It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It was theory, now reality: Israel pondering on attack Iran this fall

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Its on Yediot Aharonot. They are planing to attack Iran nuclear facilities before the US elections.
I know many of you will say "Nah, forget it dude...", well, it had been pondered many times before like Washington Times say and Al-jazeera. Couple months ago, this kind of talk was like saying "I'm an alien from mars", but right now, it looks like its hot topic everywhere

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Israel doesn't have the balls to attack Iran. Because the only way Israel would be able to stand a chance against Iran is if they used nukes. Why do you think Israel is always begging America to attack Iran for them? Israel just needs to shut it's mouth until they are actually able to back it up.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Israel doesn't have the balls to attack Iran. Because the only way Israel would be able to stand a chance against Iran is if they used nukes. Why do you think Israel is always begging America to attack Iran for them? Israel just needs to shut it's mouth until they are actually able to back it up.

It doesn't, huh? How can you tell? I posted sources of information saying they ARE planing to do this...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by thecrippler

It doesn't, huh? How can you tell? I posted sources of information saying they ARE planing to do this...

They have been planning for years but never do it. They aren't stupid if you compare the two militaries you would see why Israel won't attack without America wiping out Iran's defenses first. The only reason why Israels pitiful little military ranks so high is because they have nukes.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by thecrippler

It is possible that Israel attacks Iran, they feel threatened with the possibility of an increasing nuclear power on Iran.
But, if they attack first, then China, North Korea and possibly Russia would back up Iran, escalating into a world war.

Unless Israel has plans to fight such a war, then i don't think it will attack Iran, even if they say so, it could be a bluff to make Iran attack first so that iran loses its comunists friends.

If there's a war between those countries, then we all will be in danger.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

I disagree.

I think, tactically, the problem is that any potential war in the Middle East right now is going to involve multiple factions coming from entirely different directions, and that complicates things.

Israel can't expect to strike Iran without retaliation from Syria and Hezbollah, and probable escalation from Hamas in an opportunistic sense.

For this reason, Israel needs the support of the US.
I think a more likely plan of action would be that Israel takes Syria/Hezbollah, while the US strikes Iran... each trying to do as much damage as possible, as quickly as possible.

I think the potential is there for Israel to use nuclear weapons on Damascus - for two reasons:

1) Syria has chemical and biological weapons stockpiled. A nuclear strike would vaporize these instantaneously, allowing for neat and immediate disposal (neat in the sense that the bioweapons would be dealt with - obviously the fallout, literally and politically, would be immense).

2) Isaiah 17 prophecies the utter destruction of Damascus.

Then, when it comes to Iran... I think that there's a possibility of an EMP attack. Consider again a nuclear weapon detonated, say, 200km above Iran. Instantly, the entire power grid would collapse... and Iran would find itself back in the 19th Century.

I'm not suggesting these things will happen, nor am I suggesting that they are on the horizon. This may play out entirely differently. But at some point, Damascus will be left in ruins. Iran, however... has a part to play in the future, so I don't see an EMP attack as being particularly likely, even if it would probably save more lives in the long term.

Each of these scenarios also offers Israel the ability to avoid a long, protracted war like the US has embroiled itself in, in Afghanistan and Iraq, for example... and that is the only way that Israel can afford to play this out.
edit on 10-8-2012 by Awen24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
For all of their warmongering Israel are like a toothless rabid dog, foaming at the mouth and screaming for blood, but they wont do anything until the US commits to their plan.

There has been loads of discussions on here about whether or not the USA could bring Iran down military wise, how long the battle would be, how ferocious, whether or not China or Russia would join in, very heated and bitter arguments. However Israel is not the US and they most certainly cant win alone against Iran, Iran's air defence systems are the latest from Russia and China, plus they have developed their own equipment.

That is why Israel are pushing and pushing the US to get involved, so the technical superiority of the US can take out the Iranian air defence systems, they also are fully aware that most of the ME is terrified of the US, but they are not afraid of Israel, and Israel acting alone would stir up a whole heap of trouble without the US to slap everyone back into place.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

If Israel does, then it does.

If Israel doesn't, then it doesn't.

What should interest Americans is if Obama is going to join the fight.

I don't think there are any world leaders logged on at ATS, so what we say, speculate, or worry about is moot.

(sorry, pain meds haven't kicked in yet, feeling rather cross)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrinceDreamer
Israel is not the US and they most certainly cant win alone against Iran, Iran's air defence systems are the latest from Russia and China, plus they have developed their own equipment.

This is based on the assumption that Israel is looking to fight a conventional war.
This is hardly a likely scenario. The Israeli military are one of the most advanced in the world, and they certainly know what they're doing (most of the time - whether you like them or not is irrelevant).

For a point of comparison, think about the US and the Afghanistan war. The military capabilities of the Taliban were virtually irrelevant. The tar pit in Afghanistan wasn't because the two sides fought each other in military equivalence, but because the Taliban fought a guerrilla war against a vastly superior opponent. Hit and run, roadside bombings, IEDs, and so on. This allowed the inferior opponent (the Taliban) to fight on their own terms, and not on the terms of the US.

Similarly, Israel will not enter into open war against Iran, Syria, or anyone else. Any military action taken will be swift, brutal and comprehensive. It must be.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Thing is.

This is said to happen like every year.

For the last 10 years.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist
Thing is.

This is said to happen like every year.

For the last 10 years.

That's true, the story is the same, what changed was the scenario, never in history we had such a tension among all nations on the face of the earth.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

You missed the point i was making, or perhaps I was not clear in what I said.

I would not expect Israel to engage in a conventional war with Iran, they would lose, that is just a simple fact, no matter how highly you rate the IAF, Israel is not capable of projection force over such a distance across international borders, it has no carrier group or an air force large enough to to support an invasion.

My point was of Israel using jets to bomb Iran's facilities, Iran would be more than capable of shooting down the vast majority if not all of them unless Iran's air defence is neutralised beforehand, and for that they need the US
edit on 10-8-2012 by PrinceDreamer because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-8-2012 by PrinceDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It may be a bit premature to think Isreal is alone. Saudi Arabia does not like or need Iran to become a regional Nuclear power, neither does Turkey.

EMP followed by air strike followed by the Iranian opposition taking control followed by the West rebuilding Iran and making a new regime in their favor. China isn't going to give a crap (unless it sprials out of control) as long as they get the Iranian oil. Russia will make tons of money off of their own oil once the supply from Iran is interupted. They'll both bark and howl but in the end they'll make more money than the west will.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Sadly after reading about this situation countless times with shaking head, it will end like all other things in history have ended. War, Death, then life goes on and round and round we go.

They might as well blow each other's face off and be done with it. Obviously it's as clear as water that governments are incapable to sit down at a table face to face and settle their differences like a normal human being, and the ones that say they will, shun at that option once in office.

It's going to happen sooner rather than later, and what ties will be broken? Who knows, but get it over with so those who actually are around after, and actually has some sense, can really begin to show people what life really is, cause this ain't it.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

If you wish, you can add this source to your OP:

Israel's prime minister and defense minister would like to attack Iran's nuclear sites before the U.S. election in November but lack crucial support within their cabinet and military, an Israeli newspaper said on Friday.

Source: Reuters

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Israel does have the balls to attack Iran.

Military speaking, Iran is no bigger threat than what countries like Egypt were in the past. However, the military branches in Israel consider Iran a serious threat, or a sensitive issue that should be handled carefully.

The Israeli PM and other ministers do want to attack Iran, and putting forward that objective. The only reason why they haven't done so, is due to the lack of unilateral support for such action.

But even that lack of support is not due to lack of courage or lack of will. It's simply because other people in Israel's government think that they are unable to effectively stop Iran unless they have also the support of western military forces.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Israel dont need balls to attack Iran, Israel has no other choice, they are in a situation where they will have to attack. Israel is not begging America anymore.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Can someone post the precise time and the day so that I can be ready with lots of popcorn and soda?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

13 days 14 hours 15 minutes 16 seconds.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I thought it was LAST Fall. I mean LAST winter. I meant this past May. Nope it was July-thats right, it was July!

WHATEVER.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join