It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perseid meteor shower this weekend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

The annual Perseid meteor shower is this weekend. You can expect to see up to one meteor each minute streaking across the sky. Meteors are tiny fragments of minerals that burn up upon hitting our atmosphere. Some Meteorites can be comprised up of minerals rich in silicon and oxygen. Other meteorites consist mainly of iron and nickel, while some are combinations of all four elements. Most are surprisingly tiny about the size of a grain of rice. They burn up in our atmosphere 30-60 miles above the surface of the earth. If a meteor does make it all the way to the ground, we call it a meteorite. If you are interested in gardening, science or weather check out my Twitter feed at
@growingwisdom.

i plan on watching, and pictures if they turn out good. i'd love to see other pictures posted if anyone else watches/takes pictures.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Dizrael

I will be watching and taking photos from my new mount on my telescope! Hope this is a remarkable one this year!

I took this shoot 2 years ago on pure luck!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Thank the Gods I sacrificed that she-goat in time else it would have been cloudy this weekend.
Always assumed it was the leonids...Easy mistake to make I suppose.
edit on 9-8-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Dizrael

Cool! Thanks for posting this. I'm going camping this weekend, so will be on the lookout for 'em. Didn't hear about it b4 your post - so appreciate it. Hope you see some good ones!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This is by far my favorite shower of the year, as I can usually catch quote a few of them, and the weather is nice enough to lay out in the backyard into the wee hours of the night.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Nice, definately gonna watch, hopefully no clouds.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
It's gonna be touch and go here with cloud cover tonight. Fingers crossed anyway, Sunday night looking out of the question.

Make a wish on a falling star ..and again...and again

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
reply to post by Dizrael

I will be watching and taking photos from my new mount on my telescope! Hope this is a remarkable one this year!

I took this shoot 2 years ago on pure luck!

Ah the big Ursa Major
my favorite constellation that look like a frying pan for fries

beautiful picture with a meteorite beside it

In the movie Battle Los Angeles
the alien arrive the same way on august 12 2011
on the West coast directly pounding the water near the beach

Since the movie has illuminati all over it
it is maybe trying to tell us something for this weekend (12 august 2012)
edit on 8/10/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Thanks OP, I've been watching them the past couple nights from my pool...nice. I believe the peak is tonite and tomorrow nite...Saw a great red fireball 2 nights ago, saw quite a few on my way to work this morning, in just 10 minutes, with a whole lotta light pollution, pretty cool. I plan on being in the pool tonite seeing as how it will probably be in the 90's here till 4 am.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Official Zarniwoop count:

Saturday night: 42 shooters over a couple hours (not bad!)

Sunday night: only 9, but 7 of them much, much brighter and longer than any on Saturday.

no fireballs

Also seen: 3 ISS fly-overs and an Iridium flare

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Didn't see anything, was too busy drinking warm hobgoblin and doing the Gothic two step / Invocation of the Elder Gods at Darklands to notice. I did see a girl with a ginormous corset hoisted rack under her chin though which more than made up for it.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
Didn't see anything, was too busy drinking warm hobgoblin and doing the Gothic two step / Invocation of the Elder Gods at Darklands to notice. I did see a girl with a ginormous corset hoisted rack under her chin though which more than made up for it.

pics of the courset chick?

i didnt see much through the clouds... any get pics of of the shower?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Dizrael

We were clouded out on the peak night here too, but we did manage to get a few Perseid images which I have posted here.

top topics

join