It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Influential Evangelist You've Never Heard Of

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

The Most Influential Evangelist You've Never Heard Of

www.npr.org

David Barton is not a historian. He has a bachelor's degree in Christian education from Oral Roberts University and runs a company called WallBuilders in Aledo, Texas. But his vision of a religion-infused America is wildly popular with churches, schools and the GOP, and that makes him a power. He was named one of Time magazine's most influential evangelicals. He was a long-time vice chairman for the Texas Republican Party. He says that he consults for the federal government and state school boards, that he testifies in court as an expert witness, that he gives a breathtaking 400 speeches a year.

Seeking his endorsement are politicians including Tea Party favorite Ted Cruz of Texas and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, who's mentioned as a possible running mate for Mitt Romney. Newt Gingrich is a fan. So is Mike Huckabee
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Thu Aug 9 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: choose better part of source to quote

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Here is a real conspiracy to take over the running of the USA - it is starting with indoctrinating children in school so that 30 years from now they will have "the right attitude".

It is about rewriting history that someone doesn't like so that it is more favourable to a particular interest group - an interest group that is repressive, anti-democratic, misogynist, racist and violent.

It is about taking control of the very soul of the nation in a deliberate and planned manner, about denying people freedom of thought, about restricting the constitution to fit a particular narrowminded viewpoint, and turning the USA into a theocracy.

Make no mistake - this evangalist is just a part of a nationwide conspiracy to turn the USA into a fundamentalist state every bit as nasty as any other fundamentalist state you care to name.

You may think the NWO exist, or Reptilians control Buckingham Palace and the White House - but compared to those "theories" this one is rock solid - there is no shortage of evidence to support it, it IS actually happening and you can see it yourself!

www.npr.org
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 9-8-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I've heard of Barton. He seems like a good guy and genuinely interested in getting the facts out.

I just wish they would stop putting peoples' political affiliations in front of their names. In cases like this, that doesn't doesn't mean much IMO.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Control the history of a nation and you can shape its future, may take sometime but you could change all the ideologies.

The end result is something it never should of been.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

This is no new, the fundamentalist freaks has been trying to push religion base curriculum into the rear end of our poor and insufficient educational system for decades.

I guess their motto is that we all need Jesus in our lives, and ramming it in our rear end justify the means of salvation

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I see it as a pendulum phenomenon. I think the Christians became concerned with the swing to the left in the education system, so now they're hoping to swing it to the right. Understandable. I don't know of any way to get all bias out of history or many of the other subjects in school. All that can be done is watch for it and protest when it gets excessive.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

edit on 8/9/2012 by Klassified because: Redacted

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
There is a theory or mindset in certain Christian circles called 'Dominionsim'. It's very popular amongst certain well known pastors and leaders.
They are of the opinion that they must somehow subdue all of creation/nations/society to the cause of Jesus before He can return.
How's that for a skewed agenda? That's not how I read my bible.
Is Jesus coming back? Yes, I believe so. Is it soon? Yes, I believe so. Are we commisioned to share the gospel? Yes, I believe so. Are we called to force planet earth into subjectiveness before He returns?
My answer is 'No', because it won't be subjectiveness to Him but to a doctrine/theory/dogma/principle that is very popular these days.
I will leave subjection to Him. He knows what He's doing.
Or is He so powerless that He requires His followers to force and coerce everyone into 'a form of godliness'?
I wasn't forced or coerced into my faith.
I'm here by choice and enlightenment. So should everyone else be.
You can't force people to love Jesus. Don't try, that's not your job.
Conviction and revelation is the job of the Holy Spirit.
Don't try to be a benevolent tyrant to the world.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
All of religion is based on lies.

Why would it supprise anyone that they want to rewrite history like they have done 1000's of times before. Making people stupid works in their favor just like it always has.
edit on 9-8-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
It seems that Mr. Barton is planning the rewriting of history base on religion starting with books then reshaping the young minds to become the mislead adults to run the nation in 30 years.

Well if what is going today is a taste of what the future is to become in the US I will have to say that we are already screwed.

As today leaders were the minds of the young in the past that were reshape to run the present and they are doing the worst job in bringing down the nation.

In 30 years Mr. Barton will have nothing to reshape as America will be no more by then.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

once the concept of freewill is demolished by neuroscience and abiogenisis is confirmed by biologists billions of people across the world will kill themselves and we will be free of the disease of religion.

With all those dead idiots the world will be a whole lot lighter and peace will be a reality.
edit on 9-8-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I don't think this really has anything to do with religion. It seems to have more to do with blind patriotism than anything else, maybe they using religion to accomplish their end, but the end is a political one. There are many Christian circles that love America more than they love God, you see that a lot on fundamentalist boards, America first, Bible second, logic third (or farther down). Someone who actually fundamentally followed the teachings of Jesus would be horrified at America's history and ashamed to call themselves American, IMO.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
In a related note, the publisher of Barton's book "The Jefferson Lies" has withdrawn it, saying they have "lost confidence in the book's details" - which I think is them saying they think is is a load of rubbish/pack of lies.

Casey Francis Harrell, Thomas Nelson’s director of corporate communications, told me the publishing house “was contacted by a number of people expressing concerns about [The Jefferson Lies].” The company began to evaluate the criticisms, Harrell said, and “in the course of our review learned that there were some historical details included in the book that were not adequately supported. Because of these deficiencies we decided that it was in the best interest of our readers to stop the publication and distribution.”

Thomas Nelson is actually a "christian" publisher, and apparently even some "conservative" christians are questioning the validity of the "scholarship"....to use a euphemism!

A full-scale, newly published critique of Barton is coming from Professors Warren Throckmorton and Michael Coulter of Grove City College, a largely conservative Christian school in Pennsylvania. Their book Getting Jefferson Right: Fact Checking Claims about Our Third President (Salem Grove Press), argues that Barton “is guilty of taking statements and actions out of context and simplifying historical circumstances.” For example, they charge that Barton, in explaining why Jefferson did not free his slaves, “seriously misrepresents or misunderstands (or both) the legal environment related to slavery.”

I expect some fundamentalist nutjob publisher will probably pick it up tho

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Not sticking up for the guy, because I don't agree with him, however, isn't it like being back in high school? I mean we have to deal with the Progressives shoving their ideology down our throats, so it is quite obvious that there will be people like this guy that trys to shove the total opposite down our throats. It shows the immaturity of humanity as a whole that we allow these kinds of people to keep the back and forth garbage to continue!

2 wrongs DO NOT EQUAL 1 RIGHT! When will people learn.........

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

the trouble with science and history, as established facts (as much as they can be) is that they are not an ideology.

It is cerainly possible to misrepresent them to support an ideology - and it is certainly possible for them to contradict an ideology (eg evolution vs young earth creationism) - but that is the fault of hte ideology, not of the factual information.

That is why people call evolution "Darwinism", for example - because if they represent it as an "-ism" they can say it is an ideology and not objective science, and then they can argue against it. such an argumetn is both intellectualy and simply dishonest - it is patch protection, nothing more or less.

top topics

join