It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why not use terminally ill patients as Astronauts ??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
So once again in the bar drinking with friends, we started talking about Mars and the planets, after hearing about Curiousity's safe landing. And that got me thinking using drunk logic...

Why not use Volunteer, Terminally ill patients as Astronauts to Mars and maybe the moons of Jupiter/Saturn.
You'd save a fortune as you'd not have to bring them back. Just pack the ship full of the meds they need and fire them off into space.

I know if I was dying of say cancer and had a year left to go, I'd be more than happy to volunteer to be the first man on Mars and die there.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, practical, ethical, and any other big words ending in 'ical'.

Peace

Rock Ape

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
You can't because they would die halfway there.

Just send robots.
edit on 10-8-2012 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Or you could send the UK's Conservative Government, there half dead already, and noone wants them back

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Honey, this is possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on here, and trust me there have been some belters. That conversation should have stayed in the bar with your friends, I can kinda see where you're coming from, in a ten year old boy sort of way, but honestly....do you have any clue at all what people go though when they're terminally ill? I can't quite believe I've given up 30 seconds of my life to reply to this actually.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
There is a reason why all astronauts have to be in tip top condition and at peak physically.

What you're suggesting would most likely kill the person very soon into the mission, due to strain on the already under strain human body.

As far as I know, nobody knows if space would have an effect on such a diagnosis such as cancer?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Rock Ape

Terminally Ill patients would probably pass out during the astronaut training...
You can't just send someone to orbit... You have to prepare his body, and he has to maintain a certain physical condition by doing exercises once he's up there... Otherwise his muscles would fragilise, then he would "break"...
Astronaut training and maintaining in physical shape is not something most terminally ill patiens could handle...

I'm not terminally ill, and I don't think I could do it... So I can hardly imagine the situation you described to be realistic...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Because you need to be fit to be an astronaut.. have you seen some of the tests they are put through? What if they all die early from 'space stress' mid flight? Space missions ain't cheap.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by AmatuerSkyWatcher

My thoughts exactly. As far as I know the background radiation in space isn't particularly friendly and subjecting someone who already has cancer for example that would surely contribute to an even quicker death.

Like you said. There is a reason they have to be in amazing condition, more so than jet pilots I'd think.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
It's unethical.

You might think this is how you want to die, but when it came time to really die that way there could be a drastic change of heart.

Most people prefer to pass away with loved ones close by, and they in turn would want to be near the one who is passing. You just want to be as close to your home as possible not be fired into space, as you so eloquently put it. Being terminally ill is too much to deal with physically and emotionally to begin with, why add to to the pain?

When a cancer patient is nearing the end they require more monitoring and usually large doses of morphine with an IV drip or injection. The dosage is continuously being altered according to the patients comfort level. All kinds of complications can arise. They also still need to eat and may be unable to feed themselves.
They need and require proper medical care so they can be as comfortable as possible. You just can't fire them off to go die someplace else. Who wants to die with the last thoughts being they are just disposable waste? That's just what this sounds like to me.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

This is ONE bizarre thread, seriously....

The goal will not be sending up people up for a short time or for them to die, instead one goal will be to to establish a self-sustaining outpost where people eg. can grow plants, their own foods, creating oxygen even to be able to live in an otherwise dangerous environment.

What sort of mission is that where you send people up there basically expecting them to die "anyway", so we don't need to care about safety measures etc. to "save money" or similar.

Seriously, this is BEYOND ##### up. If we are not able to send people up there for them to survive, then there is also no reason to send them up in the first place.

However, your (rather abstruse) idea would be good for some interesting but controversial movie/book (i'll give you that)....one turn in the story could be that the people on Mars discover a cure...but then face the reality that no one thought about they would want to come back. Any SciFi authors etc. would have a blast with that idea, it's great!
edit on 10-8-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
human dignity? the inability to make it to their goal?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

I think someone has been enjoying one of Bill's finest skits. If not then it's synchronicity.

Peace (miss u bill)

* Ned

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
This is intriguing.

The reality is, if an astronaut heads to mars, their odds of returning would be pretty low. (radiation exposure, logistic of returning, other perils). So if it is a one way trip do you select people who want an adventure to go out on. Sort of like the Bucket List flick hey.

Ok I'll play along... To select a crew, the criteria would need to be VERY specific. People selected would need first to be able to pass astronaut training. This is not negotiable. Then you would look at the type of illness.

So the question becomes what type of terminal illness would allow a person to fly to mars? Everyone has already mentioned cancer, and I agree, kemotherapy in space without nurses and assistant would be tantamount to torture. That said, what other terminal illnesses are out there? Potentially something that space would actually have a positive effect on. (for instance the billionaire with cancer in the film Contact).
edit on 10-8-2012 by superbuker because: typo

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Your argument would make a lot more sense if you used people on death row instead of the terminally ill.

It would still be retarded, but somewhat less so.

These ideas always sound better when you're drinking, don't they.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
We should use people with down's syndrome to test new cosmetics and medicines, because they won't know what the hell is going on. Also, we should use dwarves to test catapults.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Explanation: AMAZING THREAD! S&F!

I see no ethical reasons against using volunteers = WAY COOL!

I FULLY ENDORSE THIS IDEA REGARDLESS OF PRACTICALITY!

Here is why ... it goes to the spirit of who and WHAT we are!

Anybody who isn't curious needs to get and stay the hell off of ATS.
@ Naysayers

As for practical considerations ... how about this ...

TPTB can't Tax you, if you're beyond their reach, out in space! Viable ways to get off this planet. (by OmegaLogos posted on 5-1-2011 @ 08:10 AM) [ATS]

Personal Disclosure: Hands up anybody who isn't mortal and therefore isn't terminal!

Anybody with hands up needs to IMMEDIATELY report to abovetopsecret.com for a full deeply probing medical assesment conducted by abducties who have already been through such an alien process!

edit on 10-8-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix emoticon bbcode.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I just came up with an awesome idea for a movie.

A bunch of guys on death row get sent to Mars, however there is only a single man escape ship. Fifty men get sent, one must return, by whatever means necessary.

It's a bit like blade runner with a twist.

Except....here is the twist. When they get there, there is something waiting for them, something not of this world DUM DUM DUM.

-spoiler-It's aliens.-spoiler-
edit on 10-8-2012 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by humphreysjim

Explanation: Uhmmm?

EDITED to add .. sorry my bad :shk:

We should use people with down's syndrome to test new cosmetics and medicines, because they won't know what the hell is going on. Also, we should use dwarves to test catapults.

VS ...

Why not use Volunteer, Terminally ill patients as Astronauts to Mars and maybe the moons of Jupiter/Saturn.

What don't you understand about the term volunteer?

Personal Disclosure: Maybe ask those questions in a new set of threads focusing on those specific issues ... but I think it boils down to getting CONSENT!
edit on 10-8-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to add completey misplaced aka forgotten quote and text. soz me a

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by humphreysjim

That and your previous reply did make me chuckle. Star for you. Not many people make ASW laugh!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

What don't you understand about the term volunteer?

I'm sure we could get people with mental disabilities to volunteer, we just have to offer them candy at the end of it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join