It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disinformation - How it Works, How to stop it, and Why it is bad for society and the world

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I found this thought provoking article on Zero Hedge. It was apparently submitted to Zero Hedge by Brandon Smith of Alt-Market - who if you are not aware of has produced some interesting work.

I know there was a great thread recently similar to this topic, but it seemed more about identifying disinformation, while this article also identifies disinformation tactics, it also identifies way to counteract disinformation, as well as why it is toxic to society and the world.

So let's keep this clean people, no accusations, insinuations. I would really like to explore the idea that disinformation is toxic to the world, and holding back worthy goals such as peace, unity, and our growth as human beings.

Here is the intro to the article written by Zero-Hedge:

The best way to disarm disinformation agents is to know their methods inside and out. This gives us the ability to point out exactly what they are doing in detail the moment they try to do it. Immediately exposing a disinformation tactic as it is being used is highly destructive to the person utilizing it. It makes them look foolish, dishonest and weak for even making the attempt. Internet trolls most especially do not know how to handle their methods being deconstructed right in front of their eyes and usually fold and run from debate when it occurs.

The truth is precious. It is sad that there are so many in our society who have lost respect for it; people who have traded in their conscience and their soul for temporary financial comfort while sacrificing the stability and balance of the rest of the country in the process. Disinformation does not only threaten our insight into the workings of our world; it makes us vulnerable to fear, misunderstanding, and doubt: all things that lead to destruction. It can drive good people to commit terrible atrocities against others, or even against themselves. Without a concerted and organized effort to diffuse mass-produced lies, the future will look bleak indeed.

Here is the link to the story:

Zero Hedge: Disinformation - how it works

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Th same could be said for the people who try and convince you that aliens were gonna land at the olympics and didn't because of "craft troubles" and those who claim to be X y or z posting on internet forums when in reality we all know they aren't..

My point is it goes both ways, if there is a known hoax, one that has been proven hoax over and over and over (like the Chemtrail forecast site where the guy even said it was an experiment to see how many people believed him) or the Nancy Lieders of the world, there is a moral responsibility to expose something like that before people get hurt (and so far people have gotten hurt)

So yeah, it's bad, but you have to include both sides of the coin if you're going to make this point... not just the one you WANT to hear..

Finally, just because you don't like the truth doesn't make it disinformation..

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
youtu.be...

Social Engineering , Manufacturing Consent and Perception Management.
I found this video HIGHLY informative . Please don't discount the message because of the voice. From what I understand the author of this video is being tormented by " spooks " . Agents of some kind. He speaks about this on his yahoo groups page and gives detailed accounts of such intrusion . ( " they " don't like what he has to say ).

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Vkey, I'm flattered that you feel my threads/posts are of such significance that you follow each and every one! I feel like a have a fan club of one!

Anyway, I'm glad a couple of people read this, not for the enhancement of my ego, though you may have come to that conclusion from my facetious sentence above.

I've come across another great article about the war on truth on the internet, if you did not realize it, it is a war, with many of the tactics used in any war.

There are many out there that intentionally supress the truth, some of you are now aware of the possible consequences of that.

At the very least, those that supress the truth knowingly are guilty of treason, for they serve, whether they know it or not, the PTB, the three to four hundred ancient families that rule the earth and who are the true powers behind the majority of the governments of the world. The civil servants who supress the truth or propagate lies, untruths or half-truths - are paid from the sweat of our taxes - and should be beholden to us, but in fact they wage war on us.

Here is another great article about the war for your mind and the truth on the internet; and tactics/strategies and goals that you may or may not be aware of:

Start a partisan divide-and-conquer fight or otherwise push emotional buttons to sew discord and ensure that cooperation is thwarted. Get people fighting against each other instead of the corrupt powers-that-be. Use baseless caricatures to rile everyone up. For example, start a religious war whenever possible using stereotypes like “all Jews are selfish”, “all Christians are crazy” or “all Muslims are terrorists”. Accuse the author of being a gay, pro-abortion limp-wristed wimp or being a fundamentalist pro-war hick when the discussion has nothing to do with abortion, sexuality, religion, war or region. Appeal to people’s basest prejudices and biases. And – as Sweeney explains – push the author into a defensive posture:

This one I see much of on ATS, people with strong egos are presented with threats to those egos, these kind of people fear what others think; these tactics don't work as well with someone like myself who constantly tries to minimize their ego - though my ego does sometimes assert itself - I'm not perfect - ego awareness is about 75% of the battle:

Sidetrack opponents with name calling and ridicule … Associate opponents with unpopular titles such as “kooks”, “right-wing”, “liberal”, “left-wing”, “terrorists”, “conspiracy buffs”, “radicals”, “militia”, “racists”, “religious fanatics”, “sexual deviates”, and so forth. This makes others shrink from support out of fear of gaining the same label, and you avoid dealing with issues.

Here is the article detailing other tactics to derail the truth and groups intent on discovering truths or debunking lies:

www.zerohedge.com...

And for those who would like to follow up on my previous comments on the globalists/PTB/Oligarchy etc, here is an excellent compendium of articles you'll be hard pressed to find in the PTB controlled mainstream search engines:

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

However, I predict many will come on here and trash this site - precisely because it is a threat to the PTB.

Enjoy and peace!

edit on 13-8-2012 by PlanetXisHERE because: grammar, syntax and context

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Disinformation can have less of an impact if everyone thoroughly researched a particular topic instead of relying on single source.

The internet allows us to probe vast quantities of sources, some scholarly, some blogs, some MSM, some independent news casts and with this you should be able to clear the fog that disinformation creates.

disinformation is intended to muddy up the water and make the pursuit of truth more difficult. I am afraid to say the majority of the population of western cultures are to lazy to put the leg work in.

Disinformation will gain effectiveness the more restrictions are placed on internet access and freedom of information., in which some threads have alluded to that this is already happening.

In the mean time, information is power. Deny ignorance.
edit on 13-8-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Disinformation can have less of an impact if everyone thoroughly researched a particular topic instead of relying on single source.

The internet allows us to probe vast quantities of sources, some scholarly, some blogs, some MSM, some independent news casts and with this you should be able to clear the fog that disinformation creates.

disinformation is intended to muddy up the water and make the pursuit of truth more difficult. I am afraid to say the majority of the population of western cultures are to lazy to put the leg work in.

Disinformation will gain effectiveness the more restrictions are placed on internet access and freedom of information., in which some threads have alluded to that this is already happening.

In the mean time, information is power. Deny ignorance.
edit on 13-8-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

Great points. My humble opinion is that powers that want to condition/brainwash us have created a society that constatly bombards our egos with situations, products to strengthen it. However, as some of you may know, the ego is always wanting and never satisfied with having - thus we work insane hours to pay our bills, mortgage, line of credit etc. And of course there are the distractions which also feed our ego's need to feel superior, gossip on facebook, websites like TMZ, reality shows which showcase some of the worst traits of humanity - all feed our ego's need to feel superior.

We are too distracted! Thus, for the important issues, we want soundbites and shortcuts and aren't really prepared to do the legwork as you have stated.

Everybody: Stop feeding your Egos! It will never be satisfied! Awareness of your ego's needs is half the battle!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE
reply to post by vkey08

Vkey, I'm flattered that you feel my threads/posts are of such significance that you follow each and every one! I feel like a have a fan club of one!

Anyway, I'm glad a couple of people read this, not for the enhancement of my ego, though you may have come to that conclusion from my facetious sentence above.

I've come across another great article about the war on truth on the internet, if you did not realize it, it is a war, with many of the tactics used in any war.

There are many out there that intentionally supress the truth, some of you are now aware of the possible consequences of that.

At the very least, those that supress the truth knowingly are guilty of treason, for they serve, whether they know it or not, the PTB, the three to four hundred ancient families that rule the earth and who are the true powers behind the majority of the governments of the world. The civil servants who supress the truth or propagate lies, untruths or half-truths - are paid from the sweat of our taxes - and should be beholden to us, but in fact they wage war on us.

Here is another great article about the war for your mind and the truth on the internet; and tactics/strategies and goals that you may or may not be aware of:

Start a partisan divide-and-conquer fight or otherwise push emotional buttons to sew discord and ensure that cooperation is thwarted. Get people fighting against each other instead of the corrupt powers-that-be. Use baseless caricatures to rile everyone up. For example, start a religious war whenever possible using stereotypes like “all Jews are selfish”, “all Christians are crazy” or “all Muslims are terrorists”. Accuse the author of being a gay, pro-abortion limp-wristed wimp or being a fundamentalist pro-war hick when the discussion has nothing to do with abortion, sexuality, religion, war or region. Appeal to people’s basest prejudices and biases. And – as Sweeney explains – push the author into a defensive posture:

This one I see much of on ATS, people with strong egos are presented with threats to those egos, these kind of people fear what others think; these tactics don't work as well with someone like myself who constantly tries to minimize their ego - though my ego does sometimes assert itself - I'm not perfect - ego awareness is about 75% of the battle:

Sidetrack opponents with name calling and ridicule … Associate opponents with unpopular titles such as “kooks”, “right-wing”, “liberal”, “left-wing”, “terrorists”, “conspiracy buffs”, “radicals”, “militia”, “racists”, “religious fanatics”, “sexual deviates”, and so forth. This makes others shrink from support out of fear of gaining the same label, and you avoid dealing with issues.

Here is the article detailing other tactics to derail the truth and groups intent on discovering truths or debunking lies:

www.zerohedge.com...

And for those who would like to follow up on my previous comments on the globalists/PTB/Oligarchy etc, here is an excellent compendium of articles you'll be hard pressed to find in the PTB controlled mainstream search engines:

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

However, I predict many will come on here and trash this site - precisely because it is a threat to the PTB.

Enjoy and peace!

edit on 13-8-2012 by PlanetXisHERE because: grammar, syntax and context

How can a web site be a threat to TPTB if they are really TPTB?

The internet was released for public use most likely around the same time governments or corporations had super computers available to them to track/monitor the distribution of info. STEP 1

Within 24 hours of internet browsing one can gather enough info that prior to the internet would have taken up to a few days to weeks even to months, this provides and overflow of info for the human to be able to handle/interpret responsibly.STEP 2

Start using fringe ideas in popular television and movies more frequently which in turn leads more to go searching for answers for questions people have never asked themselves before. Best and easy place being the net. Most searches of fringe type topics leads you to a conspiracy site. STEP 3

Allow people to deceive themselves and others by pushing personal truths as universal truths and/or use others deceptions to further your own truth/deceptions.

If one wishes for truth, it cannot be found on the internet as the web has something caught in it and it seems that the spider is coming to release its venom into whatever is caught or it already has. Society as a whole is sick and getting worse.

More truth can be found in a 5 minute walk than a whole lifetime of internet browsing

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by InhaleExhale

Control of information, truths, secrets, disinformation and coverups are one of the main priorities of any intelligence organization, and certainly the case for any hidden global cabal. I would have thought this would be self-evident.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Control of information, truths, secrets, disinformation and coverups are one of the main priorities of any intelligence organization, and certainly the case for any hidden global cabal. I would have thought this would be self-evident.

Its self evident when you have no stable ground to stand on, Its self evident when allowing the mind to swim the seas of paranoia.

What is self evident is that the main priorities of any Intelligence agency is to gather intelligence not to control information, how do you control a persons experiences and the passing on of that knowledge learned from said experience. I can understand if you mean digital information is being controlled, however its being controlled for the simple purpose of mind manipulation which is the same reason it was released for public consumption, to overflow the amount info and thanks to intelligence gathering we learned over the generations that humans follow a heard mentality, which leads us to the most fearful ideas being broadcast the loudest to put the heard in a fearful state of mind to be able to move them in line to the slaughter house or where ever else they are required to go.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by InhaleExhale

Its self evident when you have no stable ground to stand on, Its self evident when allowing the mind to swim the seas of paranoia.

What is self evident is that the main priorities of any Intelligence agency is to gather intelligence not to control information, how do you control a persons experiences and the passing on of that knowledge learned from said experience. I can understand if you mean digital information is being controlled, however its being controlled for the simple purpose of mind manipulation which is the same reason it was released for public consumption, to overflow the amount info and thanks to intelligence gathering we learned over the generations that humans follow a heard mentality, which leads us to the most fearful ideas being broadcast the loudest to put the heard in a fearful state of mind to be able to move them in line to the slaughter house or where ever else they are required to go.

Are you referring to Planet X when you talk about a herd mentality? That is interesting because up until about a year ago I had never heard about Planet X/Nibiru etc even though I had heard about vague 2012 doom theories for about a decade. Also, I know if I went up to many people on the street and asked them about Planet X or Nibiru, about 1%-2% would have any idea what I'm talking about. I have never heard Planet X or Nibiru ever mentioned once on MSM.

So when it comes to topics like Planet X, or mouthpieces like John Moore, if they are part of some "agenda" in which the most fearful ideas are broadcast the loudest, they are failing miserably in terms of reaching a wider audience.

It would seem to me your theory would apply obviously to ridiculous stories in the MSM like cannibal-zombie stories, or on faux alternative sites that push BS like mass banker arrests or London Olympic false flags.

Also, if you actually knew anything about intelligence agencies you would know that control of information is a main priority in addition to intelligence gathering, the latter is the one the public only hears about.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

I think InhaleExhale is referring to the very thing you peddle, doom. You may not have heard of it a year ago, but you sure are on the bandwagon promoting the heck out of sites that say it's coming.. And I know you claim that you arent' sure but that all the evidence points to it blah blah blah, but jeez, did you ever think all of that may be disinformation?

*rolls eyes* It goes both ways.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
These are the 25 rules of disinformation. Commonly used when debating and the truth that is self-evident to all that you have no argurment. When winning is more important than truth.

vigilantcitizen.com...

edit on 1-9-2012 by tkwasny because: typo fix

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I have to say this is an interesting topic coming from the OP. I agree about disinfo as it does stand in the way of finding the truth, but here is where it becomes interesting, because the title of this thread clearly states..

Disinformation - How it Works, How to stop it, and Why it is bad for society and the world

And yet he started these threads....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And this one is my favorite...

OP please don't take this as a jab at you as it is for the most part a question as to how you can talk about how bad disinfo is, yet you are guilty of doing what this thread was started for...disinfo?

Just wondering....

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by tkwasny
These are the 25 rules of disinformation. Commonly used when debating and the truth that is self-evident to all that you have no argurment. When winning is more important than truth.

vigilantcitizen.com...

edit on 1-9-2012 by tkwasny because: typo fix

I've told people there were lists like that... and also list to being a successful troll even if it's for ones own twisted pleasure and not disinfo.

This list seems to be more for making people aware that there are a structured set of tactics... but my point is that there are books on deception tactics, there have been for a long time. There are books on con games, there are books on psychological black magic (this issue I find particularly creepy) all sorts of things to make a person successful at deception and people need to wake up to this. Everyone knows deceivers exist but again, my point is that it is studied like a science... many books written AND studied.

By who?

Seemingly every day people walking among us.

This fact doesn't get me near as bad as just listening to people talk... even on milder levels people EVERYWHERE of full of manipulation and many think it's for good intentions because they just don't get it. They don't understand how these mechanisms, even if well meaning, are best at simply misaligning gears of life... but this is really hard for a of of people to understand so you just have to keep shoving the ugly hard evidence like books in their face and say LOOK.... humankinds favorite past time is manipulation. We're not paranoid, we're sick of this crap.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotAnAspie

By who?

I hate to use such terms but it is "the Legion"

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Disinformation can have less of an impact if everyone thoroughly researched a particular topic instead of relying on single source. The internet allows us to probe vast quantities of sources, some scholarly, some blogs, some MSM, some independent news casts and with this you should be able to clear the fog that disinformation creates. disinformation is intended to muddy up the water and make the pursuit of truth more difficult. I am afraid to say the majority of the population of western cultures are to lazy to put the leg work in. Disinformation will gain effectiveness the more restrictions are placed on internet access and freedom of information., in which some threads have alluded to that this is already happening.

That is why the children are targeted in the public education system. By the time are are old enough to have interest in the world on a deeper level they already have almost a global religion drilled into their heads. Some kids know that what they were taught was questionable and will seek out the fact of a matter but, most don't expect to be deceived and accept it like a sponge. This is a system trusted by their parents and often the parents will insist the child get the grades that satisfy the system. The grades are based on attitudinal beliefs and behaviors not basic academics. These are taught by the distortion of facts ...did you know that many of the newer generations of Americans have no clue that America was once the most celebrated country in the world for it's freedom? Many never even heard what a "republic" means. Anything that would foster loyalty to America was and is slighted to do the opposite... anything that is in the way of a new global system was and is given a negative light. Some may agree with the purpose of this disinformation....but disinformation is disinformation.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I have to say this is an interesting topic coming from the OP. I agree about disinfo as it does stand in the way of finding the truth, but here is where it becomes interesting, because the title of this thread clearly states..

And yet he started these threads....

And this one is my favorite...

OP please don't take this as a jab at you as it is for the most part a question as to how you can talk about how bad disinfo is, yet you are guilty of doing what this thread was started for...disinfo?

Just wondering....

Actually this one is the most classic,

followed closely by:

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I don't follow any particular persons or topics on these boards so I cannot comment on anything about the OP's posting/topic history. I really don't care to either.

The topic of disinformation is a real issue. So many of our countrymen draw their information from the MSM and honestly believe "if it's on the news, it must be true". There used to be standards of truth and honesty...well...there was to a point...but now, there is none. Most poor saps trying to understand the mad world he is surrounded by turns on the evening news and gets drowned in editorial opinion pieces...he doesn't know the difference. It would be really nice if there was some way to bring the facts back to journalism...

notice I said facts...

If you want "truth"...study Philosophy.

If you want to analyze a situation and deduce a course of action or path...you need facts.
edit on 1-9-2012 by Jeremiah65 because: spelling

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65
I don't follow any particular persons or topics on these boards so I cannot comment on anything about the OP's posting/topic history. I really don't care to either.

The topic of disinformation is a real issue. So many of our countrymen draw their information from the MSM and honestly believe "if it's on the news, it must be true". There used to be standards of truth and honesty...well...there was to a point...but now, there is none. Most poor saps trying to understand the mad world he is surrounded by turns on the evening news and gets drowned in editorial opinion pieces...he doesn't know the difference. It would be really nice if there was some way to bring the facts back to journalism...

notice I said facts...

If you want "truth"...study Philosophy.

If you want to analyze a situation and deduce a course of action or path...you need facts.
edit on 1-9-2012 by Jeremiah65 because: spelling

Thank you for your quality post, along with others.

As to the question of your first sentence, some posters cannot help themselves from commenting on the poster instead of the topic - and as to the reason for that I shall let you draw your own conclusions.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldSchoolMom
reply to post by MDDoxs

Disinformation can have less of an impact if everyone thoroughly researched a particular topic instead of relying on single source. The internet allows us to probe vast quantities of sources, some scholarly, some blogs, some MSM, some independent news casts and with this you should be able to clear the fog that disinformation creates. disinformation is intended to muddy up the water and make the pursuit of truth more difficult. I am afraid to say the majority of the population of western cultures are to lazy to put the leg work in. Disinformation will gain effectiveness the more restrictions are placed on internet access and freedom of information., in which some threads have alluded to that this is already happening.

That is why the children are targeted in the public education system. By the time are are old enough to have interest in the world on a deeper level they already have almost a global religion drilled into their heads. Some kids know that what they were taught was questionable and will seek out the fact of a matter but, most don't expect to be deceived and accept it like a sponge. This is a system trusted by their parents and often the parents will insist the child get the grades that satisfy the system. The grades are based on attitudinal beliefs and behaviors not basic academics. These are taught by the distortion of facts ...did you know that many of the newer generations of Americans have no clue that America was once the most celebrated country in the world for it's freedom? Many never even heard what a "republic" means. Anything that would foster loyalty to America was and is slighted to do the opposite... anything that is in the way of a new global system was and is given a negative light. Some may agree with the purpose of this disinformation....but disinformation is disinformation.

This topic could have a whole forum devoted to it!

As for me, I'm tempted to tell my son's new Senior Kindergarten teacher next week that I don't want him coloring in any pictures between the lines - and that I have instructed him to flip such work over and free draw on the reverse blank side.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join