It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Mayor Signs Up For Mass Surveillance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

New York Mayor Signs Up For Mass Surveillance

news.sky.com

The Domain Awareness System (DAS), developed by Microsoft engineers working with the NYPD, will link around 3,000 cameras - primarily in Manhattan's financial and business districts at first - with suspects' arrest records, related crimes, licence plate readers and other data to build a real-time portrait of the individual under scrutiny.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the system had been created by police officers, detectives and software developers working in a "dynamic partnership between NYPD and the Microsoft Corporation".
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ibtimes.com
www.lawfareb log.com

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
As long as they use DAS in a responsible and just manner I think we could witness a great increase in crimes committed to justify the great expense of this new system of cyber-security.

Microsoft must no doubt be making a huge profit from this investment and has increasingly become much more involved with this kind of thing.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Now that is a network that WILL be infiltrated, its simply screaming for attention and id bet that if and when ever its infiltrated that not a single word will be leaked to the public.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I guess Ny would need it after Bloomberg was telling Cops to go on strike until gun control was in acted.

Sounds like another brilliant idea from NY Genius Mayor...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Basically it's Facebook tagging in the real world.

Some bureaucrat can type in a name or a SS# and you'll pop up on screen with live tracking.

Some pervert can type up your childs name and get live tracking.

Some jaded cop pissed off at his wife who took the kids to her mothers the last time he hit her can type in her name and get live tracking data.

Yeah, this will work wonderfully. No issues at all.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Unfortunately, the DAS cannot be used for the better good. It's just spying on the public. Apparently Bloomberg wants to turn Manhattan into London. He is in my opinion a horrible person to have for a mayor. I can't understand why anyone would keep voting him into office.

How much will it cost to have a team monitor those 24/7? If the goal is to reduce crime, why put it primarily in the financial and business districts? A good portion of crime happens outside of that area because it's already heavily policed. This sounds like they want to protect those big-wigs more so than the general population.

Also, if it's a Microsoft system, you can rest assured that the security will be awful and it will be breached. Having dealt with the NYPD personally during many trips down to the city, I don't believe they are mature and professional enough to have this technology. The precedent it sets is distrubing.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Yet another in my long list of reasons why....

"I don't care how they do it in NY."

I don't want to live there.

I don't want to visit there and....

Most assuredly I don't want any more of their dip-# politicians taking their retarded ideas to the national level so that all Americans can bask in the glory of the police state that is NYC.

I'm ok regulating what I eat I have been doing it successfully for quite some time. I am ok with my choice of soft drink sizes.

I am ok with government not being involved in my life at all as a matter of fact.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Reading this story reminds me of how we, as Americans, have been preprogramed to accept this with open-arms for the past few years.

Ever seen this show?

Person of Interest

And let's not forget everyone's favorite precrime movie...

Minority Report

My friends, the future is here!

Unfortunately it may not be the one we had hoped for. This system will be abused and innocent people will suffer because of it, I think we can be certain of that much.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
London, can I introduce you to New York?

New York, shake hands with London.

I'll be watching you.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Being a consummate-cynic wannabe, I have to say that the fact that this "weapon" is being deployed specifically in the financial district, is a clear indicator that the banking cartel has demanded tax-payers pay for their "enhanced" security.

Why? Because they, and the sycophants that serve them (political thespians all,) are frightened. Public awareness about their true nature is increasing beyond their capacity to offset with media propaganda, and they are running out of startling tragedies to distract us with.

Microsoft is just another cog in the wheel of the newer 'corporate' government alliance. Which stands to reason since it was the government that made Microsoft what it is today.

I suppose it was an inevitable development, and this kind of surveillance will last until it proves one of them guilty of something... then there will be outrage expressed by politicians and lobbyists.... and it will cost a fortune to remove (yes, we will be paying for that too.)

edit on 9-8-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Since I just had my car broken into, I cannot unbiasedly comment on this.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

I've had some troubling visions about the future. I'm a little glad I have no offspring.

I thought I coined the term...technology+fascism=technofascism.

I used to 'google' it. It was always spell correcting my entry and it didn't exist. Then I stopped using google, except when on sites that are google based. I never saw mention of 'technofascism', until recently. Now, there's a bunch of results stating that such and such is the one who invented the term and so on. I think he uses it in some other way than the one I think in terms of. Like the future...like right now. I think google is intentionally deflecting from the term's obvious meaning. Tech advances that cannot avoid morphing us into a fascist state.

I thought I thought of the phrase 'The greatest trick the devil ever pulled...', because I did think of it, and phrased it exactly as did Beaudelaire, over a century ago. As used in 'The Usual Suspects' and so on. I don't care who takes credit for what. It's not who is right, it's what's right. And people think of the same stuff all the time, I know.

But there's a push, by the powers, to change the technofascist meme to another meaning. I just suspect there's a push. They probably describe it as 'unfair hoarding of technological advances' or some thing in that area. It would have to be a counter-meme, I thought. I could not bear to look. It's what they do. They goofed big when they rushed RnD while seizing opportunity on the gay 'crisis'. 'Don't ask, don't tell' was originally minted to read 'Don't ask, don't answer'. They are semantic opposites. One destroys the other.

It's all bad.

You'll know, when you finally get off grid, and one still night, it approaches you, in your middle of nowhere haven, where you went to escape the self replicating net of technofascism, and tries to give the nerves you grew, like roots into heaven and earth, your spirit, a crew cut. There will be no gentle knock, nor battering ram, used on your barricaded door. Power just can't get enough of itself, and that's what makes a God take notice that we could use a little help. That is why I reserve the right to hate. Shove your clear eyes, little lambs, right back into your heads, and take a look. Recognize a slaughter when you see one.

edit on 9-8-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Since I just had my car broken into, I cannot unbiasedly comment on this.

Wow, you're rolling over as hard as you can. See how easy it is?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This is evil.

Really- what good can come from it?

I see harrassment happening on the highest of levels.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
People in NY needs to get that corporate whore monkey they have for major out of their lives and as soon as possible, he is a corporate whore he has an agenda and is been paid under the table as usual by big wall street interest.

People forget sometimes that NY have one of the most corrupted cities in the nation when it comes to police corruption.

Darn is in their city history.

wake up people "boombug" is a corrupted piece of work

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidmann

You'll know, when you finally get off grid, and one still night, it approaches you, in your middle of nowhere haven, where you went to escape the self replicating net of technofascism, and tries to give the nerves you grew, like roots into heaven and earth, your spirit, a crew cut. There will be no gentle knock, nor battering ram, used on your barricaded door. Power just can't get enough of itself, and that's what makes a God take notice that we could use a little help. That is why I reserve the right to hate. Shove your clear eyes, little lambs, right back into your heads, and take a look. Recognize a slaughter when you see one.

(My god, can you write!)

But I would like to add that this type of power is self-destroying. What we are seeing here is its death throes. It will get worse before it gets better. But remember, it simply can't sustain itself.

Reserve, along with the right to hate, the right to love. We'll need that in the times to come.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
If it is just the financial districts that are getting this 'security' then maybe part of it is to have another visual
shift, No big crimes will be pulled in these areas, no protests, no NON financial guys hanging around these areas, reserved for the wealthy, hell why not build a big wall round the area to, to keep the riffraff out (the End goal).

And thats WITHOUT mentioning the realism of the system being abused which it will be.

As bad as this is I don't think its as bad as Google glasses if they take off in the future...
Glasses which can watch your movements/see what you see, have GPS and if lots of people use them then this is essentially a walking CCTV setup, which again will be abused.

The future is looking like an orwellian future with some Philip K dick Paranoia.

top topics

join