It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disinformation - How it Works, How to stop it, and Why it is bad for society and the world

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Good article, almost felt like it could be used as a tool for novice disinformation people to sharpen there skills.

One thing I will say about my time here at ATS is that I will say I am learning to analyse the content, the motivation and the sincerity of the shared information. I have come to believe people are quite naive about the messages put forth. I have, to a lovely degree, lost my gullibility and it kills me to see people racing to agree with the OP (stars and flags) when the of side of an issue is nowhere in sight.

It is a horrible reflection on our society that spreading lies (disinformation) is so prevalent.

I hope that everyone here takes time to clarify your values. Sort out right from wrong on your own - that requires using your head and your heart. Do not let society tell you what you should believe. People are spoonfed their values and accept the word of their educators, friends, the medias, even their parents as truth. Sorting truth from fiction takes discernment. Discernment can only come with reflection.

I once had a guy tell me that I was too "wishy washy" because I would always attempt to look and both sides of an issue before drawing a conclusion. Actually, I think he really meant is: "I want someone to put down others with me." I think he did me a favor in the long run. I worked to develop my own point-of-view and took a stand where I felt it mattered.

Please think for yourself, be unique, constantly challenge yourself to be the best you can. The reason this article is important lies in the last line.

Without a concerted and organized effort to diffuse mass-produced lies, the future will look bleak indeed.

This whirlpool of lies is only going one way.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

This topic could have a whole forum devoted to it! As for me, I'm tempted to tell my son's new Senior Kindergarten teacher next week that I don't want him coloring in any pictures between the lines - and that I have instructed him to flip such work over and free draw on the reverse blank side.

Just try and get the school to let you review the books that are read to the students...or take a peek at the books the kids are not permitted to bring home.... then you will learn that you have no right to know what is being taught to your child. I remember when my son got detention for refuting a lesson...the issue was about a path kids used to get to school, a shortcut through someone's yard instead of walking around. The lesson was teaching that the owner of the land did not have the right to put up a fence to prevent the kids from using the path they had made. My son remarked that it wasn't right for the court system to prevent the owner sole use of his own property. Apparently, in our new global community no one will have any property rights either *shrugs. They do not teach why we have property rights, they twist is as greed and any other opinions are not tolerated.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Some disinformation experts on ATS could probably add their own tricks to this list, after many years of experience of doing it successfully here. Ive seen them easily turn entire threads away from a sensitive subject.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   

As to the question of your first sentence, some posters cannot help themselves from commenting on the poster instead of the topic

So is this thread not about disinfo?

I posted those links to those threads to show exactly how disinfo was being done, and you just happen to be the author of said threads.

Maybe you should have thought and researched a little better and your threads may not have been used in this thread. It is nothing personal so don't think it is. Just an example of disinformation.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldSchoolMom

Just try and get the school to let you review the books that are read to the students...or take a peek at the books the kids are not permitted to bring home.... then you will learn that you have no right to know what is being taught to your child. I remember when my son got detention for refuting a lesson...the issue was about a path kids used to get to school, a shortcut through someone's yard instead of walking around. The lesson was teaching that the owner of the land did not have the right to put up a fence to prevent the kids from using the path they had made. My son remarked that it wasn't right for the court system to prevent the owner sole use of his own property. Apparently, in our new global community no one will have any property rights either *shrugs. They do not teach why we have property rights, they twist is as greed and any other opinions are not tolerated.

That is quite scary that schools don't want us to learn what our children are being taught - I will definitely be checking in on my son and his class this year.

I'm so glad to hear you have educated your son and he has awareness of our Constitutional Rights and the logic to apply it to abrogations of those rights. YOU should be a teacher!

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h

As to the question of your first sentence, some posters cannot help themselves from commenting on the poster instead of the topic

So is this thread not about disinfo?

I posted those links to those threads to show exactly how disinfo was being done, and you just happen to be the author of said threads.

Maybe you should have thought and researched a little better and your threads may not have been used in this thread. It is nothing personal so don't think it is. Just an example of disinformation.

Wow, a chemtrail "debunker" on a thread about disinformation, what a shocker.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Do I sense some hypocrisy here? Let me remind you of your own words:

...some posters cannot help themselves from commenting on the poster instead of the topic

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Wow, a chemtrail "debunker" on a thread about disinformation, what a shocker.

You might want to check out this video. I hear there's good information in here about good optics for rifles and such. Could help with your shootin' yourself in the foot problem.

Also feel free to answer the questions you attempted to evade with your remark.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I'm so glad to hear you have educated your son and he has awareness of our Constitutional Rights and the logic to apply it to abrogations of those rights. YOU should be a teacher!

Ha.. I was a teacher until Goals 2000 was implemented (back in the 80's..yes, it was implemented before it actually passed into law). See, back then there was a split....some of us didn't agree and refused to pry into the children's family life (that was just one of the early projects). Others did everything they were told and turned a blind eye to what was right and wrong. *shrugs

Guess what kind of "teachers" teach today?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE

Originally posted by InhaleExhale

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE
reply to post by InhaleExhale

Control of information, truths, secrets, disinformation and coverups are one of the main priorities of any intelligence organization, and certainly the case for any hidden global cabal. I would have thought this would be self-evident.

Its self evident when you have no stable ground to stand on, Its self evident when allowing the mind to swim the seas of paranoia.

What is self evident is that the main priorities of any Intelligence agency is to gather intelligence not to control information, how do you control a persons experiences and the passing on of that knowledge learned from said experience. I can understand if you mean digital information is being controlled, however its being controlled for the simple purpose of mind manipulation which is the same reason it was released for public consumption, to overflow the amount info and thanks to intelligence gathering we learned over the generations that humans follow a heard mentality, which leads us to the most fearful ideas being broadcast the loudest to put the heard in a fearful state of mind to be able to move them in line to the slaughter house or where ever else they are required to go.

Are you referring to Planet X when you talk about a herd mentality? That is interesting because up until about a year ago I had never heard about Planet X/Nibiru etc even though I had heard about vague 2012 doom theories for about a decade. Also, I know if I went up to many people on the street and asked them about Planet X or Nibiru, about 1%-2% would have any idea what I'm talking about. I have never heard Planet X or Nibiru ever mentioned once on MSM.

So when it comes to topics like Planet X, or mouthpieces like John Moore, if they are part of some "agenda" in which the most fearful ideas are broadcast the loudest, they are failing miserably in terms of reaching a wider audience.

It would seem to me your theory would apply obviously to ridiculous stories in the MSM like cannibal-zombie stories, or on faux alternative sites that push BS like mass banker arrests or London Olympic false flags.

Also, if you actually knew anything about intelligence agencies you would know that control of information is a main priority in addition to intelligence gathering, the latter is the one the public only hears about.

Stop it, just stop it. Your imagination is to infantile to even begin to speculate on what you think I know and How can the main priority be control if nothing has been gathered to control? Do you see and really understand some of things you've written on this web site and how you have exposed yourself?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join