It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LUCKY DOG! Man orders $300 TV, gets $1,500 assault rifle instead.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
This guy has to be the luckiest man on Earth. He went and ordered a flat screen TV through Amazon.com and what the UPS guy dropped off at his door was an assault rifle instead.

Washington man orders TV, gets high-caliber assault rifle instead

All Seth Horvitz wanted was a Westinghouse 39-inch LED television. Instead, he got a high-caliber, semi-automatic assault rifle.

The Washington resident, who had ordered the television through a third-party vendor on Amazon.com, first realized that something wasn't quite right when a long, narrow box showed up at his apartment Tuesday, DCist reported.

"When I brought it in and opened it, I was totally shocked," Horvitz told DCist.

The package contained a Sig Sauer SIG716, a Swiss-made 7.6 pound, 37-inch-long assault rifle.

Horvitz's name and address were on the mailing label. But inside the box, an invoice contained the address of a Pennsylvania gun shop.

NY Daily News

I checked online and these things sell for over $1,500.

He did the right thing and called the cops who came and took possession of the weapon since it is illegal to own one in DC. They said he couldn't even try to return it since its illegal to even transport one in the people's republic of Washington DC.

Of course, this brought out the usual anti-gun yahoos, spouting off about how US gun laws are so dangerous and such.

"We've seen in recent weeks the tremendous damage these guns can do," said Dan Gross, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, which campaigns for greater gun control in the United States.

"We have to be better than a nation where assault weapons are so prevalent and can so easily end up in dangerous hands," he said in a statement. "It's deeply disturbing."

NDTV

You can see the whole story here.

I love how the UPS guy just dumped it off and wouldn't even stop when they guy pointed out it was the wrong package. They think the label must have fallen off his TV package and ended up on the Rifle in stead.

In my opinion, this just shows why America is so damn AWESOME!

edit on 8/9/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
should have used said gun to rob some people and get multiple TV's, thats how america works capitalism buds

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I hope the gun control fools know its illegal to ship guns to people who arent federally licensed firearms dealers...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I just don't know why this guy is "lucky".

What is it with people and them salivating at big guns?

Edit - Or guns in general? I'm not anti-gun, but some people go crazy over guns. What's the point unless you use it to hunt (can't buy your own food? Have to kill a helpless animal when there is enough food out there?) or to protect yourself?

I remember some dude here (he's probably not here anymore). His avatar was of him holding a gun to the camera like a badass. The dude was in his early 20's. Is it like when men have small things and they get that nice big car to make up for it?

I just don't get it.
edit on 8/9/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Damn, wish I could be so lucky. That is a nice Sig, and way better than any t.v.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

It's not a "big gun", a .50 BMG is a big gun. Secondly, a lot of people like guns in the U.S., deal with it.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by VikingWarlord

It's not a "big gun", a .50 BMG is a big gun. Secondly, a lot of people like guns in the U.S., deal with it.

Hey gun-lover - I do deal with it. It doesn't bother me, but like I said in my last post, I can't see WHY people get crazy over guns when there are only two or three things you can use them for (I forgot to mention shooting ranges).

So tell me. Does it make you feel more like a man when you have a gun in your hand?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
I hope the gun control fools know its illegal to ship guns to people who arent federally licensed firearms dealers...

Funny how they forgot to mention that in every single MSM source I could find for this story.

Who says the MSM doesn't have an agenda?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Lucky? Hardly. He didn't get his TV. Didn't get to keep the rifle. Got about 5 minutes of accidental fame.

The only way in which he's lucky is that the cops didnt beat his head in and arrest him for unlawful possession. That in itself is a miracle.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I hate having to explain this to people, they are fun to shoot, they are used to survive, they can save your life. When idiots like yourself ask "does it make you feel like a man?" I seriously wonder why? Several FEMALE members of my family love to hunt and target shoot, as do millions of FEMALES all over the U.S. Get over yourself.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I hate having to explain this to people, they are fun to shoot, they are used to survive, they can save your life. When idiots like yourself ask "does it make you feel like a man?" I seriously wonder why? Several FEMALE members of my family love to hunt and target shoot, as do millions of FEMALES all over the U.S. Get over yourself.

See, here we go - now I'm an idiot and I need to get over myself.

Your own post proves the kind of person you are - you know it all.

I must have ruffled some feathers. Sorry about that.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

When you asked if it feels like a man when I held a gun it was purely an inflammatory and IDIOTIC statement. You must be IMPAIRED mentally to think that a reason to own a gun would be to make you feel like a man, when females like them too. Then you brush it off like nothing and then further insult me. YES GET OVER YOURSELF, and move on. No, check that, I will move on because I do not want to go further off topic. Sorry OP

edit on 8/9/12 by VikingWarlord because: Off Topic

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
(sigh)

It is *NOT* Illegal to ship or mail a firearm in the United States. It's just not UNIVERSALLY permitted and it's a real pain in the ass, to be frank. I deal with it just often enough personally to wish doom on pencil pushers who write laws that require lawyers to read.

Here is the FAQ for this on the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms's own website though. I'd thought about quotes out of Title 18, ch 44 directly, but that would be cruel and unusual punishment without a law degree. lol

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

there is one between these for Common carriers specifically, but these two seemed to show the code best for space.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
Source

In this case, the sale of that gun, if it'd been intended, would have been illegal for a few reasons. However, simply seeing likely guns shipped through the mail (as carriers) or having a rifle arrive by mistake like this, doesn't mean anything improper happened.

Just like you can fly with a gun in checked baggage...(just be ready for the headaches of a lifetime, leaving and arriving)

Just like you can buy full blown machine guns and even Heavy machine guns as private citizens. (If one has the money, patience for the ATF licensing and $ per machine gun for the tax stamp)

Anyway.. Hope that helps a bit. Sure is a lot of 'This IS legal' and 'That is NOT legal' on these gun topics for laws which are posted in many official places for all to see... Oh Well...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

See, here we go - now I'm an idiot and I need to get over myself.

Your own post proves the kind of person you are - you know it all.

I must have ruffled some feathers. Sorry about that.

First off, you never rustled my feathers, and I will not call you an idiot! I must say however, that people who ask why we need bigger and better guns, ask yourself this question, "How can I defend myself from a tyrannical government with the latest and greatest firepower, while I am stuck with this single shot pea shooter?".

Does that make more sense than those who think the 2nd is for protection and hunting? I myself used to ask why people needed these "big guns", and then I buckled down and actually learned why our forefathers put the 2nd in the Constitution in the first place! It wasn't for hunting or target practice, it was to help us overthrow a government gone wild. Does that make sense?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Like I said, I'm not against guns.

I'm just saying I can't see what makes people go crazy over them the way they do.

And Viking - I thought we were done here? U mad, bro? Get over YOURSELF. You must have took it for inflammatory because it pissed you off, apparently. Did that ring true for you or something?

So what if women use guns? How many women do you see going, "Oooh!! Look at that gun! It's effin' awesome! OMG OMG!".

Even so, I stick with what I said.

And I never said I wasn't down with guns for self defense. But for against the government? So you all are going to be shooting at the government when they "come for you"?

I don't have the need for a gun because I have nothing to worry about or anything to prove. Not directing that at you, Seeker.
By the way, I agree with your post. Well said.
edit on 8/9/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

When you asked if it feels like a man when I held a gun it was purely an inflammatory and IDIOTIC statement. You must be IMPAIRED mentally to think that a reason to own a gun would be to make you feel like a man, when females like them too. Then you brush it off like nothing and then further insult me. YES GET OVER YOURSELF, and move on. No, check that, I will move on because I do not want to go further off topic. Sorry OP

edit on 8/9/12 by VikingWarlord because: Off Topic

That wasn't inflammatory. It was a simple question and look what it did.

Insults, anger... And these are some people who love/own guns...

Just look at your hate-filled post. Do you own a gun?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
reply to post by seeker1963

So what if women use guns? How many women do you see going, "Oooh!! Look at that gun! It's effin' awesome! OMG OMG!".

LOL you certainly do not know enough women then. Trust me when I say there are plenty of women out there who do just that. I know women who go gun shopping instead of shoe/dress shopping.

Beyond that I will stick with what my wife said. It arrived at my home and was confirmed delivered even though it was the wrong address (if something you did not order comes to you, you get to keep it by law, contacting the police caused him nothing but a loss). We would have kept it. No one would have been called, no one would have known. Eventually the TV would have showed up also. If nothing else he could have sold it and made a profit.

Raist

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I wonder if this will cause an increase in people ordering TVs from 3rd party sellers on Amazon?

I think I saw in one of the stories on this that they guy posted his experience as a review of the TV on the Amazon website. If I could look up that listing, I might be tempted to order that same TV, hoping that something with a little more firepower might show up at my door.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I like guns, their designs and different types of bullets or shells they fire and I think a responsible person is perfectly capable of owning and using a gun with no bad things happening. Guns are dangerous and should only be licensed for use to people who pass gun safety test and have a clear record so I understand anyone who is anti gun, my wife is and the morons who do stupid stuff with guns make it difficult for responsible gun owners to get their point across without being labeled a gun nut.

What can I say guns shaped alot of the world and have a big part of our history for the last half millenia and we cant just forget that and meat you kill yourself is always going to be better than anything mass produced for super marker sale.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slickinfinity

I like guns, their designs and different types of bullets or shells they fire and I think a responsible person is perfectly capable of owning and using a gun with no bad things happening. Guns are dangerous and should only be licensed for use to people who pass gun safety test and have a clear record so I understand anyone who is anti gun, my wife is and the morons who do stupid stuff with guns make it difficult for responsible gun owners to get their point across without being labeled a gun nut.

What can I say guns shaped alot of the world and have a big part of our history for the last half millenia and we cant just forget that and meat you kill yourself is always going to be better than anything mass produced for super marker sale.

Thank you. This was the kind of post I was hoping to see - informative - not full of insults, etc.

Thank you, Slickinfinity.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join