Old disinformation - benign (mostly) but with implications for some 'experts.'

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Source: NASA Had No Idea How To Save Apollo 13, But An MIT Student Reportedly Did

In a nutshell; the true savior of the Apollo 13 crew was not the high-powered brain trust at NASA, as we have been told again and again.... it was what many contemporary people might have referred to as a long-haired hippie college student from MIT. Since the "hero" of the hour was such a poster child for anti-establishment imagery, that fact was hidden .... for decades....

A 97-year old ex-deputy chief of NASA media relations (during the time of the Apollo 8 and Apollo 11) revealed during an online question and answer session, this startling admission...

All the engineers and everybody else at NASA in Houston were working hard at recovering the moonshot, and they were in real trouble, weren’t sure they could get it back. They got a phone call from a grad student at MIT who said he knew how to get them back. They put engineers on it, tested it out, by God it worked. Slingshotting them around the moon. They successfully did. They wanted to present the grad student to the President and the public, but they found him and he was a real hippy type — long hair and facial hair. NASA was straight-laced, and this was different than they expected, so they withdrew the invitation to the student. I think that is a disgrace.

History recounts the decision to slingshot around the moon as one that was weighed against what’s known as a “direct abort”. That is, burning every last drop of fuel in the craft to put it into an about face and return it to Earth. Flight Director Gene Kranz reportedly made the decision to slingshot around the moon in a bid to get the astronauts home. No grad student has yet been mentioned in the pages of history.

Now here's one for the record.... many MANY "I used to work for NASA... and now I write books about UFOs" types claim to be intimately acquainted with the events surrounding the Apollo missions... yet not one of them ever mentioned any 'quirky' situation regarding something as telling as "NASA PR lies for social engineering purposes" that I have read. In fact, the only mission-related people who may not have had a clue about this would have been the crew.

Yet movie after movie, book after book, and not one mention of the "Hippie" that saved Apollo 13.

I find that most revealing... I hope the former MIT student can be found and recognized.... if only to provide us the opportunity to follow up with a question for NASA.... "What else did you think we didn't need to know?"

edit on 9-8-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Amazing isnt it? This kind of stuff always makes me wonder how we get along at all and what kind of cajones it takes for folks like astronauts to jump in head first. Im a quite sure the astronauts knew the risks.. they were not ignorant men. We have a pretty high opinion of ourselves and sometimes forget we arent the masters of the universe.. we're basically still shooting arrows at the moon.. and its scary.

On topic more..
Id LOVE to have that MIT hippy on here for llike a Q&A or on the radio show. If he has thick skin anyway with the rudeness I saw with other guests. I betcha ATS could land an interview. HINT HINT!!!

Oh and thanks for sharing.. Id NEVER heard this and I have a pet hobby involving NASA and stuff.
I cant wait to share this information with a few folks I speak with.
edit on 9-8-2012 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

As of now the identity of the man who came up with the 'slingshot around the moon" plan remains locked away in the NASA archives... No doubt some Redditors have a FOIA request on the burner already... if not they need to get cracking!

As for an ATS Live interview... that sounds like an excellent idea... I would appreciate anyone keeping their eyes and ears open for the identity of this unsung hero. I would love to hear his side of the story... unless of course he was 'contractually obliged' to remain silent about it....

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Great Op maxmars, i hope someone finds the hippy dude. Im recounting the plot of the film apollo 13, wouldnt it be amusing to find out that in real life it wasnt the tech boys who figured out how to fix the scrubbers by making a square fit a circlular hole, but the cleaning lady and canteen staff.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
He also tells this story:

When they got to the moon, Armstrong was the first one on the moon, and Aldrin passed the camera down to Armstrong. When we got pictures back at 4 o’clock in the morning, everybody wanted them for the newspapers and magazines. I had a whole photographic lab standing by to prepare the stuff for issuance. Problem was, I didn’t know who was who because everybody looked the same in the space suits. But I figured Aldrin passed the camera to Armstrong, so the famous picture of the astronaut by the flag, I figured had to be Aldrin. So that’s who I said it was. When Aldrin came back, he told me no, first thing Armstrong did was pass the camera back to me. So that is Armstrong by the flag, not Aldrin. We sent out corrections to everyone, of course, and some people printed the corrections, but most people and newspapers still think it’s Aldrin. I suggested that after that they have some distinguishing marks, so since then the mission commander has a stripe on his sleeve. But I always feel like that was my contribution to screwing up history.

www.gizmodo.com.au...

I'm not sure how far one can trust his memory. There were certainly students at MIT involved in developing the computer programs who would not look out of place at a Grateful Dead concert.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I have to admit, the idea of failing memory did cross my mind. Perhaps someone could maintain that he is senile or something... heck, they already say that about half the astronauts that we have had... especially when they say things the establishment disapproves of.

But I am still inclined to think that the tale is verifiable... and the Hippie is probably a straight-laced establishment type now so, aside from some administrative egg-on their face, NASA stands little to lose from just admitting that in those days, this is how they worked... the establishment really didn't ever want to glorify those who were socially rebellious enough to sport long hair and beards... no mater how smart they were... and the DOD had strong controls on NASA then... before NASA became a clearing-house for proprietary tech development.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I had a particular individual in mind who still sports a magnificent beard. However, after reviewing a synchronized TV/16mm replay of the Apollo 11 EVA, I am quite positive that the astronaut in the photograph is indeed Aldrin:

vimeo.com...

This throws the rest of the story into serious doubt.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Thanks for the link. As soon as I can actually see it I will comment further!

Do you think if one aspect of the story is wrong the other is too?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Thanks for the link. As soon as I can actually see it I will comment further!

Do you think if one aspect of the story is wrong the other is too?

To be blunt, I think it is a hoax of the "Deathbed Confession" type. This one has gained credibility because it wisely eschews aliens and backlot special effects in favor of more subtle-- and credible-- allegations. NASA has always been PR savvy, and has covered up incidents that it feels reflect badly on its clean cut all American image.

The first lunar missions all employed a free return trajectory that would loop the spacecraft around the Moon and return it to the Earth unless a burn was used to put it into lunar orbit. The later missions used a hybrid trajectory. It would not have taken Mission Control very long to realize that they could modify the trajectory into a full free return one. The crucial factor would be whether the life support systems would last for the entire trip. Once they hit upon the LM lifeboat concept, it was a no brainer.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I had a chance to review the link above (synchronized still photos along side video of flag setting on the Moon.)

I must be dense or something because this did not lead me to the same conclusion expressed that the "story is suspect."

If someone can walk me through why this video is supposed to de-ligitimize the claims of the former NASA executive in the OP, I would appreciate it.

Apparently it all revolves around the second snippet offered by the source in which the former NASA official tells a story about initial confusion about which astronaut was taking a picture of which when they first left the lander. But this video is not necessarily of that moment... and we already know that there were a number of sequences for the activities outside the lander... so please amplify the contention... just so we can be sure that the ostensible "obvious" solution the NASA engineers had to have come up with on their own as they have maintained.
edit on 10-8-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Apparently it all revolves around the second snippet offered by the source in which the former NASA official tells a story about initial confusion about which astronaut was taking a picture of which when they first left the lander. But this video is not necessarily of that moment... and we already know that there were a number of sequences for the activities outside the lander... so please amplify the contention... just so we can be sure that the ostensible "obvious" solution the NASA engineers had to have come up with on their own as they have maintained.

Keep your eye on the astronaut who salutes the flag on the 16mm DAC footage. He is the one who returns reporting on his mobility. It is Buzz, based on the audio.

new topics

top topics

join