It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sol 3's images just in. All in glorious colour!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher
reply to post by Just Chris

I knew, I just couldn't be bothered answering an obvious troll post.

Like hell you did!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
OH LOOK!!! Dirt and a few pebbles.............and more dirt and pebbles; and more dirt a there we go a few more pebbles..... Oh nice wheel!!! Oh look tread marks from the nice wheel; more dirt and pebbles; OH WHAT MIGHT BE A MOUNTAIN; then more dirt; dirt and few more pebbles.... YAWN!!! $BILLION DOLLARS to see rocks; pebbles; shaddows; and tread marks................oh and the outline of a what might be a hill.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mpwaite

The only thing making me yawn is your post. You clearly don't comprehend the purpose of the mission. There is more to it than taking pics of dirt and rocks. What perplexes me is, did you expect more than this?? What exactly are you hoping to see on Mars that doesn't involve dirt and rocks?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Any news on Sol 4 .... ? Haven't heard anything new.

I believe they were updating the rover's software over the weekend. Didn't see a press briefing today.

Did I miss anything new?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Holosapien

It's going to take awhile to get that stuff booted up, and functioning correctly. Sol 4 is way gone, but I'm sure they'll notify the public when things are operating again.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

reply to post by Holosapien

It's going to take awhile to get that stuff booted up, and functioning correctly. Sol 4 is way gone, but I'm sure they'll notify the public when things are operating again.

Hmmm ... Yeah you are right. I can see that happening. That could be the reason why we haven't seen any new images since the last batch of Sol's 3 thumbnails.

Thanks for the reply.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by AmatuerSkyWatcher

Err... they went millions of miles to land their Buck Rogers rover..in Barstow? lol....

Seriously, was this where they meant to land? I understand safety in not wanting to hit anything..but it looks so barren? Won't they have some real travel distance to get to something more interesting than the field of endless loose stones?

I'm sure they planned all this out...but that is why I ask, is this actually the target landing zone? Thanks anyone who can help.

If they did not over think everything they would realize they keep landing in craters...Yah know the place where everything is pulverized. Maybe if they were to land on the least destroyed areas of mars they might find something long dead that has not been pulverized by asteroids.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

You should tell NASA. I don't know why I never thought of it like that? Your logic shames me so.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven

Err... they went millions of miles to land their Buck Rogers rover..in Barstow? lol....

Seriously, was this where they meant to land? I understand safety in not wanting to hit anything..but it looks so barren? Won't they have some real travel distance to get to something more interesting than the field of endless loose stones?

I'm sure they planned all this out...but that is why I ask, is this actually the target landing zone? Thanks anyone who can help.

If they did not over think everything they would realize they keep landing in craters...Yah know the place where everything is pulverized. Maybe if they were to land on the least destroyed areas of mars they might find something long dead that has not been pulverized by asteroids.

Gale Crater may have once been very wet -- perhaps even a lake. There are places in the crater (up Mount Sharp a bit) where they think there are exposed areas where this possible lake laid down sediment. There are cemented fractures inside the crater and up mount sharp that may have been cemented by sediment from water. There are clays in the crater -- and clays are known only to form in standing water. There are alluvial fans of sediment that look as if they were deposited by flowing water. The sides of Mt. Sharp have exposed rock strata that may date back to a time mars was a very wet place...

...should I go on as to why Gale Crater seems like an excellent place to explore?

edit on 8/13/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

That all depends on when the crater was created

Here is a list of crater sites on earth many now chock full of life !

en.wikipedia.org...

So if Marvin the Martian sent a probe to any of those would he be wrong

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Sometimes i am just baffled WHY people form an opinion without never even doing some research on their own....knowledge is only a fricking mouse-click away but people prefer to be ignorant.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

reply to post by ArMaP

These are some of the examples taken from the mast cam:

Obviously the last one I marked with a question mark isn't obsidian as I know it, but thought I'd include it for interests sake. Looks like some metamorphism or "marbling" has occurred!

I noticed some very porous rock too. Pumice? If it is pumice, and the examples that I gave are Obsidian, then it's highly likely that this was a Volcanic area.

If there is pumice, it means there was effusive (obsidian) and explosive (pumice) eruptions. If there was an explosive eruption, it's highly likely it was caused by water meeting the hot gases and lava from the volcano. Obsidian is formed by the rapid cooling of lava. Another indicator water was present in this area?

Anybody know where the closest known Volcano is to Gale crater?
edit on 13-8-2012 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

Well, this is the first test target for the Tachyon Laser Cannon Spectro Thingy:
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

We'll have some fun it seems!

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join