It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eat, Fast and Live Longer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Hi , i watched the latest Horizon program from the BBC last night about eating,fasting and living longer. I thought it was an amazing program , they put forward science that you can significantly reduce your chances of cancer , heart disease, diabetes , lower cholesterol , glucose , repair damaged DNA , lose weight, regrow neurons in the brain and a whole bunch of other great health benefits by :

- Doing a 3 and a half day fast where you only eat a single 50 calorie cup a soup each day (you can have black tea and water) as well.

- Afterwards go on a regimen of 5 days of normal eating with 2 days of reduced calories (400 for women and 600 for men)

I highly recommend watching the program and id love to hear peoples thoughts on the science presented in it.

If you are in the uk you can see the program here : www.bbc.co.uk...

If you live outside of the uk you can see it here : www.tubeplus.me...

I was so impressed with the results that the presenter got after just 5 weeks that both me and my girlfriend are going to try it tomorrow. Starting with the 3 day fast ( wish us luck
)

Has anyone else tried something like this?

edit on 9-8-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
With they way most people eat, they are not exactly denying themselves vitamins or minerals by fasting. Also, I believe fasting helps duplicate the way humans ate for thousands of years, that is with no guarantees and periodic scarcities.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I'm not doing the 5/2 but I've recently started the 16/8 fast that Martin Berkhan talks about on his site Lean Gains. I'm not eating from 10 pm until 2 pm the next day and I don't feel like I'm starving even though I don't eat until 8 hours after I get up in the morning. The funny thing is that it's honestly hard at times to squeeze all my food into the 8 hour eating window. I generally go to bed feeling pretty full and satisfied.

Good luck on this 5/2 setup. Don't expect to hear any main source other than science trumpeting this eating style because they can't sell you breakfast tacos or lunch time specials if you're never eating at that time of day.

EDIT: The main buy in for me was what I read about insulin response and sensitivity. You just can't lose fat easily if your body is pumping out insulin which is the fat storage signal you get after eating most anything especially the carbohydrates that most meals are made of.
edit on 8/9/2012 by dbates because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Are there special foods when you do eat? How long have you been doing this?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
No can Do.... i lived a life like that eating regimen for decades

Definition of REGIMEN. : a systematic plan (as of diet, therapy, or medication) especially when designed to improve and maintain the health of a patient ......
www.merriam-webster.com/medical/regimen

...Byfasting for a day a week and then taking only liquids for a 3 day stint every month

but after accidents & such
i am on a steady diet of beer consumption at about 2-3 cases a week, with intermittant foods in-between for the last 17 or more years

good health/luck with your trials... it sure cannot hurt you
and it might help prepare you for the forced 'Austerity' we will be having forced upon us...foods will be scarcer and more costly from now oN
edit on 9-8-2012 by St Udio because: put a U in austerity

thanks
edit on 9-8-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

The main buy in for me was what I read about insulin response and sensitivity. You just can't lose fat easily if your body is pumping out insulin which is the fat storage signal you get after eating most anything especially the carbohydrates that most meals are made of.

That's one of the main reasons i'm giving it ago as well. In the documentary they said there's a group of people in the world that have a very low insulin growth factor 1 levels. It seems that there has never been a single reported case of cancer or hearth disease amongst them yet they drink and smoke like the rest of the world.

After doing the 3 day fast the presenter on the documentary IGF1 levels halved! The doctors said if he could maintain that then there was only a 1 in million chance of him getting cancer or heart disease. The levels went back up after a couple of weeks so he went on the 5:2 diet and then only 5 weeks later his IGF1 levels were back at half what they were before he started , his bad cholesterol had reduced and his body fat had gone from 29% to 19%.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Star and Flag.

I'm personally a breakfast person, i.e. my productivity at work is markedly higher when I have a moderate but still solid breakfast. So I don't know if I'm up to continuous regimen like that. Fasting for a day once in a while is not a problem.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

Definition of REGIMEN. : a systematic plan (as of diet, therapy, or medication) especially when designed to improve and maintain the health of a patient ......

...Byfasting for a day a week and then taking only liquids for a 3 day stint every month

i am on a steady diet of beer consumption at about 2-3 cases a week, with intermittant foods in-between for the last 17 or more years

and it might help prepare you for the forced 'Austerity' we will be having forced upon us...foods will be scarcer and more costly from now oN

thanks

Ahh yes, beer...
Its what I call liquid bread!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
if you suffer from metabilic syndrome, you might not want to go that route hoping to lose weight. You are better off figuring out why you are fat and fixing that problem, losing the weight slowly and waiting on any fasts until you get your blood sugar situation under control. Calorie restriction as a means to longevity has been around awhile - supposedly proven. I'm personally not quite so sure about 3-day fasts as that seems a bit excessive - especially for those of us who have employers who expect us to be productive.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mjfromga

if you suffer from metabilic syndrome, you might not want to go that route hoping to lose weight.

Yes youre right ,they do say about that in the documentary.

The idea is you just do the 3 day fast once a month. Then after that its just reduced calories 2 days a week. Basically you just have 1 meal a day on those 2 days.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mjfromga
I'm personally not quite so sure about 3-day fasts as that seems a bit excessive - especially for those of us who have employers who expect us to be productive.

That's a point long since known in the Orthodox Christian tradition, with its annual great Lent which in fact is 6 weeks of a strict vegan regimen, plus the first 3 days and the last one is 100% fast. But those who actively work get explicit dispensation.

I started sticking to veggies a few months ago and I do feel a whole lot better. Didn't lose too much weight, but just feel lighter anyhow.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by watergoddess
Are there special foods when you do eat? How long have you been doing this?

I'm still eating the same diet I was before. I use weights in a recreational sense so I try to eat medium amounts of complex carbohydrates, fair amount of protein, and limit fat somewhat. I'd say it's about 40% carbs, 35% protein, and 35% fat but I normally go over on protein and under on fats. On the whole I think that intermittent fasting is supposed to be about simplicity. I don't think you need to micro manage your specific categories so much or even necessarily be paranoid about your calorie intake. This is supposed to simplify things.

I still watch my total calorie intake. I don't think fasting is a free license to eat all the junk food you like. My daily goal is about 2500 calories and I keep that regardless of eating more frequently or on the 16/8 fast. Again that's just me being a control freak. I've been eating good pretty much all year long. I just started reading about the fasting and got serious about that about a week ago so it's too soon for me to make a judgement call on the issue personally other than to say I dont' feel like I'm starving during the day.

I thought it was funny that I just started doing this and then it showed up here as a topic.

EDIT: I'm down 31 pounds since the beginning of the year. Mostly from calorie restrictions. I'm hoping that this fasting method is a more manageable approach that allows me to spend less time worrying about food. So far it does help with that point for sure. Much less time for eating means more time to do other things.
edit on 8/9/2012 by dbates because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
EDIT: I'm down 31 pounds since the beginning of the year.

Dude... Congrats!

Much less time for eating means more time to do other things.

I'm always in a hurry, never enough time to make a proper pitcher of Margaritas... But now you found a solution!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Congrats on losing the 31 pounds.

The only thing im worried about is losing to much muscle as ive built myself up over the last year going to the gym 3 times a week.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

thanks

You dont need fasting you need this.......www.aa.org...

Fasting works!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Its day two of my fast and although im not feeling massively hungry i am feeling pretty light headed.

I woke up with a very bad headache but i think that might have been the lack of caffeine as i usually drink a lot of energy drinks during the day. I took 2 ibuprofen and had a sip of a zero calorie energy drink and the pains gone away now.

I had to get rid of all the food in my refrigerator last night as i found myself walking into the kitchen to look for a snack out of habit. lol. Im thinking that doing this on the weekend probably was not the best idea, ive been invited to two barbecues and one party which ive had to turn down

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
I took 2 ibuprofen and had a sip of a zero calorie energy drink and the pains gone away now.

When you are fasting you should be cleansing, you shouldn't take the pain killers. Chances are you were dehydrated. Try drinking a couple of glasses of water first next time and failing that take some magnesium. I have no issue with ibuprofen but not during a fast. Also, PLEASE tell me that there was no aspartame in that energy drink!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by minettejo

A marketed 0 cal bev, oh yeah brother, it's got aspartame or sucralose or any one of those devil's brews in it for sure!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by minettejo

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
I took 2 ibuprofen and had a sip of a zero calorie energy drink and the pains gone away now.

When you are fasting you should be cleansing, you shouldn't take the pain killers. Chances are you were dehydrated. Try drinking a couple of glasses of water first next time and failing that take some magnesium. I have no issue with ibuprofen but not during a fast. Also, PLEASE tell me that there was no aspartame in that energy drink!

Thanks for the advice , there was no aspartame but there was Acesulfame K , but i only had one gulp to wash down the pain killers.

I guess i could have been dehydrated but i had been drinking bottled water the day before. Ill try water next time.

edit on 11-8-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I tried the Master Cleanse a few years ago. I lasted 5 days fasting without food. Only ingesting lemon, cayenne pepper, maple syrup and water. I had to use an herbal laxative,

I experience headaches at first.

My aches and pains went away, and I lost 20 pounds.

I feel that this form of fasting is very extreme and I would not recommend this without close medical supervision.

I've been experimenting with intermittent fasting, I have been eating within a 5-6 hour time window and just try to drink plenty of water in between and exercise.

I've lost 10 pounds.

I have had some cheat days.

Intermittent fasting is currently popular among bodybuilders trying to get leaner. There are a variety of videos about it on youtube.

Good topic Phoenix!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join