It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flawless second day on Mars for Curiosity, high-res pic (including R/B 3D)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Originally posted by impaired
(Some of you) - Here you go guys - happy?

Can someone embed that, please? Pretty please?
edit on 8/9/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

Can't embed it. But thanks for posting it.
And it isn't even the high rez version.

I guess I have to make an official excuse to NASA/JPL for all my previous wining about the cameras and low-res pics we got in the beginning. I blame it on my impatience.
Definitely getting better and better with the quality

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Indeed so.
I did not really want to put their name up here, but had to, to make an example.
I feel so ashamed....

I tried to do it a little discreet though.
edit on 9-8-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
(Some of you) - Here you go guys - happy?

Can someone embed that, please? Pretty please?

Can't embed it. But thanks for posting it.
And it isn't even the high rez version.

Your welcome, Phage.

Hey, just off topic for a second, remember how when I first came to this site how I was all about the GFL (Haha), Greys, Aliens, the whole fringe, and now look - I've become more rational! I just had to say that.

But anyways, I can't wait for the full resolution images.

Now, if I have this right - to those who say "How can a 1600x1200 camera be better than what was already sent?".

If I'm not mistaken, it's all about "Field of view"? The 1600x1200 camera has a more narrow field of view, so there would be more pixels in a smaller area - thus there would be more pictures to stitch together in the panoramas and other images.

Is that correct?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

See? Isn't this exciting to watch this all come along? I don't mean that condescendingly.

Here, dude. Here are two links I am going to post, if they haven't been posted already:

This is for the NASA/JPL Site:

marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov...

And THIS link has the raw images of the rovers as they come. We're on Sol 2 right now. Should be Sol 3 any time:

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Wow, is the best word regarding all this, I think
and I did absolutely not take that as condescendingly so no worries there my friend.

Thank you very much for those links.
Had no idea about that webpage. I Have been traveling the Google roads for quite a while to find the pics I posted.
This makes it all allot easier

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Is that correct?

Not exactly. The mosaic was made with thumbnails (144 x 144, heavily downsampled) of the full resolution images. Now, imagine what it would look like if it was made with the full size (1200 x 1200) images. I think I'm gonna need a bigger monitor.

edit on 8/9/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I dont mean to de-rail the thread but in that first pic you posted, there seems to be some 3 claw imprint on the dirt (gravel, soil, or whatever it is). When I moved the picture to the right, there seems to be anothe imprint. Do any of you know if that might have been caused by Curiousity ?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Is that correct?

Not exactly. The mosaic was made with thumbnails (144 x 144, heavily downsampled) of the full resolution images. Now, imagine what it would look like if it was made with the full size (1200 x 1200) images. I think I'm gonna need a bigger monitor.

Well, I wasn't talking about that mosaic in particular. I'm talking about the MAST cam in general. From what I understand from it, the cameras will have a less field of view in degrees than the other 2 sister rovers, but at a higher resolution so when they do put together the hi-resolution panoramics, it will indeed be spectacular.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by blackmetalmist

De-rail all you want, as long as it is about Mars or something connected
(or something that you like which reminds you of Mars)
Hmm, I am trying to see that imprint, but I am confused. Could you possibly point it out in the pic?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackmetalmist

I dont mean to de-rail the thread but in that first pic you posted, there seems to be some 3 claw imprint on the dirt (gravel, soil, or whatever it is). When I moved the picture to the right, there seems to be anothe imprint. Do any of you know if that might have been caused by Curiousity ?

I don't think they're "claw imprints". I think they're just from the rocket thrusters being fired and hitting the ground before they disconnected Curiosity and flew off like the dickens.

I found this on Google. Is this what you mean?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinTruth

And then what? Will it help planet Earth??? How is this mission benefiting us?

People asked those same exact questions when Christopher Columbus set out to explore the New World....

This just goes to show that the ignorants back then didn't get it and the ignorants today STILL don't get it.
edit on 9-8-2012 by Firepac because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic

De-rail all you want, as long as it is about Mars or something connected
(or something that you like which reminds you of Mars)
Hmm, I am trying to see that imprint, but I am confused. Could you possibly point it out in the pic?

Thanks
Its actually those two "damp" spots that were mentioned (not sure if it was this thread or another) in the last picture. In the very first picture you posted (a few above my post) it shows what appears to be three claw like impressions left by something. That first picture has more of closer look on the damp area. Ive circled it.. Its to the far right

edit on 9-8-2012 by blackmetalmist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Firepac

I see your point and agree. Exploring is needed, no question.
But please bring out the gentleman in you. People have different opinions about this "space stuff".

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Ok now I understand. Yes the darker parts should be from the rocket-thrusters.

Edit. after you posted the picture, I am once again confused..

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I'm talking about the MAST cam in general. From what I understand from it, the cameras will have a less field of view in degrees than the other 2 sister rovers

Ah, sorry. In that case, yes.
The pancams have (had) a 1024 x 1024 CCD. They have a field of view of 16º.
The mastcams have larger CCDs (1200 x 1200). The right camera has a field of view of 5º so it's resolution is better than 3 times that of the pancams. The left camera has a field of view of 15º so it has lower resolution than the right but still better than the pancams. And it's all in true color for those who insist.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic

Ok now I understand. Yes the darker parts should be from the rocket-thrusters.

Cool. Thanks
I thought maybe there was some kind of dinosaur like creature or something running around lol.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by SpittinTruth

And then what? Will it help planet Earth??? How is this mission benefiting us? Why are we so fascinated with life on other planets; and care so little about life on this one? The same people that start wars, are the same people that runs NASA. So, how does this benefit you and me???

I could only imagine what life would be like, if we used all this technology to enhance our lives. Instead of going to mars, how about we find a cure for cancer????

Or we could divert some of the TRILLIONS of dollars the Pentagon spends on blowing people up into something a little more productive - such as finding a cure for cancer AND funding the space program!

If you add up how much money the entire space program has cost to send every rocket, satellite, rover and man into space since the beginning of the space program, it adds up to roughly what the Pentagon spends in 8 weeks.

Priorities? Methinks people are getting this ass-backwards.

The simpletons also don't have problem spending billions on football, basketball, baseball, Lady Gaga, American Idol...etc. Because that stuff really benefits humanity you know?

Originally posted by observe50
I'm sorry but with humans dying from something so simple as hunger and dehydration etc.

We wouldn't have this problem if it weren't for the trillions of $$$ being wasted on war. Yet another one with their priorities messed up.
edit on 9-8-2012 by Firepac because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The amount of money the U.S. Government spends on space exploration is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of money they simply LOSE every year from bad accounting.

Philosophically speaking, I don't know whether space exploration is a waste of money or not. I think I'll start a new topic about it. Just so this one doesn't get all gummed up in that conversation.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

For me, there is no problem with having that topic here. It is indeed a part of going to Mars.
But perhaps it would attract more people to the discussion if you made a separete thread about it.
I will still continue posting pictures from Curiosity no matter what

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Artist concept depicting the touchdown, and not a real picture.
But still a nice one. It really makes one appreciate all that have been done.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join