It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else feel like this?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by samerulesapply

You said it man. I've been going crazy... Wondering if i'm the only one who REALLY cares. I'm going to print that off and post it on my fridge. I'm quite relieved.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by samerulesapply

Why do people care more about watching television, getting wasted on drink and other substances, what their hair looks like and how they are dressed? Is it conditioning of some kind?

I think it has to do with a collective depression and feeling helpless. When people say things like "Ron Paul will never get elected." or "There will never be free energy, stupid!" I say then that they have to admit the system is broken which produces one of those thousand mile stares as they usually make a joke and then change the subject.

What you are describing is the reason why I deleted my fb acct.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by goh13
Could I still be sane when I become 30 years old?

as long as you keep striving for knowledge and happiness. when people don't care about finding new things, new hobbies, new interests, new pleasures they lose their minds to boredom

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by greenie65
I just wish I could get most of you into a large venue so we could solve the worlds problems face to face (over adult beverages..of course.)

solving the world's problems is simple, get off fossil fuels. it will give us a unifying goal worldwide, stop most wars, clean up this planet (not go to Mars and take pictures in my opinion) and building the infrastructure and new products which would put people to work. We have to decentralize power around the world and let citizens act locally to solve local issues without oppression from bureaucrats and corporations. solved now let's have a beer

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
But is it the people to blame? Or the media for polluting their head with so much nonsense?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I too am absolutely amazed at how stupid people are and how they are sooooooo caught up in the latest tv programme, or what some star is up too, aaaaahhhh.... even tho I am aware of the reasons why this is so. I am however very fortunate as I have 10 friends who are "wide awake". We all get together as often as we can and talk about anything and everything. With all the different points of view , the time together is always enlightening, and the conversation interesting, really good mind food for us. We also have alot of other friends who come and go who join us when they are around which also adds to our ever expanding knowledge. Having these friends keeps me sane, working and living in the current matrix saps my energy.
Reguarding the "asleep" people they have been fed a diet for most of their lives of TV which has been proved to make you dumb, bad education which makes you dumb, food which is poisoned (and makes us overeat because it has so few nutrients our bodies are craving more food hopefully this time with the vitamins and minerals it needs), fastfood and bad food makes you dumb, the water has flouride in it, which............yip makes you dumb, etc, etc.
It is very hard for some people to withstand this onslaught.
Altho I have some very, very healthy, bright friends who just can't cope with the info. I am drip feeding it to them very very slowly as to have all the truth suddenly thrust upon them would be way too much for them, and they are not the only ones.
Often there are awake people out there but they are afraid of making themselves known as they fear derision. I have found that if I send my "awake" vibe out into the universe then these sorts of people inexplicably make themselves known to me, conversation starts and bingo I have someone else to talk to about this sort of thing. It's quite funny as these people often comment that they don't speak about this sort of thing to anyone and can't work out why they've talked to me about it. After a few converstions they understand tho, and then they are able to do the same thing. Cool as..... So! send your awake vibe out and expect a response, you never know what will happen.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Like most everyone else I feel exactly the same. I hardly bring up the things I'm interested in anymore as I either get ridiculed or the occasional nod and smile when it's obvious they haven't a clue as to what I'm talking about. It's deeply disheartening and I find it harder and harder to engage in conversation with those in my daily life. The interwebz are my only real outlet for discussing these topics.

It's sad, but I once had a guy pretend to be interested in these things just to impress me and on the surface he was convincing, however once I attempted to engage him in any deep conversation he was completely clueless. I foolishly thought he had genuine interest and perhaps I could help him find his answers. Sadly the only answer he was looking for was what was the quickest way into my pants....

Anyway, obviously there's tons of cool people with our interests out there... I just can't seem to find any close to me and I live in a good sized town in a centralized location. Every guy I've connected with has been online and inevitably lives thousands of miles away...

As a side note I'm increasingly irritated with the kids who are too young to know what life was like without all the cool gadgets and even the Internet. I remember when I had to spend hours at the library to find the answers to my questions. Now you have the world literally at your fingertips in a device small enough to fit in your pocket. I'm glad I grew up in the time I did so that I can truly appreciate what the Internet and technology has afforded us. It does seem crazy to only be in my early 30s and feel like a dinosaur just because I knew life before the Internet.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Along with the majority of mindless follower types, I think that there are a lot of folks who stick to popular mainstream conversation out of a general mistrust of others as well as fears related to self esteem.

Personally, I stopped having meaningful conversations with (most)others a long time ago and actually just avoid most people entirely. For several reasons:

1. Everyone knows how volatile religion and politics are in conversation - and generally lead absolutely nowhere but bad feelings for everyone. I have never experienced a discussion on these subjects with people who have different beliefs that ends with people understanding or considering an alternative belief. It's always "agree to disagree".

2. Most conversations seem to revolve around sports, sex, pop culture and if you're in the country, trucks. I'm always amazed at how much people can talk about the same things and how very tired I am of hearing the same conversations. I'm the same with music. Sure, Pink Floyd is great and all - don't care if I ever hear it again because I've heard the same dang songs for over 25 years now. Sports baffles me the most as I will never understand how people even find it remotely interesting to dwell on the competition of others. I get it - you bonded with your father over football and now have it ingrained that that's just the best darn thing in the world.

3. So, common interests then. Yeah - after the exciting initial conversation/s that we dig the same thing there's not much left beyond that anymore and sooner or later we're going to find something we highly disagree on so what's the point of continuing this? Did you hear we're going to get rain?

As I've gotten older, I've realized just how little people really care about knowing you or hearing your opinion on things. Most just want to center on their own dramas and get your attention cookies from you. It's incredibly depressing.

They also seem completely impervious to change. When I tell people I haven't eaten @ McDonalds in over 20 years, they stare in disbelief and vow how they could never do that. Or that I stopped eating out and going to places altogether because of the smoking laws gets "You're not going to change anything, why bother?"

editing to add: As far as the Curiosity achievement goes, I personally haven't been able to feel any excitement about the landing itself and actually am fairly unimpressed with it but I can't explain why. I think I was hoping for something big, scary and interesting to happen(still am, actually) but so far, it's just pictures of a dusty landscape and that just doesn't rock my socks off.

edit on 12-8-2012 by gottaknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I think it is a survival instinct,I mean humanity as a whole has always been curious, but as society has evolved and changed most of humanity has become more engrossed by the daily lives of other people, or becoming to comfortable with life style.

Which means no one needs to ''survive'' anymore. Not in the survival of the fittest sense anyway.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Thank you good sir, if I were to sum up how I feel at the moment, it would be eerily similar to this.

Kudos, we all feel the same brother.

I too find it strange that nobody wants to talk about life and the universe in a philosophical manner of thinking.

Where we are now, and where we will be in the not so distant future.

Alas, we will see.

Peace

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
i totally agree with you a lot of my close friends are blind at the fact that what they are eating is not god for them GMO etc and the police state we are falling into and the conflicts around the world they are careless and missinformed and when it comes down to the subject i cant beleave what comes out of there mouths but i wont go deep into it .
s.f that was a great release of emotion
i enjoyed reading

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'm exactly the same. I'm all for having a good time and doing things in moderation but I'm constantly thinking about who we are, where we're from, how things work ect.

I go about my daily business ie working during the day and spending my time with family after it and everyday I just see people in auto mode. I try to strike up conversations about life, areas in science ect but i get nothing but weird looks or comments. It's like i'm living in a different reality from most people.

I'd love to meet someone who thinks like i do and can have a really in depth conversation away from soaps, work, drinking, everyday mundane stuff. Glad there's others like me around, I just gotta meet them!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

You and I are much alike. I am the only one in my family/circle of friends/coworkers who questions reality and tries to dig deeper, to see beyond the superficial. I'm sure at times even my spouse thinks I'm a bit nuts. It can be very isolating. However, it's always nice to know that there are other folks with the same hunger to know more. I've come to the conclusion that folks like us just have a certain extra "something"... perhaps it is a divine spark or something in our DNA.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I've never felt extra special or "enlightened" or anything like that.

But I have always been curious about the world, as you said you have. I've always had a love of astronomy, religions, ancient history and civilizations. More recently, I've also become interested in survival, preservation of the earth, weather, GMO's, government and yes, conspiracies.

I love reading and love discussing all sorts of topics, which is one reason I love coming on ATS, but like you and many others, I find it hard to find people who want to talk about any of those topics in real life.

I find that most people shut down, so to speak, when I bring up anything that could get into uncomfortable territory. I don't bring up things in an angry, know-it-all way. I don't condescend. I don't judge.

The moment that I start discussing anything, it usually ends rather abruptly with them just going "yeah...well, I don't know. So, did you see The Amazing Race the other night...I couldn't believe that blonde girl..." It's even worse when I mention something that could have a detrimental effect on our lives. Like our rapid use of resources, nonrenewable energy, Fukushima, etc. and all they want to talk about is some celebrity wedding or something similar.

It gets frustrating. I don't think these people are any less intelligent than me, otherwise I likely wouldn't have brought up the topic with them to begin with. (And I know I've still got a long ways to go before I'm as well rounded as I'd like to be) I don't think they're sheeple, blinded by the MSM. I think they just don't care. And that, to me, is almost more sad. At least someone asleep can be shaken awake.

I know it may sound like I can't have "fun" conversations with people at all, and that's certainly not the case. I have been playing lego batman 2 for the past week and I do have a couple of tv shows I enjoy just for the sake of enjoyment, so I'm certainly still plugged in a bit! - but I don't like to completely immerse myself in Hollywood gossip, and who's wearing what.

There are more important things, and it's upsetting that most refuse to even talk about it. Because how can we fix the issues, if we won't even discuss them?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by greenie65

On the bright side... I know all is not lost because I know most ATS members seem pretty intelligent. I just wish I could get most of you into a large venue so we could solve the worlds problems face to face (over adult beverages..of course.)

I think you're exactly right. Let's get on this. We'll make a kickstarter and get funding so we can all take a couple weeks off from our lives and get the world sorted out!

Really, I'd actually love to meet several of you, especially the ones replying to this subject. I've read through most of the responses, and as someone else mentioned, we do have similar writing styles and vocabulary. Which is strange and quite telling.

Even if we couldn't actually solve any problems, it would be so nice to have the conversation!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jacktorrance
reply to post by greenie65

On the bright side... I know all is not lost because I know most ATS members seem pretty intelligent. I just wish I could get most of you into a large venue so we could solve the worlds problems face to face (over adult beverages..of course.)

I think you're exactly right. Let's get on this. We'll make a kickstarter and get funding so we can all take a couple weeks off from our lives and get the world sorted out!

Really, I'd actually love to meet several of you, especially the ones replying to this subject. I've read through most of the responses, and as someone else mentioned, we do have similar writing styles and vocabulary. Which is strange and quite telling.

Even if we couldn't actually solve any problems, it would be so nice to have the conversation!

I agree with you there.
Good catch.
edit on 13-8-2012 by schweizer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
From reading this thread it seems like a lot of us feel similar to this way. Maybe we should create an island where we can all live together and discuss and create ideas (Just hope it doesn't end up like the Bioshock games)

Edit: Wait...this is why we have ATS......

edit on 13-8-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I think someone already hit the crux of the matter, and for me aswell, it seems to be the advance of technology.
Magic, to a magician, isn't magic. Its paint to an artist. Once its tangible, its lost its veil of awe. Im 26 years old, and sometimes I think of the romanticism around posting a letter, as opposed to posting a comment. About the honor of having a chance meeting with a stranger, and not hunting them down on facebook to add them to a live feed of mundane nonsense - just having the moment, and letting it go.

With regards the 'bigger picture,' and how the majority of people rarely, if ever, question their place therein, entertainment is the word of god, television the book, and money the law.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jacktorrance

I second that, to me it's not necessarily stupidity - althought there's a lot of that about...but ye, they just don't seem to care. Most people I see on a regular basis are focused on the self...here and now. It's a shame 'cos they ain't all bad people...or stupid, just selfish.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by schweizer

I agree with you there. Good catch.

It was actually awakenedhybrid that originally caught it. I went back and read through the replies again and was amazed that he/she saw it!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join