It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest Egyptian Military Deployment Since Last Israeli-Arab War

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Residents of El Arish in northern Sinai reported Thursday that the Egyptian military has sent reinforcements of "unprecedented" size into the peninsula, according to the Egyptian Al Ahram newspaper. The forces reportedly include 60 tanks on 30 tank-transporters, 12 armored personnel carriers, 15 additional armored vehicles, more than 20 armored jeeps and 10 Military Police jeeps.

www.israelnationalnews.com...

I understand protecting your borders, but a massive military envoy will only agitate matters IMO.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
And yesterday we had the Turkish encursion into Syria.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

"And the hits just keep on comin"!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Everyone is moving their chess pieces into place for the big game...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Any one here on ATS know of anyone in the US Infantry Bn that is part of the peace keeping force patrolling the Sinai? It would be interesting to hear what they are doing right now.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Looks to me like the Arabs are lining up for a repeat of the 6-day war...with air support from Iran to add that special something very much missing every time they've tried before.

No one honestly thought the Muslim Brotherhood was going to take Egypt and then contently sit aside Israel and make nice nice did they? These guys have been talking about the obliteration of Israel as something to make Holiday's for and live to accomplish since the start.

I looked over the different wars Israel has fought against so many at once. There are several... I really think the 6 Day War is the most comparable for what is about to happen here.

Iran will rain missiles on them like a cloudburst in Texas, while the ground forces have what they'd surely call a 'fair' chance this time around.

It's all a nightmare, but as the twists and turns develop and change things, thats my latest take. Always to the sane end result though...however they get there. They're gonna have their war this time.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by moderateAmerican

That battalion rotates every 6 months. From the 70's to the early 90's it was usually an Airborne Battalion, but since then I think it is usually a National Guard rotation now. Here are some links

www.mfo.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

I don't know what kind of tanks they sent to the border, but the Egyptians have over 1000 M-1s, and are licensed to produce them. They also still use several 100 M-60s. So most of their armor isn't old Soviet cast offs. They are the largest Arab army and are probably the best trained and equipped.
edit on 9-8-2012 by SrWingCommander because: add links.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Looks to me like the Arabs are lining up for a repeat of the 6-day war...with air support from Iran to add that special something very much missing every time they've tried before.

No one honestly thought the Muslim Brotherhood was going to take Egypt and then contently sit aside Israel and make nice nice did they? These guys have been talking about the obliteration of Israel as something to make Holiday's for and live to accomplish since the start.

I looked over the different wars Israel has fought against so many at once. There are several... I really think the 6 Day War is the most comparable for what is about to happen here.

Iran will rain missiles on them like a cloudburst in Texas, while the ground forces have what they'd surely call a 'fair' chance this time around.

It's all a nightmare, but as the twists and turns develop and change things, thats my latest take. Always to the sane end result though...however they get there. They're gonna have their war this time.

Quite possibly, and Israel will probably send them running again......especially if this time it is Ezekiel 38/39....but that's a whole other thread.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I would have to agree with you. Its seems more and more like that border attack was a false flag set up be Egypt to make the massing of troops in the sinai look like a defensive move.

The middle East scenario is just getting more and more complicated by the day...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CalibratedZeus

I would have to agree with you. Its seems more and more like that border attack was a false flag set up be Egypt to make the massing of troops in the sinai look like a defensive move.

The middle East scenario is just getting more and more complicated by the day...

Other than those areas aren't all that close.....it would be wierd on several levels for the Turks to be "covering" for the Egyptians.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

Ya i have to agree this conflict slowly engulfing the ME has to be one of the most difficult to understand and weirdest i've known..
i expect a strike on/within Israel over the next month :/
edit on 9-8-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SrWingCommander
They are the largest Arab army and are probably the best trained and equipped.

While it has been some time since I saw the Egyptians in action I would hardly call them well trained. They are horrible Soldiers IMO. They are draftees and the Officers are all corrupt - stealing from their own unit's funds etc.

I think the Israelis (with whom I have also trained) would eat them up by the thousands. I would say an Israeli reserve tank company could easily defeat an Egyptian Battalion in a tank battle without heavy casualties.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

Actually... Not really. This takes a sec to explain but it all comes back and slams to the topic of the thread like a thunderclap.

Why would it be surprising for the Turks to back the Egyptians when Israel might be whats in the middle? The Turks have been sore at Israel since the ship boarding incident and the UN clearing Israel of wrongdoing was hardly helpful. The vast energy fields now known to sit between Israel, Syria, Turkey and Cyprus are adding a whole new UGLY dimension to this whole thing that wasn't there until a few years ago... but when Turkey comes up, this is what comes to my mind the MOST.

The latest move by Turkey involves replacing the IFF radar on its F-16 jets that identifies other jets as friend or foe. The IFF radar will not allow a pilot to shoot at a friendly jet without manually overriding the restrictions, something that is very inconvenient and time consuming. Currently, Turkish jets have radars that meet US and NATO specifications that mark Israeli planes as friendly rather than foe. In the wake of the Israel-Turkey dispute, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has decided to overhaul his air force’s planes to be in line with his new policies.
Source

Now, if a smaller U.S. Client state were to do this, it would be a real annoying hack job and I'm sure we'd do something like stop selling them more planes. It's kinda uncool to crack the IFF system to shoot down a nation the IFF system was hard coded to include. The problem is...Well.. Turkey is absolutely no mere 'client state'.

TAI, which was established for co-production of F-16 aircraft for the Turkish Air Force in 1984, is one of the major aerospace companies in the world at F-16 manufacturing and modernization, with its experience, capabilities and manpower capacity. After manufacturing and delivering a total of 272 F-16s, TAI, which has successfully completed avionics and structural modernization of F-16s of the Royal Jordanian Air Force, currently modernizes 175 F-16s of the Turkish Air Force. With this experience and accumulated know how, TAI is ready to meet the modernization requirements of all countries with F-16s in their inventories.
Source

It's a real fair thing to say in hindsight, we need to be a little more careful about outsourcing SOME things. It would be funny, if not so outright dangerous in how it's all worked out. Of course, Turkey is clear in saying this is a modification meant only for it's own F-16 planes and retro-fits. Hmm.. Retrofitting... Yeah.. That's a real wrinkle in the napkin. You see, Turkey is quite the exporter of the F-16 fighters. In fact.....

Egyptian Airforce F-16's and U.S. Program name for aid they came from.

(Source)

More than a few of Egypt's F-16's came from the F-16 production lines in Turkey. So are Pakistani F-16s (One of the links above started in a story about Pakistani F-16's from TAI) ..and.. Well, let's just hope that retrofit isn't something they could make a kit and drop in Fed-ex to neighborhood friends. That would really make for a mess, wouldn't it?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Rest easy folks.

It is not as some presumed, or hoping to instigate it as what it seems to presume - Egypt against Israel.

Those 2 countries are honorable nations, open and transparent. They have to be. They have a peace agreement signed and acknowledged by the Egyptian Military for decades, with none breaking them. With the peace treaty, both sides had agreed to live in peace at least, if not in harmony.

What's happening is the final awakening to the Sunni Egyptians on the machinations of the Persian apostate leader, hell bent on destabizing the M.E for his own survival, by funding simple minded sunni militants to create havoc on the border, to lead to Egypt and Israel, both children of the book, to annihilate themselves in a long and protracted war.

Egyptians and Israelis are not fools. They too know how to play chess. More so the military. They agreed to what NEED's to be done, even if militarisation needs to be increased to high levels. Honor and trust, built up over years, is there.

It's clean up time, to get rid of persian proxies on pure Egyptian land. Enough......is enough. None enjoys decades of being fooled, and shed tears over loved ones butchered by those persian proxies.....
edit on 9-8-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66

They are the largest Arab army and are probably the best trained and equipped.

While it has been some time since I saw the Egyptians in action I would hardly call them well trained. They are horrible Soldiers IMO. They are draftees and the Officers are all corrupt - stealing from their own unit's funds etc.

I think the Israelis (with whom I have also trained) would eat them up by the thousands. I would say an Israeli reserve tank company could easily defeat an Egyptian Battalion in a tank battle without heavy casualties.

I meant best trained by Arab Standards...no Isreali or US.

If the Egyptians are like the Saudi's, (I've heard they like to drive there M-1s around and shoot them, but they aren't o much on maintenence....kind of think the tank is a horse and they charge like it was the 1100s)....then I wouldn't be too worried.

I agree about the reserve IDF tank companies...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

That's interesting about the IFF issue. I was unaware of that....have to tuck that tidbit away.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Since the revolution, Egyptian police/army have confiscated arms and ammunition that were either headed into or out of the desert, including rocket launchers.

Since the revolution, there has been an influx of immigrants from war torn neighbors, specifically Libya and, now, Syria. These aren't happy vacationers who came to see the Nile and the Pyramids.

The desert has to be cleaned up, and President Morsi knows it. There was an agreement with Israel in 2011 to increase Egypt's military presence in the Sinai; Egypt is now increasing its presence.

Do I think this is a build up to a conflict with Israel? Nope. Not at all.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
BREAKING ON YAHOO:

AL-ARISH, Egypt (Reuters) - Gunman fired shots towards a police station in the main administrative centre of Egypt's North Sinai on Thursday, underscoring lawlessness in the desert region bordering Israel as a Egyptian military offensive there entered its second day.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

You're right. Egypt is an honorable nation with a VERY long and proud history. I also respect the Egyptian people as honorable as much as any group in the world.

Egypt isn't entirely run by Egyptians anymore and I don't trust Morsi and what he represents any further than I can throw him. The Egyptian Military seems to be holding the line so far....and good. I DO trust them, as they are being lead right now. Same people and Generals who have been a part of the peace status agreements and carrying it all out for years.

If the leadership on the civilian side crowds out or just removes the Generals keeping things as they've always been and stable..(under the circumstances) then I think at all changes and THAT could happen in a single evening. Everything is too fluid and too many levels within everything happening. I'm stopped guessing the precise how and when.... lol

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by inalandfaraway

The desert has to be cleaned up, and President Morsi knows it. There was an agreement with Israel in 2011 to increase Egypt's military presence in the Sinai; Egypt is now increasing its presence.
I think that may be right.

The security cabinet on Thursday approved a request from Defense Minister Ehud Barak to allow Egypt to deploy attack helicopters in Sinai.
Jerusalem Post
The story goes on to mention what I think is probably that same agreement.

edit on 9-8-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CalibratedZeus

Other than those areas aren't all that close.....it would be wierd on several levels for the Turks to be "covering" for the Egyptians.

What do the Turks have anything to do with my comment?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join