It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania distributes Potassium Iodide tablets to those living near Nuclear facilities.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Being I live in Pa, this one comes as a shocker that maybe something really is about to go down. I would love to hear from those living in other states, to see if perhaps this is just a safe guard that is happening everywhere or if this is just something happening in my state...

News for Immediate Release
Aug. 6, 2012
Free Potassium Iodide Tablets Available Aug. 9 from Department of Health
Pills Offered at 14 Locations Statewide
Harrisburg – The Department of Health is again providing free potassium iodide,
or KI, tablets on Thursday, Aug. 9, to help Pennsylvanians be prepared for public
health emergencies involving nuclear facilities.
Pennsylvanians who live, work or attend school within a 10-mile radius of one of
the state’s five nuclear power plants can get free potassium iodide, or KI, tablets.
Taken as directed during a radiological emergency, KI can help protect the thyroid
gland against harmful radioactive iodine.
Individuals should only take KI tablets when directed to do so by state health
officials or the governor.
Four 65-milligram tablets will be provided to each adult. Smaller doses will be given
to children, based on their age. Individuals can pick up KI tablets for other family
members or those who are unable to pick them up on their own. Directions
detailing when to take the tablets and how to store them will also be provided at
each location.
Anyone can take the tablets as long as they are not allergic to KI. They are safe for
pregnant women and those who are breastfeeding, people on thyroid medicine,
children and infants. Individuals who are unsure if they should take KI should ask a
healthcare provider.
Individuals who are unable to get tablets during the Aug. 9 distribution can pick
them up any time at county and municipal health departments or state health
centers.
Pennsylvania’s five nuclear power plants are closely regulated, secure and wellmaintained.
The facilities are: Beaver Valley Power Station, Limerick Generating
Station, Peach Bottom Atomic Power Station, Susquehanna Steam Electric Station
and Three Mile Island Nuclear Generating Station

Link to get PDF

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The article states "Again" they are giving them out, so it appears that they have done this before now. I think it's a good idea and would take them up on their offer if I lived there. I don't think it means you have to be worried about anything that you wouldn't normally worry about living that close to a nuclear facility.

I am curious if all areas with nuclear facilities to do though? I do not live near one myself.
edit on 8/10/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

The article states "Once Again" they are giving them out, so it appears that they have done this before now. I think it's a good idea and would take them up on their offer if I lived there. I don't think it means you have to be worried about anything that you wouldn't normally worry about living that close to a nuclear facility.

I am curious if all areas with nuclear facilities to do though? I do not live near one myself.

Yea, I don't live in a "close" vicinity either. That is why I posted this, was to see if other states are doing the same thing or for some reason is it just PA. Thus putting this thread in the conspiracy forum.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

The article states "Once Again" they are giving them out, so it appears that they have done this before now. I think it's a good idea and would take them up on their offer if I lived there. I don't think it means you have to be worried about anything that you wouldn't normally worry about living that close to a nuclear facility.

Yea, I don't live in a "close" vicinity either. That is why I posted this, was to see if other states are doing the same thing or for some reason is it just PA. Thus putting this thread in the conspiracy forum.

I see now. Sorry.
Surely out of all of ATS we have folks who live in these areas that can tell us what the status quo is. It would make me paranoid to live that close to a nuclear facility I think.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I found This, which was in August from last year. It seems like this may be some kind of yearly thing.

Although it seems a bit strange, I don't think it's any kind of preparation for any upcoming disaster.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I see now. Sorry. Surely out of all of ATS we have folks who live in these areas that can tell us what the status quo is. It would make me paranoid to live that close to a nuclear facility I think.

Been a long while since the 3 mile island incident. I live about 4 hours from there, so not sure why I can't get any! I mean 4 hours from a nuclear site is nothing....Plus I love "FREE" stuff!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RomeByFire

I found This, which was in August from last year. It seems like this may be some kind of yearly thing.

Although it seems a bit strange, I don't think it's any kind of preparation for any upcoming disaster.

I am sure you both are correct! At least I am hoping you are! But one can never be too careful in this crazy world we are all living in.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Nothing new here. Nuke facilities are REQUIRED by law to make them readily available for everyone within a certain perimeter.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I see now. Sorry. Surely out of all of ATS we have folks who live in these areas that can tell us what the status quo is. It would make me paranoid to live that close to a nuclear facility I think.

Been a long while since the 3 mile island incident. I live about 4 hours from there, so not sure why I can't get any! I mean 4 hours from a nuclear site is nothing....Plus I love "FREE" stuff!

I know that's right!!
I live in VA and briefly contemplated the trip to get some "free stuff" of my own.
Gas is too high...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Nothing new here. Nuke facilities are REQUIRED by law to make them readily available for everyone within a certain perimeter.

Thank you for clarifying and proving my suspicions for paranoia! I never new they did that, so thank you for teaching me something I didn't know!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Hun, This is not a new thing, they have been giving them out every few years.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Thank you for clarifying and proving my suspicions for paranoia! I never new they did that, so thank you for teaching me something I didn't know!

\Not a problem. I live in Portland, there used to be a nuclear facility just across the river in Washington. Thats how I learned about it.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Mods, feel free to close this thread! My suspicions were proven null and void! But I did learn something new today!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Just checked with my mom who lived for years within 10 miles of berwick power plant and she said it is normal procedure, they hand them out every year or so...

everything should be OK.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Like I ALWAYS say, nuclear power plants are completely safe....

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

They did this years ago in Connecticut, I got my own supply after 9/11.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I have family in the hand out range. This is a yearly thing and you are supposed to carry them on your person. In the event of a problem the siren goes off and you are supposed to take your pills. The pills are intended to blunt the bodies uptake of harmful particles and must be consumed rapidly to achieve protection. The need for speed is why they are given out on a regular basis. The family that live there really couldn't care less. Me, it would make nervous.

I think there actually was a slight incident earlier in August (late July?) but was minor equipment related and caused no problem other than a temporary shut down.

new topics

top topics

join