It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Stripe On The Sun - Is Earth In Serious Danger?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Hi,
Just an observation;

Yesterday at about 8pm PST, our power surged and caused funky stuff with some electronics...
My surveillance dvr uses four cameras; #1 facing WSW was the only camera to go blank until I had to dis- then re- connect it.

There have been alot of times in the last two years that I could identify a CME by way of my DVR timestamps.
I can't say anything to the number of CMEs increasing, but some seem to be better at stalling my dvr than others.

My dvr btw is powered from an off-grid source; solar...

So, whatever effected my electronics yesterday, effected both sources.
I doubt I can effect any kind of survivorship should the Sun decide to extinguish me.

Intriguing times indeed.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Nothing here to see, move along.
Well unless you are gonna go to the sun ala bruce willis and fix something that is.
Why even concern yourself with something you could do nothing about??
Open the window and let some air in, or just get out of the house and look for yourself, there is a huge ball of fire in the sky just like every other day before.
I have good reason to believe it will be there for awhile too.
If not, open a bottle and enjoy!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
From the off site content that s a massively serious situation - someone please tell me thats not that
Or something at least

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

A filament (or, rather, a prominence) is just an arch of plasma. What does it matter how fast it's growing? All prominences form rapidly. The impressive aspect is its size. It's the largest on record. And it could very well detach to produce a CME (given its size, a potentially large CME). But, still, there's no indication that even the largest prominence on record would produce the largest CME on record. We're hardly in danger, let alone serious danger.

Just for fun, here's a prominence erupting to produce a CME, from April 16:

Giant Prominence Erupts

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
"Due to my lack of knowledge, I will hold my tongue as to what I believe is happening"

Dont we all wish this was posted more often on ATS forums?

Unfortunately this was only part of the original response from romebyfire.

But none the less I was inspired to put my 2 cents in and make the following statement as what I think about this sun thing:
Due to my lack of knowledge, I will hold my tounge as to what I believe is happening.
end of statement. Good bye.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I really don't know what to think about the "huge stripe on the sun"; maybe it is just a natural occurrence.

What I find really interesting is the belief by some; that someday (maybe) the sun will swallow up the earth; and the earth will be no more.

Link: www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Hmm, latest image soho:

soho.nascom.nasa.gov...

That's from 8/8, a couple days ago. And that crack looks like it has spread to an immense size. I think there might be some confusion as to which crack the story in OP is referring to. Cause I think this might be a new one. A MASSIVE new one. Which means when it blows, hope it isn't facing the earth.

edit on Fri Aug 10th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

WTF? Look at that massive area there in the middle...
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Damn I wish I had an H-Alpha filter! I will be photographing the sun tomorrow and sunday would love to have been able to capture this filament

Now my less scientific side more conspiracy spirituality side says,

Reminded me a lot of this...

Maybe the power will finally go out this weekend and we will get super power upgrades! YAY!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Hmm, latest image soho:

soho.nascom.nasa.gov...

That's from 8/8, a couple days ago. And that crack looks like it has spread to an immense size. I think there might be some confusion as to which crack the story in OP is referring to. Cause I think this might be a new one. A MASSIVE new one. Which means when it blows, hope it isn't facing the earth.

Your source in the OP is garbage.

www.solarham.net...

That's a current image of active regions on the sun. No filament, it erupted. Also, I think the filament your source is referring to is one that erupted last year, not even this most recent eruption.

thewatchers.adorraeli.com...

Nov. 18, 2011 (800,000 km filament)

Story sounds identical.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
OP screenshot shows 5th august 2012
So how about them apples.
edit on 10-8-2012 by Cyanhide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by RomeByFire

EDIT: Forgot to add, the above quotes are from the main article OP linked, just to clarify.

And this part is false:

NASA forecasts that in September 2012, there will be outbreaks of unprecedented power.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ZIPMATT

From the off site content that s a massively serious situation - someone please tell me thats not that

Or something at least

I found a similar alrming crack but this one is ON EARTH!!

OMG….look at it!!

Oops….that’s just the Grand Canyon! My bad!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
Damn I wish I had an H-Alpha filter! I will be photographing the sun tomorrow and sunday would love to have been able to capture this filament

Maybe the power will finally go out this weekend and we will get super power upgrades! YAY!

Ha! Was thinking the exact same thing and just happened to be watching Heroes when I opened this. Yatta!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

A MASSIVE new one. Which means when it blows, hope it isn't facing the earth.

No, not fearmongering at all.

And that's not a new one, the same one is still there. Watching the animation (this one is the best), it's not even that impressive of a prominence, aside from its length. It doesn't extend far from the sun. It's just really long.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

A MASSIVE new one. Which means when it blows, hope it isn't facing the earth.

Filament eruptions are not necessarily a concern. Active region CMEs produce more action. But when they collapse back into the Sun they can produce a very bright flare (Hyder flare), but again nothing of much interest other than to scientists.
edit on 8/10/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hey! I saw that edit. Backtracking now from "are not a concern" to "not necessarily a concern?". Like maybe because this is the longest on record and if it did blow facing the earth it might cause some problems?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

EDIT: Forgot to add, the above quotes are from the main article OP linked, just to clarify.

And this part is false:

NASA forecasts that in September 2012, there will be outbreaks of unprecedented power.

That doesn't surprise me really, I take everything with a bucket of salt and this story is no exception. Just curious, how exactly is it false? Just from my first impressions on the website OP linked, it doesn't seem very credible but as I said earlier, this is not my expertise by any means.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Neither NASA or anyone else has the ability to forecast Solar activity more than a few days in advance.

There are sunspot number predictions but they have nothing to do with the intensity of Solar activity.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Okay, thank you for clearing that up.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

Originally posted by abeverage

Ha! Was thinking the exact same thing and just happened to be watching Heroes when I opened this. Yatta!

My Spiritual side says Whoa...synchronicity!

My science brain side says meh...coincidence.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join