It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Equal does not mean exactly the same

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Being equal does not mean being exactly the same.

Men and women are not the same. This is a fact. In general, we have different roles. Equality is not ignoring basic facts of biology and human social roles that transcend time, space, and culture; it is the ability for those that don't fit the general stereotypical roles to have the freedom to be themselves without censure.

People have different intelligence levels and personalities. I am an egghead; I have no business trying to become a mechanic. Similarly, my twin sister has no business trying to become an engineer. The world needs mechanics and plumbers every bit as much as it needs lawyers and bankers; recognition of this concept represents real equality.

Being equal means of equal value, not necessarily exactly the same.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
that's a fair statement, i can have one pound of gold and one pound of lead.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I agree. I can have a pound of fries with a pound of diet coke, OP. Make it quick.

Swiftly Tarquin, swiftly!
edit on 9-8-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
Being equal does not mean being exactly the same.

Men and women are not the same. This is a fact. In general, we have different roles. Equality is not ignoring basic facts of biology and human social roles that transcend time, space, and culture; it is the ability for those that don't fit the general stereotypical roles to have the freedom to be themselves without censure.

People have different intelligence levels and personalities. I am an egghead; I have no business trying to become a mechanic. Similarly, my twin sister has no business trying to become an engineer. The world needs mechanics and plumbers every bit as much as it needs lawyers and bankers; recognition of this concept represents real equality.

Being equal means of equal value, not necessarily exactly the same.

I'd have to say equality is about the pursuit, and from birth we are equal in our relationship with our own pursuits of happiness and freedom.

We're in bondage, stuck behind some pattern of cognitive bias' or idolatry of many fashions and always unable to obtain the truth and act in accordance with it. Deception as a tactic, even against ourselves and even against the person we refer to as 'I'.

We are all equal in our relationship to the world, self, and 'God' or the universe alike. It's a struggle to survive and be happy, to protect what you have earned or created... and to express your opinions as you shape the world around you.

Equality... One mans struggle with all of humanities fight, while all of humanity fights the struggles of men. Toss in some tactical deception, some human emotions, and desires... We're all involved... directly or indirectly, and we are all equally responsible for the current state of humanity.

Additional information:

I figured I'd look up what the internet had to say about 'Equality'...

The opening of the United States Declaration of Independence, written by Thomas Jefferson in 1776, states as follows:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

en.wikipedia.org...

We all remember that one...

Where did that come originate from:

Hobbesian origin

Thomas Hobbes also proposed an early variant of equality among men in his treatise Leviathan:

Nature hath made men so equal in the faculties of body and mind as that, though there be found one man sometimes manifestly stronger in body or of quicker mind than another, yet when all is reckoned together the difference between man and man is not so considerable as that one man can thereupon claim to himself any benefit to which another may not pretend as well as he. For as to the strength of body, the weakest has strength enough to kill the strongest, either by secret machination or by confederacy with others that are in the same danger with himself. And as to the faculties of the mind, setting aside the arts grounded upon words, and especially that skill of proceeding upon general and infallible rules, called science, which very few have and but in few things, as being not a native faculty born with us, nor attained, as prudence, while we look after somewhat else, I find yet a greater equality amongst men than that of strength. For prudence is but experience, which equal time equally bestows on all men in those things they equally apply themselves unto.

~Leviathan Hobbes

More Hobbes....
Thomas Hobbes, The English Works, vol. III (Leviathan) [1651]
oll.libertyfund.org...
Makes for a fun read, while googling a word every 2 minutes to understand what the hell he's saying lol.

Which, I'd say is a fancy way of reiterating what I said lol.

edit on 9-8-2012 by FractalChaos13242017 because: additional comment

top topics

join