It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge storms over both poles.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+62 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Have you SEEN whats going on in Antarctica

www.weather.com...

www.accuweather.com...

Pull above over south pole. This storm is HUGE.

www.oceanweather.com...

Use global selection on left hand menu.

This shows wave heights of 40 feet in the 2 areas.

I don't know so much about this area but is this normal.
edit on 9-8-2012 by murch because: fixing links

While looking into this storm I stumbled over another page detail an ongoing storm in the north pole region so I have changed title of thread.

neven1.typepad.com...

PS pillaging other forums for info.
edit on 9-8-2012 by murch because: adding additional links

edit on 9-8-2012 by murch because: Further information

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I am assuming a storm this size has got to have a global impact. Anyone from the southern hemisphere got anything to report.

This thread is about predicting a tsunami in Australia.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If this storm was to shift near to Australia could it cause a massive storm surge. Don't storms increase in strength over water.

Input appreciated.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Dare I say?..

Something to do with the constant shifting of the poles? So these storms are abnormal are they? I can't seem to find out on my phone.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Cant find to much info on polar storms regularity at the moment still looking.

This page is reporting on a north pole event that is also taking place. WTH is going on.

neven1.typepad.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
We need someone here to tell us if this is normal. It's important. Thanks op for let us know.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Edit: After reading your bottom source the implications of this weather system are more significant then I orginially presumed. Good find!

How often does one wonder about the weather at the poles, besides that it is cold and snowy.

edit on 9-8-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by murch

Flagged & Starred.

Hopefully someone will chime in with expertise. Good catch !!!

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
From your sources...

and the Arctic

An animation of Uni Bremen sea ice concentration maps from August 3rd-6th
Tomorrow will be like today: huge (pardon my scientific reticence). Wednesday and Thursday are going to be massive. Friday will just be big. Fortunately, these forecasts can change from one day to the next, so there's a chance the winds will not be as strong. But below 970 mb sea level pressure? Mamma mia!

If we forget about the dreadful effects of this storm on sea ice for a second, we soon realize that it is also going to cause some major coastal erosion.

Below is the actual "weather map" of the north pole from weather.com. The above is the sea ice concentration map from your source.

Thanks for the information OP.

edit on 9-8-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
is it really that big ? wow,
here is a link to the Australian weather site Bureau of Meteorology
if anyone wants to look

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I did a search and came up with this:

dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com...

A Closer Look at Ice Impacts of a Rare Arctic Summer Storm
By ANDREW C. REVKIN
The National Snow and Ice Data Center has posted on what it calls “a most interesting Arctic summer,” and that is certainly the case, given this week’s powerful and rare summer storm, which is churning the Arctic Ocean’s already thin and reduced sea ice cover.

Here’s Chapman’s look at this summer’s powerful Arctic storm and its impact on sea ice:

I’ve been keeping an eye on this storm for a variety of reasons. First, it’s a rare event. This storm is intense for any time of year, but especially for summer, when the weather is normally fairly benign in the Arctic. This storm formed and intensified near the Beaufort Sea and moved to the central Arctic Ocean where it will slowly lose its intensity over the next several days. Ordinarily, the Beaufort Sea and the Arctic Ocean are dominated by high pressure, so having a low pressure system form and intensify here is quite uncommon. Although, it has been happening with more frequency over the past few decades as pressures have dropped significantly in the Arctic during this time and are projected to drop even more during the next century by the global climate models.

It appears it s a rare occurance. I will keep searching. And don't forget about the snow coverage in South Africa, a 1st ever. www.abovetopsecret.com... and July 2012, hottest on record. Too many 1sts, too many record breakers. Too many rare and unusual weather systems. SOMETHING IS HAPPENING. Maybe this is the worst it will get. Hope so.

edit on 9-8-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Beginnings of a pole shift?

It does seem rather large

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I will report from Tasmania .

Weather here is crazy as mentioned by a few people I encountered today.

The fuel station attendant said he has had snow, rain, wind, sun all within the day.
this service station is at sea level and its got snow in the rain.

this is not normal.

The weather seems a bit different like something is brewing up to become bigger.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
There usually is extreme weather around both polar regions, just saying its hardly out of the ordinary.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

I think the word "RARE" is what's in play here. Ugh, another duststorm hitting Pheonix. Although they hit 1-3 times a year, I hadn't heard of them until about a year ago.
edit on 9-8-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Well I suppose for massive ice sheets to grow for an Ice Age, heavy concentratioms of water would need to be dumped at the poles while the rest of the world dries up. We were warned of a coming Ice Age in the 1970's. I would imagine this may be nothing but this may just be the start of storms centered over the poles.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
South east Queensland blowing a gail. Trails being sucked out to sea.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
After having a quick look it appears the storm in the North is the unusual event. Storms like this typically do not happen in the summer.

The southern system may be normal as far as I can tell. Still looking.

From what I have read so far it appears that polar weather does have a large impact on our weather. I am no expert, in fact quite the opposite, so it would be good to get some input from a knowledgeable source.

+26 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Do you remember the weather map in the "Day After Tomorrow" where it shows hurricanes forming at the poles. I realize the movie was not scientifically accurate, but it sure looks like life imitating art today.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Casey Base, Antarctica weather data for June, July and August

Knock yourselves out.

Personally, I see nothing unusual.

Wind gusts in June peaked at 170 km/h, August hasn't even reached 125 yet...

edit on 9-8-2012 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I wonder if this has influenced the rescue mission underway that can be found in this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

An Australian medical team and government jet were sent to Antarctica Wednesday to assist in the rescue of an expeditioner from the United States' McMurdo Station base.

The Australian Antarctic Division, a branch of the government's environment department, said the US National Science Foundation had requested assistance in an emergency mission, the details of which were not immediately clear.

Further details were expected to be released later by US authorities.

Antarctic rescue mission underway
Thanks to Loam for the other thread.

I wonder if this storm is the cause of this rescue mission or has some how affected it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join