It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belgium-sized rocky mass adrift off New Zealand. (VIDEO, PHOTOS)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Hi.

www.rt.com...

A gigantic raft of volcanic pumice pebbles has been spotted floating off the coast of New Zealand. Tim Oscar, a lieutenant with the New Zealand navy who was one of the first to set eyes on the volcanic phenomenon said it was the “weirdest thing” he had seen in 18 years at sea.

The nautical wonder measures 250 nautical miles in length and 30 nautical miles wide is roughly the size of Belgium. HMNZS Canterbury is currently ferrying scientists to the roiling raft to carry out tests on the rocks to ascertain which volcano they were expelled from.

I know a lot of us are keeping an eye on the earthquake situation. I saw this article and thought it was pretty interesting, I'm not sure what to make of it myself.

So what do you guys think is this really odd or what?

Anybody know what the difference is between a nautical mile and a land(?) mile?

edit on 10-8-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Well there was an eruption 4 days ago:
worldnews.nbcnews.com...

Makes more sense it comes from that IMO.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

Cool pic.......it looks like snow.

Could be I thought it would be from under the ocean.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Apparently it comes from an undersea volcano north of NewZealand called Mount Monowai check it out ,its interresting .Maybe its responsible for the big swells i have heard about on the aussie east coast . cheers

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by my1percent

Cool thanks. I kinda thought it came from an underwater eruption.

I'm going to check it out.

edit on 10-8-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout

Anybody know what the difference is between a nautical mile and a land(?) mile?

A nautical mile is about 800 feet longer at just over 6000 feet and is actually based on the earth's circumference (it's equivalent to one arc minute).

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Well, Is this a world first or have we had incidents like this before? Where is it heading
Someone might have an unexpected docking in the coming days...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
"Belgium-sized rocky mass adrift off New Zealand."

Maybe it IS Belgium? It got sick of living next door to France and felt like a change of scenery...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Deadletters

Thanks. I could have Googled it but I figured somebody here knew the answer.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Quick!
Someone buy it and claim it as a new country!!!

This is the first time I have heard of this type of phenomenon.
Makes since though.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

Interestingly, if it did come from monowai, this was the same volcano that grew massively in May.
BBC News

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Nice thread .

Flagged .

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Greetings Calvaryscout, ATS Readers, Writers,

S&F for this posting.

Not sure what 11,790 SQ. MILES, (land area of Belgium)..would work out to in cubic feet or meters of pumice ejecta. But, at first glance it would seem a significant amount.lol.

That area of the Australian plate has sure been active for some time.. I am thinking Christchurch EQ, etc.
The recent eruption of the inland volcano, now this comes out in the news..hmmm underwater source, so there is another spot going off... offshore.

Things have been "picking up" in these earth change type things. I am thinking the Canary Islands, they even evacuated an island there..and of course there is Japans disaster EQ..a bit more often and more intense..

Is earth going through another growth spurt? I imagine the New Zealand government is about to go nutters over trying to figure some sort of "contingencies" since the Christchurch disaster, and subsequent new activity. They MUST be trying to figure out if it is just a "temporary" event, or a precursor to more and even bigger earth changes. This pumice raft, and the volcano has certainly made even the "sleepiest" official come awake on the threats from nature, and how things just got a lot more "interesting".

I am kinda worried for the folks down in that area of the world.. good chance for some really bad tidal waves, etc; when something goes off..

We can only wait and see I guess... yeah, I found the story as the OP did,, hmmm.... wonder whats going on we dont know about maybe... whats the BIG picture on this region.. Lemuria gonna rise again!?!?!? lol.

NAUTICAL MILE = 1.852 Kilometers = 1.15 MILES

Don't know if this is related to all the 2012 hype... but the earth is entering regions of space not occupied for a long time.. Crossing the galactic plane surely exerts some sort of forces on the earth, although very weak..still.. The SUN has been acting up a lot in recent years.. Has the earth absorbed some "extra energy" of some sort that it could not dissipate off normally, and this extra energy is getting expelled by these larger earth events? (Wild thought I know)

Interesting times indeed eh? At least it isn't Tambora, or Yellowstone getting "active".. (dangerously active). Krakatoa has been going off for some time, and has created Anak Krakatoa..a good sized new island..Better that it is going off and releasing energy instead of it building up to a catastrophic release.

If this mess washes ashore... dang.. pumice up the wazoo everywhere!

I imagine many species of fish are finding these rafts of pumice a good place to grow from itty bitty fish to juvenile stages.. it creates a large environment not there before for sea critters.

Pravdaseeker

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Ok I am no geologist. but these volcanic "pebbles" are floating

aren't they suppose to sink?

just a thought.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

The short answer is, no. Volcanic debris is actually less dense than water (especially newly created debris) so it is really not uncommon to find volcanic rock floating on oceans, rivers, and streams.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teye22

Ok I am no geologist. but these volcanic "pebbles" are floating

aren't they suppose to sink?

just a thought.

I think it was mentioned somewhere in the OP that the mass is made up of 'pumice' stone (formed by frothy magma that cools really quickly trapping in the air-bubbles)

Woody

edit on 10-8-2012 by woodwytch because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by hyperion.martin
reply to post by Teye22

The short answer is, no. Volcanic debris is actually less dense than water (especially newly created debris) so it is really not uncommon to find volcanic rock floating on oceans, rivers, and streams.

Oh ok then. thanks for the answer i was unaware of that (obviously). See....we learn something new everyday!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Already being discussed here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

new topics

top topics

join