It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Ought To Make Your Skin Crawl

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by PrimalWisdom

I understand the sentiment of preservation, but unless you live in one of those areas, you may not understand where the fear comes from. The snakes in the southern states are so heavy populated, it is not uncommon to see them every time you step into the woods. People instinctually kill the poisonous ones because they worry about their children, pets or themselves being bitten. For kids and pets it is a serious issue. Now I agree it is not cool to just kill every single snake one encounters, especially king snakes which help check the poisonous snake population. But growing up in snake infested areas caters to an attitude of danger and prevention. So unless you or someone you know(neighbors/friends) have been bitten, it may be hard to understand the animosity. Sure some go overboard with it, and because they are southerners they may be considered redneck, but often there is more behind the story than just redneck-ness.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
We get moccasins and copperheads regularly, rattlesnakes and coral snakes rarely- but never any rattlers that big! If it's a poisonous snake and I see it on my property it is a dead snake! I leave non-poisonous snakes alone, but as far as poisonous one's go I track them down and kill them immediately.

I was bitten by a copperhead when I was a teenager and it was no picnic! I won't take a chance on my grandbaby or one of my nieces or nephews getting bit by something that could kill them. It's a non-negotiable thing!

Why the hell do you "track them down and kill them"? Seems a little OTT if you ask me, it's like going into an ex special forces persons house and killing them because they have the ability to kill someone with ease?

People like you make me sick - It's a non-negotiable thing!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist

I understand the sentiment of preservation, but unless you live in one of those areas, you may not understand where the fear comes from. The snakes in the southern states are so heavy populated, it is not uncommon to see them every time you step into the woods. People instinctually kill the poisonous ones because they worry about their children, pets or themselves being bitten. For kids and pets it is a serious issue. Now I agree it is not cool to just kill every single snake one encounters, especially king snakes which help check the poisonous snake population. But growing up in snake infested areas caters to an attitude of danger and prevention. So unless you or someone you know(neighbors/friends) have been bitten, it may be hard to understand the animosity. Sure some go overboard with it, and because they are southerners they may be considered redneck, but often there is more behind the story than just redneck-ness.

Thanks for the decent reply - I was waiting for someone to lash out at me.
I understand living in fear of snakes - I live in South Africa and encounter snakes nearly daily, some venomous, some not. I just leave them alone, and they don't bother me. I have been bitten by a semi-poisonous snake (red-lipped herald) and it sucked, but I don't live in constant fear of snakes. I have also been bitten by a black widow spider and ended up in hospital - but if I find one in my house or garden I leave it be.\

I have 2 very small dogs, and they have not been bit yet, I do worry, but I don't go round killing the venomous ones just because they might hurt one of my dogs. It just seems wrong to kill something because of a natural defense/offense system they are born with.

Peace
PW

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
So why did the guy kill it? I don't get it?

What's supposed to make my skin crawl?

The fact that some moron killed a beautiful snake for fun/sport?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'm glad this got responses which presented various opinions. My intention was only to share a photo of what is to me, the largest Rattlesnake I've ever seen. I'm sure larger ones are out there. These snakes are truly both beautiful and dangerous. I don't know the circumstances of this particular snakes death, so I have to reserve judgement on that, but were it in my yard I would seriously feel threatened.

I also don't believe that poisonous snakes are only killed in the Southern United States, so yes, I do feel that this is a stereotype. You're welcome to your own opinions; that's mine. Thanks for all the replies...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

South Africa eh? Wow, yea I'd imagine you are familiar with the seriousness of it all. Thinking more on the subject, I realized there are a lot of folks that are conditioned to kill the poisonous ones any/every time they see them, and while I personally do not agree with that, I think kids growing up pick up this attitude from their elders/community and maybe they develop an overzealous slaying attitude. I used to kill them when I found them on my property, but now that I am older and have a greater respect and admiration for wildlife, I would relocate one instead of killing it. Even the poisonous snakes are an important part of the ecology, contributing to rodent populations. But often they over populate some seasons, and it is not uncommon to find half a dozen poisonous snakes in a single yard(one's property not actual measurement) on any given evening. But many never get over the fear. So yea, there is a degree of over the top attitudes, and it makes me wonder about your area. I am curious if in Africa there are not villages where if a black mamba is seen, it is exterminated? Or is there a different attitude there?

I would wager that even compared to Africa, there are more poisonous snakes per square mile in the southern states than compared to Africa. I do not know that for sure but I do know how many snakes there are down south, and it is a lot! The environment is so conducive to heavy populations because not only is it warm throughout the year, but there is a lot of water down there, everywhere. Anyway, I do see your point and I hope you see the other side of the coin, and realize not all folks down there set out to slay the snakes, but at the same time there are plenty that carry this attitude out of fear and ignorance, but with the conditioning and innate instinctual fear of snakes in general, there will always be some that go out of their way to kill any snake, and yea sometimes ego is at play and in those cases I agree, it is not cool to kill just becasue...

Peace,
spec

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Sad he had to kill it. No offense but...why do rednecks have to kill every animal they come across?

Never mind the rednecks specifically. Why do most people kill every animal they come across? They were probably there first (or have nowhere else to go) and people should just leave them alone - this applies to the extra-large venomous snakes too. Unless you are going to eat it.

If I'd killed a magnificent creature like that, I would be ashamed of myself -- I wouldn't paste pictures of it all over the net.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Sad he had to kill it. No offense but...why do rednecks have to kill every animal they come across?

Mostly they eat what they kill all kinds of wierd stuff. I had rattle snake once and it does taste like chicken!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by visualmiscreant
reply to post by grubblesnert

We used to go to Loxohatchee down in South Florida a lot during the 60's and 70's. Two of my uncle's had airboats, and we used to spend the weekends fishing and camping. Wonderful memories...

I was talking to a neighbor recently who also owns an airboat, and he said that things have changed in that area and you don't have the access we used to. He said it had something to do with the water management, perhaps for all the new housing.

We used to go watch the Indians wrestle alligators in the everglades too. I wonder if they still do that? I've only been back down there once since 1978, and that was after Hurricane Andrew. I was in the Guard so we didn't get to travel much.

I lived in Loxahatchee back in the early 70's, Seen quite a few big rattlesnakes back then.....

My first job was at the Ousley Sod farm, Then I worked at Lion Country Safari for a few years.....
I remember when you could get an acre of land for $1500.00!

The sod farm, and the old Flying Cow Ranch, were turned into an upscale housing development called Wellington,
And the wilderness area leading to LCS was turned into another upscale housing development call "Deer Run".

Loxahatchee was a nice place to live back then, but you couldn't pay me to live there now...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by IrVulture

In the early 70's a real estate agent took our family to Lion Country Safari. We ended up buying some investment property which hadn't been developed yet. In 1979 when my parents divorced, they sold the property as a part of the divorce agreement. The area still hadn't been developed; no roads, no sewerage etc. Some people will tell you anything to make a buck. I don't honestly know if they made anything off the sale, but I doubt it.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrimalWisdom

Originally posted by littled16
We get moccasins and copperheads regularly, rattlesnakes and coral snakes rarely- but never any rattlers that big! If it's a poisonous snake and I see it on my property it is a dead snake! I leave non-poisonous snakes alone, but as far as poisonous one's go I track them down and kill them immediately.

I was bitten by a copperhead when I was a teenager and it was no picnic! I won't take a chance on my grandbaby or one of my nieces or nephews getting bit by something that could kill them. It's a non-negotiable thing!

Why the hell do you "track them down and kill them"? Seems a little OTT if you ask me, it's like going into an ex special forces persons house and killing them because they have the ability to kill someone with ease?

People like you make me sick - It's a non-negotiable thing!

Until you've been bitten by a poisonous snake and laid up in the hospital you have no business judging me. I will do what I gotta do to protect the little ones that play in my yard.

I was a teen almost grown when I got bit. If my two year old grandchild or elementary school age niece or nephew got bit there's a good chance they could die, If my killing of poisonous snakes on my own property makes you sick I don't care. I'd rather YOU be "sick" than one of them be dead!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join