It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK, Birmingham play center bans men and male children over 9

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Phhhh, was struggling to find a forum to post this as there isn't a forum for dumbass policies.

www.birminghammail.net...

Staff openly tell men they are not allowed in and a flyer posted to homes in the city reads: “Ladies and children only. No boys over nine allowed.” Read More www.birminghammail.net...

Even the populations they are obviously trying to target with this policy are outraged. for those that don't know the area has a high asian population.

This is the country I live in. I work in this area sometimes. I mean, seriously, I am embarrassed.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Try telling me as a parent that I can't enter where my child is, Oh.. It'll be a hot time in the old place in about 1 minute flat.

I have a son, not a daughter, but it doesn't matter does it? What if my wife dropped a daughter off to play and for any of a 100 reasons, couldn't get back or needed me to? Umm.. I'm sorry, but ANYPLACE that has children had better be 100% open to both parents, on demand and without advance warning of any form ...or it can just be closed. That's my view here or there. Cultural my foot. The well being of kids and open access by parents trumps culture every day, in any nation, IMO.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The thing that gets me is, even if its cultural then they have totally misread what is accepted and not accepted.

If it was a religious ceremony then yes this would be acceptable. Its a play center. One of the interviewee's has 4 male children and highlighted the point if one of them was over 9 she couldn't take any. Equal rights campaigners are already on them checking the policy as this is allowed in exceptional circumstances.

I am wondering if this is simply a PR stunt as no-one running a business could be this stupid by accident.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The War On Parents continues.

I'm really frustrated with these idiot child firsters who think all parents don't deserve their children.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
EDIT: missed the second page, so it appears even the asians are against this? what is the motive for such an idea?
edit on 9-8-2012 by wingsfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I honestly think this must be a PR campaign.

I hope it is in fact. if people actually think this is a good idea then that worries me.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
My understanding from reading this is that the play area is in a heavily Muslim area. The Muslim women are asking for a place where they can remove some of their coverings and play freely with their children, because of restrictions which Islam places on mixed sex activities with strangers.

I don't want to get into my opinions but it seems there are two schools of thought about what "rights" mean. This may be a symbol of upcoming trends.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

That's my understanding too. If they want a play service for little girls and don't want little boys a part of it, I can see that. Likewise, there ought to be equal freedom to open a place geared in design and things chosen to play on/with that cater to boys.

It's the 'CANNOT' enter part for a male parent I say absolutely no on. I realize it's England and not US of course, but some of the worst little quirks like this seem to be what our two nations are sharing the most here lately. If both parents can come and go freely, as needed, it sounds fine. As long as the above IS true for is going the other way just as easily..and for any reason. Culture? whatever. Maybe someone want's the boys version out of sheer masculine pride. lol.. Shouldn't matter outside of a place of Worship.

Extending to parents tho? Never.. Ever... Not in this life. That's how any parent should be 100% purely on safety and principle.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Lol are you serious. You're upset over this but not over companies refusing homosexuals wedding cakes?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Oh then in that case I definitely think they have absolutely every right to ban men. That is their religious right, or at least it would be in America. I don't know how the UK laws see this.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
We all have to be culturaly sensitive to the residents of the Birmingistan. It's always been a #hole but at least it used to be an English #hole.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by binkman

Not even the race that this measure is aimed at think its a good idea.

If you actually tried and engage with people of Indo/Pak descent you would find that they are going through an identity crisis in the UK. Their parents hold onto the religious values but the younger generation are quickly assimilating into UK culture.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by murch
reply to post by binkman

Not even the race that this measure is aimed at think its a good idea.

If you actually tried and engage with people of Indo/Pak descent you would find that they are going through an identity crisis in the UK. Their parents hold onto the religious values but the younger generation are quickly assimilating into UK culture.

Their parents should have been forced to assimilate the second they stepped off the boat, then we wouldn't be having this problem.

The old adage has proven to be absolutely true; give an inch and they'll take a mile.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by cetaphobic

Dear cetaphobic,

You've opened up a new idea, thanks. But I'm afraid I don't understand it very well.

Oh then in that case I definitely think they have absolutely every right to ban men. That is their religious right, or at least it would be in America. I don't know how the UK laws see this.
A "religious right?" In America? How does a religious right compare to a constitutional right? Is every religion allowed to enforce "religious rights" in America? Is honor killing a religious right? What law was passed, or what section of the Constitution can we point to, which creates "religious rights" as displayed in this story? Can you provide any similar stories in the US?

See why I'm confused? Help would be appreciated.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The solution is simple.. Take your business elsewhere..

Then get the equalities commission on the mofo to stamp this out before it gets too common

top topics

join