It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Ought To Make Your Skin Crawl

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
One of my friends on Facebook shared this photo with me, and it's definitely the largest Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake I've ever seen. I live in the woods, and I get to see a lot of these guys; most are around 3.5 to 6 ft. long. Occasionally somebody does stumble upon one of these monsters. I don't have any information on this guy (or gal), except that it was killed North of Evergreen Alabama.

I've seen several dried skins that stretched the entire height of a normal sized door (82.5 inches), but that was many years ago now. I think I'll leave these deadly monsters to the more adventurous types...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Holy Cheez Whiz!!! That is one big rattlesnake! A bite from that would kill a person.

I've seen western Diamondback rattlers, but never an eastern...I guess they grow 'em bigger out in the woods than in the desert.

Freaky pic, thanks for sharing!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I'm sorry can't help myself

I've only had encounters with garden snakes.
That is one hhuge snake ur friend is a brave one

Nvm just read it was killed...

Killer boots
What kind of can is that?
edit on 9-8-2012 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Large Rattlesnakes like this have been known to break a full-grown man's leg when it strikes. So not only are you snakebit, but you're out in the woods with a broken leg as well...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

Actually. I'm not friends with the guy who killed the snake. The picture has been shared over 1300 times, and one of my friends (and now myself) make two of them...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

Wow, I thought I'd seen a lot o snakes but I ain't ever seen a rattler that dang big!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
That's a big'un

I encountered a very large Copperhead a few years ago. Probably as thick as my wrist and 5-6 ft long.

He was not pleased when I ushered him out of the road with a golf club.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I live 3/4 mile off the Choctawhatchee River in N.W. Florida. I mostly see Moccasins, and have killed as many as six on one hike up one of the small creeks we sometimes visit. We go up there mostly because the area is so beautiful, but also to collect petrified sand-dollars out of the bank. The creek is spring-fed, and has a small waterfall in it. Some of the banks are probably 25 ft. high, and covered with iron deposits. On top of the deposits and down the entire bank, ferns grow the entire height. It is indeed a rare treasure. The first time I went there, the water had left a 4 ft. pedestal of packed sand about 10 inches in diameter. On top of the pedestal was an upside down turtle shell with ferns growing out of it. Once in a lifetime experience...

We also have Rattlers, Copperheads and Coral Snakes, but we see them less frequently. I generally see 2-3 Rattlers on my property each year; nothing like this though...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Children in my area play outside a lot. We generally kill all the poisonous snakes we find just in case. Sometimes we catch the non-poisonous ones and show the kids that some of them are quite friendly. One of my friends caught a Coach-Whip (I don't know if that's the real name, but that's what they're called in the South), and kept it in the cargo pocket of his BDU pants all day. We're told they're a mean snake and to be avoided, but I couldn't tell from this one.

We have multitudes of White Oak snakes which we protect because they keep the rodent population in check. They will strike and bite you, but it usually just makes your stomach upset a little. I leave the bigger one's alone...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

good chance it's from Florida or close by.
I have seen them that big before (and would steer a wide path around them) That one is full grown, meaning as far as I know it would'nt have gotten any bigger. I used to see them that big sunning themselves on the sand trails on cool days. my horse would usually spot it first and give out a snort and stomp. That was enough to get it moving off the trail and into the palmettos. It didnt want anything to do with a big horse and possibly armed human so they stayed hidden back in the brush.

iIgrew up with the skin of one a little(not much) smaller than that one hanging in the family utility room. My dad killed it in 1967 when I was only 7y/o. didnt save the head. I remember looking at it though and still remember the number my dad's Ruger MKI .22 did on it (like he was know to say "It's the same kind of pistol that mafia hitmen use"

Oh the memories of fish camp on the Saint Johns River and fishing at Sykes Creek

Growing up in the woods and waters of Florida

Now water moccasins.........

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Sad he had to kill it. No offense but...why do rednecks have to kill every animal they come across?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by grubblesnert

We used to go to Loxohatchee down in South Florida a lot during the 60's and 70's. Two of my uncle's had airboats, and we used to spend the weekends fishing and camping. Wonderful memories...

I was talking to a neighbor recently who also owns an airboat, and he said that things have changed in that area and you don't have the access we used to. He said it had something to do with the water management, perhaps for all the new housing.

We used to go watch the Indians wrestle alligators in the everglades too. I wonder if they still do that? I've only been back down there once since 1978, and that was after Hurricane Andrew. I was in the Guard so we didn't get to travel much.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by visualmiscreant
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Large Rattlesnakes like this have been known to break a full-grown man's leg when it strikes. So not only are you snakebit, but you're out in the woods with a broken leg as well...
I work for fire rescue. a few years back a man was bite in the leg by a rattler with a gap between the fang holes right about 3 inches across.

Hears the interesting thing,
The fangs went straight into his fibula (shin bone) the rattler stuck to his leg and couldnt inject any venom!. He pull it off himself and threw the snake as far as he could. It took off, obviously not wanting any more of being stuck to his leg.
This man was fine, venom wise, and end up refusing transport to the hospital and only using an ice bag.
one lucky old fella!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Sad he had to kill it. No offense but...why do rednecks have to kill every animal they come across?

You are an obvious yankee

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

That's a stereotype. Actually, 99% of the people in my area only kill what they eventually eat. I grew up in Miami, and don't really consider myself a redneck, but I live in that kind of area now. They kill poisonous snakes to protect their livestock and families. Most people who grow up in this area have little to do (entertainment-wise; It's 20 miles to the nearest town from my house; more for others). They pass their time by hunting and fishing, and there is an abundance of fish and game still. I generally hit two deers every year on the road here, and I've also hit two hogs...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by grubblesnert

While at Loxohatchee in the 70's, my mother got bit by a Moccasin who was eating from the stringer of fish she caught. He didn't inject her either, but it scared the wits out of all of us...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I just want someone to tell me that it is one helluva photoshop job and....
But it looks pretty legit.
I hope my dogs never run into one of those.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

These days you never know, but I'm assuming it's legit. I lost one of my Rottweilers to a Rattler 3 years ago; it was very sad.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Your eloquent response to tinkerhaus was far superior to my "......obvious yankee
" response.
Good job!

sounds like your mom got lucky with her snake encounter as well!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by visualmiscreant
reply to post by g146541

These days you never know, but I'm assuming it's legit. I lost one of my Rottweilers to a Rattler 3 years ago; it was very sad.

I am sorry and that sucks.
See, I'd shoot it or run like a little girl.
Doggies, well they'll snap into protecter mode.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join