It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When following the law get's you arrested

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Link

A prominent New Haven immigration attorney who was arrested Tuesday night for carrying a pistol in his waistband when he went to a showing of the "The Dark Knight Rises" said he fully complied with the law.

President elect of the bar association carried his pistol to a late night showing downtown in a horribly crime ridden city.

The cops had no real charges so they push for "breach of peace" because other people were frightened by his law-abiding behavior.

He said since more than one person called police to complain, "clearly he was upsetting people, which makes it a breach of peace."

Egads! He attended the showing alone!!!

To make matters worse, Lawlor said, the suspect was apparently by himself at the late movie, which further frightened people in the theater.

The best part, from the cities honorable corrupt as hell dynasty mayor:

"Sometimes just because something is legal doesn't make it right," DeStefano said.

I'm just glad this happened to a high-profile attorney. Maybe some good will come of it. If it happened to any one of us regular slobs we'd be naked on a concrete floor facing terror charges.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Too bad he wasn't a prominent judge or member of Congress instead of just an immigration attorney. But I am sure it ok for Mayor Bloomberg's body guards to be packing in the theatre.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
The police have upset quite a few people so they all those who have should be jailed themselves for breaching the peace. To be a police officer one is exempt from the law as they perform their duties, if you or I did any of the things the police do we would be arrested and jailed. It's all so skewed that it is a farce in the face of reality.

Can't anyone else understand what I know to be true. From the lowest to the highest they are crooks and criminals.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

The best part, from the cities honorable corrupt as hell dynasty mayor:

"Sometimes just because something is legal doesn't make it right," DeStefano said.

OMFG...well, being totally ate up with stupid isn't right either so would someone please slap some cuffs on DeStefano?
edit on 8-9-2012 by Valhall because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
The funny thing is....if something bad would have happened in that theater like in Colorado, the same people that complained about his handgun would be wishing someone had been packing.

I hope all charges are dropped and his constitutional rights are upheld. Shame on the whining, scared little pansies that got frightened by a damn pistol.

I'd rather have the guy next to me be armed then end up on CNN as a witness to another shooting!
edit on 9-8-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
The guy carried his weapon on him to a showing of Batman, to try to push his luck. After what happened, you'd THINK he'd show some common sense, and leave it home. He did it to ASK for trouble.
Stupid idiot

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

What he said and what all those people in who allegedly called the cops are thinking is what is wrong with all the cops.

People, stupid people, are operating under this assumption that if they dont like something it must be against the law.

In that way we get more assinine laws year after year, more police abuses year after year, more bunk fantasy catch-all charges such as "breach of peace" year after year.

It is with absolute certainty that I proclaim 85% of the human population of the planet, regardless of position, skill, IQ, or wealth, to be unarguably mentally ill.

I dont like what you're doing so I'm calling the cops who will also not like what you're doing who will look to a PA who not only doesnt like what you're doing but is also driven by a points system to levy any charges whatsoever to punish you for doing something I dont like.

And should that fail, the next legislative session will produce bills to make what I dont like into a crime and you will suffer for hurting no one and causing no damage to any property because I dont like what you're doing.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Maybe he should check the rules of the movie theater. If they have a no weapons policy then they have every right to call the cops. And seeing how people have been arrested for trying to carry weapons into the Batman movie this guy was an idiot for trying to do so. If this guy is so scared that he has to pack a gun to a movie then he should just stay home and watch it online.

It's also nice that the op chose to leave out the part where he refused to comply with the police.

New Haven police spokesman David Hartman said he refused to comply with officers who questioned him in the theater after other patrons were evacuated and patted down.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
The guy carried his weapon on him to a showing of Batman, to try to push his luck. After what happened, you'd THINK he'd show some common sense, and leave it home. He did it to ASK for trouble.
Stupid idiot

Or, at least he could have concealed it.

That's what I would have done. Open carry is challenging sometimes, in my opinion. And, in light of the recent events, I agree with you that he might have considered other patrons' response.He should have just concealed.

Bottom line, I hope he fights the charge like crazy. It's his right to carry, and like someone else said, if something DID happen, I bet people would have been looking to him for rescue.

Edit to Add: The poster below me made a great point. Why SHOULD he change his behavior? I didn't even think of that. If he open carries all the time, no reason for him to change. The change would probably screw up his muscle memory anyway. And I also agree with below poster: maybe bad taste, not a common sense issue. I should stop my 'rapid-fire' responses and think more!
edit on 9-8-2012 by MojaveBurning because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Stupid idiot

That's bull, not common sense.

Changing your behavior because some people are sad is ridiculous.

Had he have carried to every movie he'd ever seen lawfully previously to the Colorado incident he should just not carry when he goes to see the same movie because why?

How about a different movie? Is that okay? Or will that make people sad too?

Enough caving to the emotional whims of unstable people.

Maybe it can be considered "bad taste" but it is a far cry from lack of "common sense."

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I left it out because he wasnt charged with resisting arrest so it becomes irrelevant.

Unless you want to get into why we are all expected to just comply with police demands when we are committing no crime.

edit on 9-8-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I'm sorry, but I think the guy carried it to try to see if he'd get in trouble, which he did. He's a lawyer, and he was pushing for a problem.
Don't get me wrong, if I could own a weapon, I'd have a few myself. I'm all for arming the general public against scumbags, but this was done to push an issue. What other reason would he have for going to a theater in a bad section of his city packing, other then to INVITE attention to himself?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

He likely did do it to get in the very situation he's in. Or at least see if he would. That doesnt make it wrong.

CT open carry law has been an issue for a long time that no judges had the balls to rule on and no citizens had the resources to test.

This guy has the resources and the position to make his stunt, if it is one, worthwhile.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
the land of the free exists nowhere."Just because something is legal doesn't make it right"laughable quote from a cog in a very dodgy system.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
We are been forced, by the law to be walking victims for those who actually and dangerously disregard the law to use guns and knives to rob, hurt and kill other people for financial gain such as money or a stolen car or to further drug distribution and sex slavery. Our lives are more valuable than any law so we must be allowed and without question to protect and defend ourselves in the best way possible in such a dangerous world we live in. Why in all creation would anyone would want to chance it. Ask the dead what they think.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Stupid idiot
after recent events this is exactly the place you might need a gun.how do you know he did it to ask for trouble?maybe he carrys all the time so it is as normal to him as taking his mobile phone with him.
edit on 9/8/2012 by glen200376 because: carry changed to carrots by spell checker!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376

after recent events this is exactly the place you might need a gun.how do you know he did it to ask for trouble?maybe he carrys all the time so it is as normal to him as taking his mobile phone with him.

It's funny that the state and law enforcement would have you believe they are just in stacking troops at theater doors because a copycat is apparently a reasonable likelihood.

Yet should an individual act in a similar manner they are seen as behaving badly even recklessly.

It's okay for the state to ramp up defenses but it's weird and frightening for me or you to do it.

No consistency. Unless, of course, we are operating under the assumption that the state is holy and righteous and you and I are insane and evil.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
It is unfortunate that the general public are pretty dim witted. It is media conditioning people to believe an inanimate object is evil. If he was within local statutes on OC there should be no problem. He cannot control peoples perception of his lawful actions. I do believe he did this to prove a point though. If he just wanted to be protected while he watched a movie CC would be the better option. But by no means is he required to take into account peoples irrational fear.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracyrus

What makes it an irrational fear? Shouldn't an unarmed person be more concerned about the guy openly carrying a firearm into an enclosed room with them?

I hardly trust people to walk around this city without killing someone using nothing but the power of their stupidity. Imagine how little I would trust them with cars, heavy machinery, or... say... a weapon with no purpose other than to kill other humans.

I mean... I'm all for people's right to defend themselves... but carrying a firearm openly in a public place is asking for attention. If you are not expecting that attention, then you are a fool. You may have a right to carry it, but other people still have a right to consider you a threat.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CrikeyMagnet

I disagree. If someone is following the regulations put in place by his local government then the fear is irrational.

I will not debate the right to carry or own a firearm. It is my belief that if you abide by the law no one should be able to pass judgement on you.

And as a matter of technicalities a guns purpouse is to fire a projectile. The user determines where the projectile goes.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join