It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Meteorite Crater Found in Canadian Arctic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

It's 15 miles across; researchers say it's between 130 million and 350 million years old

Researchers in Canada's western Arctic have found evidence of a crater that formed when a huge meteorite slammed into Earth millions of years ago.

Measuring about 15 miles (25 kilometers) across, the formation was named the Prince Albert impact crater after the peninsula where it was discovered. Researchers don't know exactly when it was created, but evidence suggests the crater is between 130 million and 350 million years old, according to a statement from the University of Saskatchewan.

Meteors are fragments of asteroids or comets that enter Earth's atmosphere at high speeds; most are small, some as tiny as a grain of sand, so they disintegrate in the air, and only rarely are they large enough to make it to Earth's surface. When meteors slam into Earth, they are called meteorites.

A team of geologists spotted this newly identified meteorite crater while surveying the region for possible energy and mineral resources. They were initially intrigued by steeply tilted strata visible in river gorges and other features in the flat tundra of northwestern Victoria Island.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

This thing is huge!

Imagine one of these hitting us in today's world, it would be quite the event, perhaps extinction level. Either way this is an interesting find that sheds light on our ancient past. I would have liked to be part of the team who discovered this since it's absolutely amazing.

They say the largest crater ever found was in Iceland and it measured 62 miles (100 km) across. I can only imagine the destruction that impact caused.

Let's just hope none of these come our way any time soon or else

Peace.
edit on 10-8-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Majorly cool!
This is likely to be a very resource rich area too!.....The disturbance must go pretty far into the earths crust....
maybe some new source of gemstones or other interesting left overs?
Too bad its so darn far away up there...I imagine summer is only a few weeks long.....

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

It's a shame no one gave exact coordinates on the link, I would have liked to google earth'd the location.

In Quebec, Lake Manicouagan looks about 20 miles in diameter, that's a big one plus it's very well defined. There are smaller ones to the Northwest (Quebec) and Northeast (Labrador) just can't remember the location. Lake Mistassini (to the west) looks like it has been formed as part of a large arc with an additional lake following the same pattern, like concentric rings. If Lake Mistassini is part of an impact crater, the crater would be around 250 miles in diameter. Then there is Hudson's Bay and its almost perfect half arc which looks to be an impact crater about 500 miles in diameter.

There are some big craters out there ;-) The Earth is an amazing place!

Cheers - Dave[
edit on 8/10.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

You are probably right about it being rich in resources. The Sudbury Ontario region is rich in minerals and is said to be the spot of an ancient meteor impact.

I bet the corporations are already scoping out the area to see if there is anything for them to plunder. I hope at least it's Canadian corporations and workers who would mine this area if it were to contain resources.

I would consider taking some time off work to go up there and hop out.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

You raise a good point, it would be nice to know the coordinates so we can Google Earth it.

I'm going to look into this and post the coordinates if I find them.

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Cool stuff
But its a tiny thing in the world of impact craters.
Vredefort in south Africa is the largest known crater at 300k in dia., with sudbury second and chixilub third.
It's not big enough for an extinction event it would mess stuff up though.
There is evidence of an impact event in Australia in 536ad that may have been responsible the cooling trend that led to the dark ages.

new topics

top topics

join