It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those with misdemeanors and certain felonies

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

I like how you mention all that.
When it comes to interviewing, I'm not /that/ good at it. Any where from the question 'tell me about yourself' to 'what is your greatest weakness' to 'tell me about a time when you had something that needed done on the job and this that and the other happened; how did you handle it."

I have good answers, but somehow that little running commentary in the back of my mind makes me think my answers are not good enough. I also realize after every single interview that I start almost every sentence opener with "Well....." and then finish every answer with, "and so."

"Well....... let's see.....I'm a hard worker, very dependable. I put the company first and treat it as if it were my own. I strive to do the best I can possibly do, leaving work at work and home stuff at home..... and so...."

Every. single. time. I think it's a nervous tick or something. I'm watching some vids on the 'tube about how to interview properly. HOPEFULLY I can stop saying that.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

i agree it can be HARD.. i think you need to relax more,, and practice with friends who Wont (white-lie) and tell you,, its "good" when it really Isn't--

eye contact,, saying sentences that have a point, and have definitive End..

as an example--

if you we're selling Girl-Scout cookies,,

and you said >>
" i have 11 flavors of Girl-scout cookies that i'm selling to support the future, of our female leaders in our community.. I know i have a flavor you'r family will enjoy, for only 4 dollars a box!""

or >>

"""Uhhmm Hi!?!? uhh You wouldent want to buy any girl-scout cookies, would you? well would your wife wanna buy any?"""

big Difference.. ehh?

edit on 8/10/12 by darrman because: add a thingy

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Definitely a difference, yes!

My 'thing' is that I'm trying hard to impress and hoping what I talk about is what they want to hear. I'd NEVER make a good salesman, that's for sure. Saleswoman? Anyway. I think the 'issue' is that I've always worked fast food and there isn't much 'tell me a success story' one can use. I never made the company 9 million. I never gained them a huge client. Or whatever it is that makes a successful person in that line of work, haha. Sure, I brighten customers days by doing my best to ensure each leaves with a smile on their face. I have enough tales of upset customers who got their order wrong and I made sure they left satisfied. I guess I just don't feel like I've worked those bright shining amazing Fortune500 company type jobs where I could sell myself. I rely on the fact I'm extremely customer orientated and do the best job I can. Sadly, those things can't pull the entire interview.

I"m working diligently on it. That's why replies may be slow. I'm reading and watching interview tricks on how to master any and all questions posed during the process.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

here is what i do today..>> www.abovetopsecret.com...

i SELL my service to strangers Every day.. its sometimes like, going on 10 interviews, in a day..lol

read a little about my thread and tell me what you think..

Darrman

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

I'll do that and get right back to you. Thanks!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
That sounds kind of cool. I'm in the process of selling a lot of my stuff to make money. As of right now, I have about 150 dollars to my name unless I sell the rest of my ps2 games and my dvd's. If I can ever save the money to get my license back so I can finally get a car, I could then get into that business. I'm unsure if there are folk around here like that. I live in a supremely rural area, you see.

Still, any and all ideas are warmly welcomed and fully considered. Pots of gold DO pop up in the most unexpected places and means, after all.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I have been in your situation before and it is extremely hard to find a job and stay with it... I have been fortunate and even going back to school... My advice it to just keep looking... There are some applications that ask if you have been convicted in the last 5 or 10 years.... then you can answer that one just fine and say no... as far as the other one, i just was honest and did not know if I would ever find a job.... I do have my rights back and that helps so check into getting your rights back. It is free and the clemency board of your state can do it... just petition them and you don't even have to have a lawyer.... Good luck

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

AND

you can always U2U me.. if you ever want/need any good (and private) conversation..

or a honest sounding board, for your stuff..

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Thanks, both of you!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

That is weak, please don't let that thing dwell you out of the market you focus on it they will too..
You have other skills so distance yourself from the past DO NOT bring it up unless they do. Only felonies you have to report.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
reply to post by OrphenFire

Orphan, here in Illinois, there IS no 7 or 10 year thing. They go back far as ones juvenile years, sadly.

And no, can't move. Far too expensive. I'll be fine in less than a year. I have the end of the rainbow showing brighter and brighter for me. I hope the same happens for the other poster in here.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by freakshowfatty

Aw Freak.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

I actually agree with you. It's definitely a 50/50 for me as well. When each State can have their own rules and laws, it's good for many aspects. However, when things like this occur, it makes you rethink. I almost believe it'd BE easier to have one set of rules which covered the entire 50. However, that could make things mighty difficult in many aspects as well.

I fully hear you.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Were you able to enlist?

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I did, yes.
I had done my DEP from march 03 til I shipped out a week-ish after getting out of jail. I was in until I got injured and had to leave. Broke my heart as I was hoping to get my 20 years and retire. A huge reason why I opted to take the misdemeanor instead of waiting 3 more months in jail to drop it fully.

Hindsight is the most obvious wench out there, isn't it? I wanted my Army right then though and figured a mis wasn't bad at all. After all, it wasn't a felony.

heh. Hindsight....

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I am in So Il now due to husbands job transfer and I can agree with you that its horrible for an "ex con" an "ex felon" here is a pariah as far as employment. Im squeaky clean as is hubby and we at one time ran crime stoppers out here among other things. We worked WITH felons and dealt with many types. Certain types DEFINITELY do reform.. and some on a dime. Many folks were at the wrong place at the wrong time.. and pay for it for the rest of their lives. Ive dealt with an 18 yr old with violent crime convictions that reformed and is a freaking angel.. and a repeat offender ( 14 felonies by the age of ALMOST 32) who is churned out of our revolving door jail on to commit a drive by which killed a 14 yr old who was not the target. Ive tried to help a kid who is 19 and had a sexual relationship with a 17 yr old.. now a reg sex offender. They got married in April when she turned 18. He has an albatross of being a reg sex offender.. for having a relationship with his wife. He is RUINED. What kind of job can he possibly get?! HOW can he become a productive member of society when he has been put in a pigeon hole and is ruined. What will he turn to to feed his family. Are WE making criminals and repeat offenders as well?

The problem is the employer NEVER knows what type you are. They also never ask
They dont have to.. jobs are so scarce they can pick and choose easily in So Il. Probably everywhere now. So Il is notorious though and has been for ages.

I completely agree that employers SHOULD investigate an employee better in the application and interview process. If you check YES youve had a felony, you should be able to explain and the records should be made available to a potential employer. I dont think it will matter here though due to the overload of people and the few jobs.
We have free attys for everything else.. and pro bono private. You can represent yourself with the proper paperwork. Why we dont have an appeal for expungment process Ill never know.

I sure wish you luck for what thats worth. Youll never get bonded with your record to clean homes. Thats going to be your road block. Not for a theft conviction for sure.. and if there was a report.. false or not.. your record will follow you even if you manage to get bonded. I truly hope you can get it removed from your record.. its really your only way. It seems you have a desire to be your own person and provide for yourself.. why we dont have recourse for your type.. I have NO idea. You are made dependent on the state due to the states failure in managing its legal system more efficiently. Its pretty ridiculous if you ask me. SOme will say you did it to yourself.. like they do with most that are convicted.. you reap what you sow rhetoric. We are supposed to be a civilized forgiving society that desires industrious folks... like you. Its not like you murdered babies.. but you are looked on as such. I dont know.. this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Don't Do the Crime, If You Can't Do the Time .....

I heard that alot growing up. It should ring true with most people.
I see the injustice in what you have written. Society has become judgmental and unforgiving.
Just in my local area, if you have a felony on your record, apartment complexes won't rent to you.
Its out right discrimination. I don't see how these people get away with it. Laws should be made
to completely remove any ioda of discrimination. But that isn't going to happen because people
like their ability to push other people around. And its the same way with jobs. If you get convicted
of any kind of misdomeanor offense they won't hire you. Unless you have bookoo bucks to get a
good attorney to get the record expunged, you don't have a camel jockey's shot in hell of getting
it off your record.

I myself am not a convicted criminal. I had a girlfriend that had a felony and life has been tough for her.
But she made it that way on herself. And while I didn't like seeing the discrimination she felt from others,
she never accepted responsibility for her actions that put herself in that situation.

As long as people pay for their crimes and do not re-offend, the vail of suspicion should be lifted and never
held against them again. They've paid their dues. And if you haven't figured it out by now, the Justice System
in the United States is now to protecting the CRIMINALS because it gets its MONEY from them. They don't give a rats a$$ about the protecting the public. Think about it. The job of the PoPo (Police) is to serve and protect.
They serve the the City fathers and protect the Criminals. PERIOD !

edit on 8/11/2012 by Labrynth2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

There are plenty of jobs in Texas but no housing available for everyone.
The one thing that you touched on but don't really realize is that employers
are now required by law to run background checks on employee's.
I can even go down to the court house and run a background check on anyone for $5.00.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
I must add, yes, I have zero income. The only reason I'm able to start this house cleaning job is because a few kind folk are giving me cleaning supplies to get me on my feet. I'm still going to have to walk to houses with the supplies. But I'm determined. Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm able bodied. Walking will do me good. This town only has 1700 so it's not THAT huge

I applaud your stamina and strength, dear soul, and wish you the best in your endeavors. I live on a fixed income myself, and times are hard, rough, and they sometimes suck. Keep on Keeping on.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Have you been convicted of a criminal offense? As a matter of Adult Record? If so, then what you need to do here is petition the Court for Post Conviction relief.

Post Conviction Relief

What is Post-Conviction Relief? How Does the Process Work? (PDF File)

Do your homework, and you can file this petition yourself, without a Lawyer, who is, in reality, an Officer of the Court, and member of the Law Society. In other words, not on your side.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join