It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Ownership should they be a restriction or ban on semi or full auto weapons

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by gavlar1974

In Canada we have a banon full-auto's because they're not made for hunting. They're made for killing people. You need a permit to buy a pump action, lever, bolt, semi-auto and handguns. I believe it's a good thing. Anybody can get a permit. And it keeps the "non-responsibles" away.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

tazers can kill peopl just as guns

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I live in the Southern U.S.A My perspective is simple. I am a middle aged man with three children and a wife. It is my job to protect my family. I have never been in prison, arrested or ticketed for that matter. I have a college degree and am in Middle Management with a Fortune 100 company.

Southern US born I owned my first .22 at twelve. I do not fear any man and I would kill anyone or anything that threatens the lives of my family, period. If the President of the U.S. deserves protection so does my family.

My life has been dedicated to the protection and provision for my family. I do not need anyone’s permission or law, although I am a legal CWP (Conceled Weapons Permit) holder. I stand by Country, my friends, and strangers in need, a gun is a tool they are owned by fools, heroes and, the common man and woman. Learn to use one safely and your perspective will change forever.

If you live in a world where you do not have that freedom I am sorry for you, do the best with what you have.

I do not have more courage than you nor am I more of a man. I am fortunate to live in a place that respects my freedom and I can honestly say that because of that I will never live in fear.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
www.thisissouthwales.co.uk...

I thought this news report was fit to mention in this thread.

All three men have admitted a fifth charge of possessing .22LR rimfire rounds, adapted to expand on impact.

Charged for having 22lr hollow points!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they looked through the stuff on my computer desk, they would have an instant heart attack.

PC Jones said he did not handle the guns as they were unsafe and Mr Law said he had changed his gloves between each exhibit.

If you touch one, it may reach out and bite you! …… Lord have mercy!!! The UK is dead!
edit on 9-8-2012 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by gavlar1974
Im uk citizen and i own nothing more than a high powered Airgun.Yes because in UK you have to go to a head shrink just for .22 rifle.Me personally i just think i could defend my house from a robber with it no need for gun ownership in any country we have to think of our kids and famlies across the world.Time for a worldwide ban and arms destruction.Yeah fat chance of that happening but in UK its happened. And yeah we have an underground trade and blank weapons drilled out to fire live ammo..thoughts peeps..
edit on 9-8-2012 by gavlar1974 because: Spelling mistakes ha ha

Try using your BB gun against someone who has an Assault Rifle, see who dies first. The Right to Bear Arms insures that no tyrannical government can come to power and stay in power indefinately. Case in point look at those clowns running your country that has already disarmed you. What can you do against someone who employs an army with the weapons you do not have? See what broken bottles and lead pipes do to someone you can't even reach. There will be a pile of dead bodies and not one of them will die.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashdespatch
reply to post by GoodOlDave

Wtf the cops have had tazers here for years

Not all the cops. According to the Daily Mail article (as of June 2012) they want all the cops to have them. The Google article on gun usage among UK cops says that 's a project they want to complete in five years. You're just seeing the ones who actually had them issued to them.

FYI the same article says UK cops in Northern Ireland are armed. Apparently noone got word to the IRA they're not supposed to have guns.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll
I never said no guns equals no crime.

Our cops already do carry tazers I think. Tazers don't fire bullets though last time I checked.

So why do the cops need tazers in the UK if you think the only thing they have to worry about are drunk football fans?

I read another report on the reason why they wanted Tazers; apparenty the president of some federation or another is pushing for them because a dozen or so police were stabbed to death. So when I say your gun ban makes police the victims of crime just as much as it does for the civilians, how is that wrong?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Short answer to OP question:
No.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissingRonnieR
I live in the Southern U.S.A My perspective is simple. I am a middle aged man with three children and a wife. It is my job to protect my family. I have never been in prison, arrested or ticketed for that matter. I have a college degree and am in Middle Management with a Fortune 100 company.

Southern US born I owned my first .22 at twelve. I do not fear any man and I would kill anyone or anything that threatens the lives of my family, period. If the President of the U.S. deserves protection so does my family.

My life has been dedicated to the protection and provision for my family. I do not need anyone’s permission or law, although I am a legal CWP (Conceled Weapons Permit) holder. I stand by Country, my friends, and strangers in need, a gun is a tool they are owned by fools, heroes and, the common man and woman. Learn to use one safely and your perspective will change forever.

If you live in a world where you do not have that freedom I am sorry for you, do the best with what you have.

I do not have more courage than you nor am I more of a man. I am fortunate to live in a place that respects my freedom and I can honestly say that because of that I will never live in fear.

Being southern born myself, I understand this well. You all should.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
Hi there...

2/3rds of all semi-auto gun sales are in the Southern USA... wonder what's up with that?

the american civil war, or at it is known in the south, the war of northern aggression.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Yes, there should be a law passed pertaining to semi auto rifles and handguns!

Every citizen should be required to have one of each and be trained and proficient in it's use.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

I know that it is due to the Civil War and as a Southerner, I also know we vowed never again. I was just being sarcastic...

I live in a county here in NC where there are more guns than people... literally. We have a very low crime rate and an almost non existent homicide rate.

If the argument most anti-gun folks used were true, my county should be in the midst of a bloodbath... it isn't. In fact, we go to sleep with our doors unlocked... actually, it has been a typical summer here in NC and we go to sleep with the doors open so the breeze can come through the screen door.

Here in the South as in most rural areas, gun ownership is a rite of passage to adulthood. Most kids start with a BB Gun to teach responsibility and safety. The around 12 it is a .22 cal rifle... then a good hunting shot gun.

Case in point, earlier this year in a neighboring county, a teenage girl and her younger brother were home from school and a couple of theives were breaking and enteringtheir home... the girl screams... the young man enters the room with his shotgun and promptly kills the nearest intruder... the other ran and was later caught...

Home intrusions have gone down as of late... what's up with that?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

They aren't banned. They are restricted. If you have a class3 FFL or live in a class 3 allowable state and feel like doing the little bit of extra paper work, you can own a full auto.
I happen to have a class3 FFL. And a ton of FULL auto weapons. And I enjoy the heck out of them.
And until they can get all the full autos out of the hands of criminals, Im not giving mine up.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
GOD!
I am sick up to here with you!..........How many anti-Gun threads can you Brits produce?................
JEEZUS! ITS NOT EVEN YOUR COUNTRY!
Every other day, some Limey,gets the wind up.....and presto.....another useless anti gun opinion......
....from a nonparticipant.....somebody three effing thousand and more mile away.....
On the other side of an ocean, from a little tiny island nation....(that could fit into Texas three times alone....)
That used to run the world, but exhausted its people, its resources, and its future, fighting two huge wars.....
and numerous colonial skirmishes.....with their guns....their army still has them!
They never got rid of guns..........!!
Their army, navy, airforce, police,intelligence services, and much vaunted SAS, and SBS.....all are armed to the teeth!
Not to mention, Scotland yard, MI 6, MI5, and the other Ms and odds and ends.....
The ONLY people in britain who DONT have GUNS are...........wait for it.........
............................................................................................................THE BRITISH PEOPLE!
..........................EVEN THE IRA HAS AUTOMATIC WEAPONS!
They were legal to own in britain at one time when the british were still free and proud of their freedom, and their common laws......
BUT THATS ALL OVER NOW.....sorry, but, you cant have guns...anymore.....
But .............just because YOU cant have them,
DOESENT mean that nobody else can either.......see?
You,............. no guns.....
us .................we will keep ours as long as we are alive to use them in our own defence, and the defence of our liberty.
So......please fellahs find something else to tell us how to do better......
you did so well with yours.....
As an aside, the reason you drive on the side of the road that you do in England is so that the guy comming the other way and you meet with your sword arms on the proper side.....but that was a long time ago.....
By the way, I am Canadian.....just get off their case will you ..............
You embarass yourselves..........

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll
reply to post by Valhall

Folk in the UK don't have guns, so therefore...

It's safer to live in a country where guns are illegal.
edit on 9-8-2012 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

Folk in the UK don't have guns, so your government/monarchy doesn't have to worry about you (their subjects) getting tired of their shenanigans and chasing them out of power. Essentially that's what happened here, Our/your King got his troops sent home after a thrashing by our armed citizens. I'm sure you heard about it, it was in ALL of the papers. I could see why they'd be less than enthused at having an armed populace.
THIS is the reason it was written into our bill of rights as a necessity "to the security of a free State" (note they used the word "Free"). so that if a time comes that Citizens of the U.S. need to physically chase the knuckleheads in power out of office, we will have the proper tools to do so. not a pretty thought. nor is it one I relish considering... but you never know whats around the corner, historically.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

That's why you guys lost the war against the USA

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

ok then stay there, we don't need you in the US anyway!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
just reading the opening post I can tell you one thing. you take the guns out of the common mans hands, and the criminals will still have them, and the military/government will have an easy peezee time taking us by storm and doing whatever they want with us with no retaliation. you go ahead and live in the fantasy world where everything will be just fine with an arms ban, but you are just being another sheep led to the slaughter. sorry to break it to ya.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I have changed my opinion regarding American citizens and their guns after reading this comment today this thread

Originally posted by hawkiye

Originally posted by Sablicious
Take The United States Of New South Fails numbers out of the Australian statistics and all of a sudden gun control starts looking a whole lot more effective!

Oh gun control is very effective... Allowing governments to murder their citizens by the millions:

"Anti Self-Defense (gun control) & The Mass Extermination Of Peoples

20 million exterminated for lack of self-defense. In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to

1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. '1, '2, '3.

1.5 million exterminated for lack of self-defense. In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. '4.

13 million exterminated for lack of self-defense. Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated. '5.

20 million exterminated for lack of self-defense. China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. '6

100 thousand exterminated for lack of self-defense. Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. '7.

300 thousand exterminated for lack of self-defense. Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated. '8, '9.

1 million exterminated for lack of self-defense. Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million 'educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated." '10.

56 million total, exterminated for lack of self-defense. Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

The next time someone talks in favor of Anti Self Defense (gun control), ask them "Who do YOU want to round up and EXTERMINATE?" Please pause and reflect on the MASSIVE AMOUNT of lives lost because the means of self defense were deprived these people. Now you may begin to understand why gun owners are prepared to defend the "Right to Keep and Bear Arms" with all thierr might as our Founding Fathers did! This is not idle talk, references are provided. The media is not giving facts, next time they quote statistics supposedly in favor of Anti Self Defense (gun control) Ask for references, you will be astonished at the lack there of, and half truths used to support their "Anti Self-Defense" agenda.

End notes
Lethal Laws. By Jay Simkin, Aaron Zelman, & Alan M. Rice. Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, P.O. Box 270143, Hartford, WI 53027 (262) 673-9745 et al. '1. Simkin et al., supra note 2, at 98. '2. Decree of the Council of People's Commissars, 10 December 1918, reprinted in 4 Decrees of Soviet Power 123 (Moscow 1968), reprinted in Simkin et al., supra note 2, at 123 '3. Id. at 100-04. '4. Id. at 83. '5. Raul Hilberg, The Destruction of the European Jews 318-20 (1985). '6. Id. at 190. '7. Id. at 229. '8. Id. at 276. '9. Id. at 278. '10. Simkin et al., supra note 2, at 315. For more in depth detail visit: www.jpfo.org..., www.jpfo.org..."

Source: this is a flier/mailer I put together years ago on gun control

edit on 8-8-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

After seeing the pattern in that post about what has happened in the past after establishing gun control in those countries, then I have to admit that if I was American there would be no way I would give up my guns either.

Americans don't trust their government not to do the same as those mentioned in that post, and who can blame them? They are correct to be suspicious of their government's actions for many reasons. Let's face it, it isn't as if the US gov is going to come out and say 'we want your guns because we are going to totally oppress you' because no citizen will give up so much as a BB, and rightly so. So I have to hop over the fence and join ranks with you yanks on this one.

It's the US gov's fault that it's own citizens and the rest of the world do not trust it.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Speaking as a Brit, imposing stricter controls on firearms - or banning them completely - makes no difference to crime rates anywhere. In any event, it would be a case of bolting the door over two hundred years after the horse ran off. Never a good starting point. It would also lead to a more or less immediate rise in the black market demand for weapons and criminalise a whole lot of otherwise law abiding US citizens. Tighter control is not the answer - better education on the potential devastating effect of gun crime is. Catch them young, educate them so that they know that guns are for self defence only so that, when the kid grows and goes off the rails and has a gun trained on someone in a malicious way, he puts it away instead of pulling the trigger.

For some reason a lot of Brits tend to have an issue with cultures where firearm ownership is more relaxed than here, I don't know why that is. We also tend to see cultures with more relaxed firearms licensing laws as somehow culturally inferior. That isn't the case either. The posts on here about Southern gun culture and growing up to respect the power of the weapon and its effects made an impression on me. I now understand US gun owners a bit better so thanks for that - we generally just get highly skewed arguments over here via the UK media in favour of tighter control in the US so its nice to hear from someone else for once.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join