Friars and the Catholic Nuns calling out Romney for DEMONIZING the poor.

Sister Campbell said “Recent advertisements and statements from the campaign of Governor Romney demonize families in poverty and reflect woeful ignorance about the challenges faced by tens of millions of American families in these tough economic times,” stated Sister Simone Campbell. “We are all God’s children and equal in God’s eyes."

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Dear Indigo5,

Hi, again. Been a while.

I may very well missed something, but I wonder if Sister Campell is expressing her opinion of how the ads struck her, or if Romney actually has "demonized" the poor. I admit that I haven't seen campaign ads from either side (my stomach can't take it), but just on the surface, it doesn't sound too likely.

Again, just on the surface, it seems as though these groups have a particular program or programs in mind that they don't like Romney's approach to.

With respect,
Charles1952

P.s. After take a look for her on the search engines, I find she is also a lawyer and a "very outspoken" nun, who appears on MSNBC, attacks the Ryan budget, and has been taking flak from the Vatican, among other things. She is not the "average Catholic" shall we say. - C.

P.p.s. It's really good to see you again. I hope things are going decently. - C

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Well, at the moment, I'm confused. I'm Wiccan but my whole family across my Mother's side is as Catholic as the Pope. The Catholics are embroiled in a lawsuit against Obama over the mandates of the care package.

The beef with Obama stems from the Vatican Hierarchy...This comes from the troops - Catholic Nuns. They have been bucking the Vatican leadership as of late, and accurately pointing out that they are beholden to God and JC first and will continue to assist the poor as JC did.

My favorite story about Mother Theresa was when she was summoned to the Vatican from her orphanage in Calcutta. The attendant to the Pope told her she could not be seen by the Pope her dirty, ragged dress. Mother Theresa responded "This dress is good enough for God" and she left. The Pope, realizing the blunder, sent a limozine and driver to Calcutta for Mother Theresa to get around in as an apology. She sold the car for money for the orphanage and sent the driver back to Rome.

I have great respect for Catholic Nuns and true Christians... Not so much for those that wear thier faith as a campaign button.

Great story, great christianity. Or whatever one wants to call it. A true heart, rare and beautiful.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

I suppose the Church may have splits as much as Society as a whole on this one. At least in the US and among some %.

Nuns to Vatican: No compromise on mission integrity
content.usatoday.com...

How should U.S. Catholic nuns and sisters -- rebuked by the Vatican for paying more attention to social justice issues than to championing pro-life doctrine -- stand up to Rome?

Calmly, with integrity in tact, their leadership concluded this week in an much-watched meeting of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious, the umbrella group of leaders representing 80% of America's nuns.

Essentially the vatican wants to see the US Nuns doing less of that "help the poor" thing and more of telling the poor "you will burn in hell" thing.

The US Nuns are holding thier ground.

ALSO...Don't forget the Franciscan Friars..They are also Roman Catholics, and in many ways the more Orthodox wing...they too have chosen to speak up.

Like I said...I respect true faith...the Pope isn't God and Romney's idealogy is not Christian, at least not to anyone that has read the Bible's teachings concerning the poor.

If your're going to call a spade a spade, please do so indiscriminately. Thanks. In reference,Obama's idealogy is not Christian.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel

If your're going to call a spade a spade, please do so indiscriminately. Thanks. In reference,Obama's idealogy is not Christian.

That's a big and complex claim and it is also a topic for another thread.

This thread is about Catholic Nuns and Franciscan Friars calling out the Romney camp on demonizing the poor.

top topics

join