It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man in Jail for Collecting Rain Water in Oregon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

isnt oregon one of the states with the highest rainfall i know they say it rains alot in the pacific north west . why would they need such a law

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oannes
We are human beings. Why do we let faceless criminal organizations tell us what to do?

Because we are human beings, and most of us would rather talk about it and complain about it and suck it up hoping someone else actually acts and makes our selfish little worlds more perfect.

Originally posted by ararisq
I appreciate the thread, but this story is several weeks old at least and I'm sure I've seen it discussed on ATS.

Sorry, don't mean to interfere with your perfect world oh master, but I for one am glad to be able to read this story. Why did you even bother to post a reply to something you aren't interested in?

And where is the link to the ATS discussion you mention? I think you are being ignorant.

Originally posted by proteus33
isnt oregon one of the states with the highest rainfall i know they say it rains alot in the pacific north west . why would they need such a law

It might be the case that they have high rainfall but they may also have a highly porous terrain so don't actually benefit from an excess as much as we think. Could be the reason for stricter laws.

Most towns would have started by a river and over time, properties grow outwards and upwards. Those people with power and interest in some of the older more established lowlands might have seen a fall in available water sources and used their power to pass laws that aid them. (see top quote by "Oannes").

Under Oregon law, all water is publicly owned. With some exceptions, cities, farmers, factory owners and other users must obtain a permit or water right from the Water Resources Department to use water from any source— whether it is underground, or from lakes or streams. Landowners with water flowing past, through, or under their property do not automatically have the right to use that water without a permit from the Department.

SOURCE - Oregon Water Department - Water Rights.

Alternative and Related Articles on "Natural News.com"

At the end of the day, this won't get any better for the average joe because the average joe doesn't care until it affects them.

I have a 20 metre well and a 20,000 liter cistern for rainwater and it's mine. I'm also very glad I don't live in Oregon.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Why does this guy want three ponds on his place, that is what I want to know.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
My dad used to shoot beavers for diverting the streams and tear the dams down... that guys lucky my dad wasnt around.
The flow of water is important and one shouldnt tamper with it. HOWEVER you can be fined for collecting rainwater in collection devices or barrels in many states.. google it. This I find absurd. I do it anyway.
You forget one thing.. there is NO such thing as ownership of property in the US anymore.. you are merely a tenant and the govt owns "your" property. Check your mortgage paperwork and wording out. We had a long long discussion on this a while back.. so few people know this its incredible.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Why does this guy want three ponds on his place, that is what I want to know.

A fishing dock lined with rods and rod holders is tethered to shore near an outdoor barbecue. Boats line the bank. A fish feeder floats nearby, dispensing food to the illegally stocked largemouth bass Harrington says he bought from a Medford pet store.

I still maintain that the Oregon Water dept would have granted his permit back in 2003 if he would have just invited some of them 'round for some fishing and a nice BBQ.

Ya know, you catch more flies with honey...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

He lives in Southern OR, close to the CA border. The closest city, Medford, gets about 18 inches of precip annually, about the same as Sacarmento, CA

Portland, by comparison, averages around 37 inches.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The local or state can also limit the water you use during the drought too. So it is not just collecting it they can regulate.

This guy doesn't just have a yard, he is draining 170 acres. That is a lot of water to remove from the environment. Trees and a lot of plants need that surface water to survive, so he is risking changing the ecology of his land and the lands around him.

The interpretation of the law isn't correct. The state does not own the water, the state is the custodian, all the water belongs to the public, and the state makes sure that it is distributed equally.

in western states, you will see more of this where water is more scarce. And now that the state is in a moderate drought, you will definetly see more of it.

If everyone starts harvesting rain water, then the groundwater will not be replenished and the city will suffer.

If there was a severe water shortage, and the locals are limited to 50 gallons a day rations, would you side with this guy?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

The detail in that photo shows foot paths and what looks to be dirt bike paths, I think even a dried up stream bed would be visible. I can't even see where he has done any digging or building a dam to divert water.

To the person wanting to know why he has three ponds on his property, how about because it is HIS property?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

And the water belongs to the public. Why does he feel the need to harvest the public's water?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

I can't even see where he has done any digging or building a dam to divert water.

This area looks like a water diversion thingy of some sort...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join