It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Ought To Make Your Skin Crawl

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by visualmiscreant
reply to post by TinkerHaus

That's a stereotype. Actually, 99% of the people in my area only kill what they eventually eat. I grew up in Miami, and don't really consider myself a redneck, but I live in that kind of area now. They kill poisonous snakes to protect their livestock and families. Most people who grow up in this area have little to do (entertainment-wise; It's 20 miles to the nearest town from my house; more for others). They pass their time by hunting and fishing, and there is an abundance of fish and game still. I generally hit two deers every year on the road here, and I've also hit two hogs...

I grew up on a farm. I spent my days as a kid wandering the deserts and forests. I live around a lot of rednecks. Two counties south of me NO ONE is allowed to adopt dogs from the Humane Society because they are notorious for shooting anything that walks and isn't human.

Stereotype, sure.. But we're looking at evidence of it's accuracy and I've got a lifetime of experience that proves (at least to me) that it's a fairly accurate stereotype.

Not sure why someone who has respect for a grandaddy snake like that is a "Yankee." (lol) but I don't kill for sport. I think those who do are truly "rednecks." So no, I'm not a "Yankee," my parents just brought me up with some common sense, decency, and respect for nature.

Once in early spring I found a diamond back rattler perched in the early spring sunlight, cold and lazy. I caught it, brought it home, showed it off, released it where I found it a day or so later. It was nowhere near this size.. But at no point did I want to kill it. I've caught hundreds of snakes as a kid and never once did it go through my head that I should "KEEEEL IIIITTTT VERNON!"

If you're going to eat it, or make good use of it, by all means. If you want to kill something just to look cool on FB, you're a pathetic redneck.

So, if you're from the country, or the bayou, or the desert, don't take offense. There is a difference between country folks and rednecks.. Country folk respect the outdoors, rednecks just wreck it. This guy in the OP is a redneck.

edit on 9-8-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

reply to post by g146541

These days you never know, but I'm assuming it's legit. I lost one of my Rottweilers to a Rattler 3 years ago; it was very sad.

I am sorry and that sucks.
See, I'd shoot it or run like a little girl.
Doggies, well they'll snap into protecter mode.
If the dogs in your avatar are the one's your concerned with you may be surprised at how good they work together on their quarry. Those look like a couple of "hog dogs" ( pitbull terriers). That type of dog is bred to fight wild hogs and work as a team, 2-3 dogs on different ends of the hog or other quarry.
But, I still understand your concern rattlerwise. Do you have them well enough trained to holdback on an attack if you command them? If not that will be your best assurance against an accidental tangle with a venomous critter.
And as far as the rattler's behavior, they are defensive in nature not aggresive like a moccasin. So as long as you and your dogs dont scare it and move away slowly if it coils and rattles your OK.
Still a shotgun is always a comfort in a pinch! (sorry if I have offended tinkerhaus)

Gotta keep your babys safe

edit on 9-8-2012 by grubblesnert because: spellin,

edit on 9-8-2012 by grubblesnert because: spellin'x2

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Now if you would have put some effort into your response the first time you would have saved yourself a lot of misundrstanding.
One liners beget one liners. Hence my "obvious yankee" retort, i see now you are just a simple snakehandling farmboy

does the mom and dad you referenced know you go around playing with rattlers?

jk

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by grubblesnert

Now if you would have put some effort into your response the first time you would have saved yourself a lot of misundrstanding.
One liners beget one liners. Hence my "obvious yankee" retort, i see now you are just a simple snakehandling farmboy

does the mom and dad you referenced know you go around playing with rattlers?

jk

First thing I did was bring it home to mom, who was a veterinary technician, to confirm what I already mostly knew (that it was indeed a diamond back rattler)

Yeah, I caught every slithering, slimy, crawling or hopping thing I could. I also catch and release 90% of the time. =]

Funny how I went from "yankee" to "simple."

And you critique me for applying a stereotype.

edit on 9-8-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Obviously I'm only defending my neighbors, who with few exceptions, are really decent people. They may think different of me because I don't share their interests; but that's partly because I didn't grow up here. The fact that my hair reaches half way down my rib-cage probably doesn't help either...

People are different to some extent everywhere, and to me also there is no defense for senseless destruction; whether it's plants or animals. The one thing that really bothers me is the 4-wheelers. They started going in behind my place and destroyed the beaver dams so they could cross the creeks. Not only did it ruin the fishing there, but it ran the beavers off. Beaver colonies take years to establish, and chances are we will never see them there again in my lifetime.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

I lost one of my Rottweilers to a Rattler 3 years ago; it was very sad.

That's horrible and I am sorry to hear it. Was it sudden, or were you able to get anti-venom? I am concerned for my new doggie too.
I grew up in Louisiana and saw so many cotton mouths and copperheads, along with kings, corn, milk, and rat snakes it would make one's head spin, but you know how it is, plus you now have the giant pythons and boas too

Here in Oregon I have only seen 4 or 5 snakes in 20 years, but I am moving back to the bayou and worry about my dog cuz she likes to scout and dig, sniffing all the underbrush along the way, and I just know she's gonna run into a snake. I was wondering if a dog can handle a snake bite and apparently it is a 50/50 chance, probably with various factors such as health, distance to help and time, but I am so worried I was wondering if there is any wisdom to giving a dog anti-venom just so their system will recognize an actual snakebite if it occurs. Is that a crazy thought? Heck I also wondered if one could purchase anti-venom and keep it on hand just in case?

Anyway this friggin snake in the op would certainly be destructive for a dog encounter, yikes! Look at the head on that sucker! Looks like it cross bred with a python

Peace,
spec

ETA: maybe in the pic the guy is doing what us fishermen like to do sometimes for a photo shot, and that is hold the fish extended out from the body and closer to the camera cuz it makes it look bigger!

edit on 9-8-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

My Rott was only about 8 months old when he got bit, and I didn't find him until I got home from work. By then he was already gone; his face swollen enormously. I'm assuming a Rattler because it was during a dry spell, and we usually only see Moccasins during wetter weather (like right now). I've had another dog that survived a bite on it's own, but she was gone for days. When she came back she was covered with dried mud, so I'm assuming she buried herself in it to extract the poison. It probably helps with the fever as well. Once again, I can only assume what kind of snake got her.

I truly don't know anything about anti-venom, so I can't help you there. I used to know a very strange individual, who used to catch Rattlers and milk them. He kept several live snakes in an old retired well. He claimed that he had been bitten several times, and just enjoyed the high without going for treatment. He used to take the venom he harvested, and put a few drops on one of those left-handed cigarettes to smoke it. I can't tell you if that saved him from the snake bites or not, and I surely don't recommend it. He's the one who had the large snake-skins tacked to his door. Like I said; very strange individual...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

Well I've heard it all now, smoking snake venom!

I know the anti-venom works if you can get your dog to the vet in time, but yea I want to keep some in the fridge just in case. Guess I am an overprotective papa.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Yeah, we love our dogs too.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
killing that thing is not sport...it was a battle and that man is akin to a mythological hero. they would write stories about him and put his bust on a vase in earlier times..

he used a gun? thats alright i still would have been running full sprint the opposite direction.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I know it's dangerous, but it's a shame to have killed it.

That's such a beautiful animal.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Well, that's a rattlesnake that you wouldn't accidentally step on and get bit, that's for sure. Almost happened to me in the mountains here, thank god the person I was with was more familiar/observant.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
We get moccasins and copperheads regularly, rattlesnakes and coral snakes rarely- but never any rattlers that big! If it's a poisonous snake and I see it on my property it is a dead snake! I leave non-poisonous snakes alone, but as far as poisonous one's go I track them down and kill them immediately.

I was bitten by a copperhead when I was a teenager and it was no picnic! I won't take a chance on my grandbaby or one of my nieces or nephews getting bit by something that could kill them. It's a non-negotiable thing!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
This makes my little catch the other day seem a bit inadequate

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Rattlesnake meat is quite expensive! and very good fried.

I learned that from my red neck neighbors! I think I am the only Spanish guy that eats them as every single Spanish person I know just makes a face of disgust when I talk about it.

I see one on my property and it automatically ends up in the fryer!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
On Aug 2nd, I made a comment on one of the threads about how much rain we've been getting, and wondering why the river reading was so low. It was 3.78 ft at that time and today is 10.22 ft. The flood stage is 12 ft, and the forecast says it will crest tomorrow sometime at just over 11 ft. I heard earlier in the week they were projecting 16 ft. I'm safe for another 12 ft or so, so no worries.

When the river gets high, the Moccasins have a tendency to get up closer to my place. I probably won't see any of them at least today, because we're experiencing heavy rainfall at the moment. My shed will probably be the temporary home to quite a few White Oak snakes, as they have a tendency to hide in there when it's raining. I've pulled several out of there that were 5.5 to 6 ft. long. They're pretty harmless and have a tendency to run. It's just part of living in the country and you get used to it.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by exdog5

We have those in Florida too. Once in a while I catch one for my grand-kids to hold. The two boys are in that stage where they pick up almost every reptile they see. The two girls aren't old enough yet, but I probably won't have to worry with them playing with snakes...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

reply to post by FissionSurplus

Large Rattlesnakes like this have been known to break a full-grown man's leg when it strikes. So not only are you snakebit, but you're out in the woods with a broken leg as well...

So you're saying the snake lends a hand with that whole "don't move around too quickly to slow the circulation of poison" directive.

Well thanks Mr. Snake.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

I hear you. My thinking in that situation would be that with the broken leg, the panic would be worse. Of course, that's speculation. Here's hoping I never have to find out...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Yeah I'm a bit peeved that he had to kill it, something that large and beautiful deserves to live. (not that any other living thing doesnt')

I must admit a lot of people seem to like killing everything they encounter in the wild, especially the hillybillyish/rednecks types found in rural areas across the world, you'd think people living that close to nature would have a bit more compassion and respect for their animal counterparts.

silly humans imo!

Peace
PW

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join