It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do crazy/retarded people know they are crazy/retarded?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower
Just curious, do mentally ill people// crazy /retarded people know they are crazy or retarded?

Personally, I'm still on the fence. Guess it's as good a place as any to be?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

edit on 9-8-2012 by adrift because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

Crazy people generally are not aware of the fact that they are crazy (crazy meaning legally insane). Many mentally ill people are aware of the fact that they have issues and seek medical treatment which in most cases allow them to live normal, productive lives.

If by "retarded" you mean people with Downs Syndrome in most cases they are aware of the fact that they are "slower" than average people. However my cousin who has Downs Syndrome has a lot more snap and is more intelligent than many people I've known without such afflictions.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I suppose that due to you be an American, the expression Retard or Retarded is used for people who have a mental illness, learning difficulties etc.

I am not saying that all Americans use this term, but here in the UK that expression is not used in general......

Most people find it quite offensive and you would not use this term, I personally find it totally unacceptable and ignorant.....

I couldn't even believe when I came on ATS today to actually see a posted thread with the word retarded in the title..

Personally I feel that the thread should be removed, the title rewritten and then added with better wording.....

But saying that, here in the UK, the word C**T (the C word) is used in many people's vocabulary, but you say that word in the company of most Americans and they just totally hate it...........

But even though we use the word c**t we still would not use that word in the title of a thread on an open website such as ATS....

I suppose it is all down to different cultures and terminology, but to say retarded for someone who has a mental illness, to me and loads of other people they would find that term totally offensive..........

I feel like calling you a c**t, but I suppose that would be out of order on all counts from both sides of the pond wouldn't it.........
edit on 9-8-2012 by davethebear because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Hmmm... I think there's all kinds of crazy. Some know it and some don't. It's even more complicated than that really.

My Dad is totally f'n crazy, like seriously one of the worse patients most of the psych facilities have to deal with. He knows he's mentally ill, signs himself in, now permanently. Takes his meds, so many they give him (I think they've fried his brain with so many meds over the years) .But he doesn't see the individual destructive, weird and disruptive things he does as crazy. He thinks that he thinks straight, that he's always right, and that he just doesn't feel right.

Then, my sister-in-law with Down's that lives with us, kinda half-knows. Like, if she wants to have more sweets than she ought to be eating, she'll make puppy eyes and be all like "but I'm your handicapped daughter" to her mom. But besides using it to her advantage, she seems totally oblivious to being any different than anyone else.

But seriously, I remember as a little kid, wondering just like you, would I know if I was really retarded? (I think it was because my dad was always telling us we were stupid and/or or retarded)

So, you're probably OK. Hang around ATS long enough, and you'll see what crazy/retarded really is.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Many people know that they have a mental illness; and they learn to live with it. Does that mean they are crazy? Not necessarily.

I suggest that you make an appointment with a medial professional...(a therapist) and tell that person what you are feeling; experiencing. You will get some answers and a better perspective on what you are going through.

I hope for you the very best in life.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Some do, many don't. But just because a bunch of uneducated people tell you you are, it doesn't mean squat.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Don't worry, everything is unfolding perfectly.

If a person doesn't have a little "crazy" to make them human, then they are a little retarded.

Did you know your username is an anagram of "a deep worry" and "yard pee row".

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join