It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Mission, Space Exploration Money Better Spent on Earth?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

It's no joke . The money spent goes to high tech and well paying jobs . But if one prefers another nation to lead the way in such developments , then ok fine as there are a lot of countries willing to pick up the torch .

The R&D of space tech has a lot of direct economic benifits for the people of the nation doing the investing .

The return on the investment as well as the new tech advancements is why we need to invest in space .
edit on 9-8-2012 by Max_TO because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Here is the problem, everyone wants immediate results for their money. Every single time we go into space and come back or send out a probe....the effects are not seen right away...and the effect and benefits seem so miniscule that it appears not worth it, but here is my view...
We HAVE to do this. Every single mission we do leads us one step closer to spreading off of earth and out into the universe, and that is VITAL to our well being in the long run. We HAVE to get off this rock eventually, or we will die out. We cannot wait, it must be going on now and tomorrow and the year after etc...because it will take us that long to learn everything we need to know and understand to move out into the Universe and keep the human race going and alive.
We are doomed without exploration of space, and that is a fact that we cannot ignore unless we want to go extinct.

IMO

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Originally posted by Kryties

Discovery of life, in any form, on another planet will change humanities entire outlook on life.

But will it really? Scores of people believe in life elsewhere anyway. Its not going to change a lot if its confirmed.

I agree. So do we really need to prove it when so many people are already perfectly content to simply believe it?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
How many out there actually botherd to research what the direct benifits of a worth while space program provide to regular people and there nation ?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
We HAVE to do this. Every single mission we do leads us one step closer to spreading off of earth and out into the universe, and that is VITAL to our well being in the long run. We HAVE to get off this rock eventually, or we will die out. We cannot wait, it must be going on now and tomorrow and the year after etc...because it will take us that long to learn everything we need to know and understand to move out into the Universe and keep the human race going and alive.
We are doomed without exploration of space, and that is a fact that we cannot ignore unless we want to go extinct.

See, as I've said, it's pretty obvious that we're already doomed, and space exploration is something our offspring (our artificially intelligent descendants) may experience, but not us. We can speculate about fantastic and wonderful warp drive ships or whatever, but our limited space research has shown us that space is just too big, and we can't pass the physical to get out into it. Is that enough of an answer? Send out cheap probes, maybe to gather information that a few people might be interested in, sure. But otherwise, space looks like a dead end.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
How many out there actually botherd to research what the direct benifits of a worth while space program provide to regular people and there nation ?

The trick with that would be to compare it to what would have happened if the same amount of money would have been spent on transportation or communications or some other Earth-bound endeavor. Yeah, people have "benefited" and continue to do so, but that will happen if you throw tons of money at anything. How much sooner could we have had the Internet or HD TV? Is that even possible to calculate?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Your kidding , right ?

So on one hand we have proof of direct return on investment , and on the other hand we have a " what if " argument ?

Anyway for those interested , here is something to get you started with researching this issue en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Consider this...........

The WH org states that 4 billion a year would provide essentials for all those without food/water and other essentials to meet those needs..........

.............the nations of the world spend 200 billion a year on weapons trade..........that's 50 times the budget of taking care of people........

So my dream is this...........

Take what is spent on weapons trade.................and first take care of those in need with 4 billion.........throw in an extra billion just in case...........

and take all the nations with their techologies of weapon trade and turn the rest of that money into a 195 billion dolar a year space program for the nations to work together to further our exploration of space.........instead of production and technology to destory each other..............lets produce and build for exploration instead.

Let the nation work together rather than destroy each other to find and colonize new worlds some day.........

A dream.............

Space travel is always worth the investment.............and it could be worth so much more if only we look up in the sky instead of at the feet of our neighbor through the site of a gun scope...........

Watch "pale blue dot" by Carl Sagan on Youtube............I wasn't the only one with this dream

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by futuretense

Thanks for the movie recommendation , I will check it out !

But to touch on the percent of money spent on issue....

" we " spend more on alcohol per year then we do on the space program .

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

So you believe that we are hitting a dead end technology wise.
Let other generations figure it out.....
God, I'd be bored then.

I love everything about space I can get my hands on to learn, and have been like that since I was a little kid. I find these missions and new sattlelites and telescopes and google earth/mars/universe as awesome.....

And someday, when a meteor is going to slam into earth and they can deflect or move it somehow, I will think back on this if I am still around and chuckle...cause if we didn't explore space, we would go out like the dinosaurs.
IMO

But I understand, the world is screwed up and the money is going to all kinds of crazy places....get rid of the worlds war machines first. Turn those swords into plows, but leave the space program out of it, because some day, we might actually need all of this collected knowledge. Better to be safe than sorry.

I hear ya, there is a lot of fixin that needs to be done down here too.
edit on 9-8-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join