It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could we have a "View This Later" tag?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I don't know about the rest of you ATSers, but I sometimes get frustrated when I log on and scan through new threads to see what may be interesting to read, just to lose track of them as soon as I make my first choice. Once I pick a thread as my first choice, going back to find the others I was interested in becomes a whole new hunting expedition as the forum pages are constantly updated.

Under the current format, the only method I know of to tag threads, is to insert a post in them so that they are easily retrieved in the "myATS" menu option. Even this method sucks, because as soon as you select the first thread to tag with a post, you still have to go hunting among the updated forums to find the others you were originally interested in. Furthermore, it would seem that the current format would only lead to the use of more "one liners" just to tag threads for later reading.

So my question to the board is; "Could we have a "View This Later" tag option for easy retrieval of interesting threads?"

For Instance, when I go to YouTube I can scan through videos and tag those that I'm interested in viewing as "Watch Later," which makes my experience there more enjoyable because finding the subject mater I'm interested in becomes much, much easier.

I don't know how difficult it would be to incorporate this option here on ATS, but if you could, "that would be great," Thanks.

Edit to add; I'm not talking about a tool that would save the tagged threads forever, the myATS feature already does that. I'm talking about a tool that would only tag threads for later viewing during that session, or until you logged out.
edit on 9-8-2012 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Isnt that what the little subscribe button is for?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I don't think that the "subscribe" option even appears until after you have selected a thread to participate in. I'm talking about a "View This Later" tag that would appear along side each thread prior to selection.

For Instance, if you are scanning the "Recent Post" board for interesting threads and you find several that spark your interest, it would be nice to tag them before picking one to start with and losing track of the others.

Is that option available and I just don't know about it?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

You could just do what I do. Scroll down the list of topics and when you see one that interests you open it in a new tab. Then continue going down the list until you reach the bottom opening each interesting topic in a new tab.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I don't think that option is available. I don't know about it, anyway.

When I want to come back to a thread, I just click once to open the thread, hit the subscribe button, then hit the back button and carry on. That puts it in myATS page and makes it easy to find and keep up with.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I'm not sure I understand how you open them under "a new tab." Could you explain more?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I think the only way is the way Benevolent Heretic describes. I sort of like your idea but feel like recent posts is already a bit cluttered. I dont intentionally subscribe threads because Im lazy but I think easy way is hit middle mouse button to open new thread in new tab, hit subscribe, close tab and repeat. I personally just leave a bunch of tabs open what with the short attention span.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I do that too, but as soon as I select the first thread to post in, I lose track of the others, unless I have written down a list of the other thread titles prior to choosing the first one to participate in.

What I'm talking about here is having the ability to tag several threads for later reading before I choose which one I will read first, thus avoiding having to go back and relocate the others I was originally interested in viewing.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I'm not sure what browser you're using but I think all make use of tabs at this point. What you do is right click on the link and you should see an option that says something like "Open in a new tab." Click on that and you'll see a tab open at the top of your browser. That will be the thread you wanted to open. You can then continue going down the list of threads opening the interesting ones with this method. Then when you're done going through the list just click on one of the tabs and it will bring you to that thread.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

If you have a scroll wheel on your mouse click it on the thread link, it should open a new tab. Another webpage in the same web page. Your scroll wheel when pushed straight down should act as third mouse button. Tabs are really helpful for qouting and replies.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish
reply to post by Domo1

I don't think that the "subscribe" option even appears until after you have selected a thread to participate in. I'm talking about a "View This Later" tag that would appear along side each thread prior to selection.

For Instance, if you are scanning the "Recent Post" board for interesting threads and you find several that spark your interest, it would be nice to tag them before picking one to start with and losing track of the others.

Is that option available and I just don't know about it?

Under the little box at the top left of a thread where you FLAG a thread, there is a "suscribe" and "alert" button. Click on the "suscribe" and then you cand find the threads in your MYATS.

As for your request....that is up to the Overlord himself, as he created/codes the site

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Apparently, it's not the browser so much as the computer. I use an IMac and thanks to the advice of yourself and others in this thread, I just learned how to right-click and create tabs with it.

Just in case there are any other confused IMac users out there, you have to press and hold the "control" button on your keyboard while clicking your mouse, (which equals a right-click on our buttonless mice) in order to access the tab feature.

I'm sure this will greatly enhance my ATS experience.

Thanks to all.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Just curious...

Has Apple added a right mouse click function yet? [Could also be used to open a new tab] Haven't used a Mac/Apple [Whatever] in about 12 years.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I think newer models allow you to right click. I had an early generation MacBook and couldn't do it on that but I think everything released since then has had the function.

new topics

top topics

join