It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flawless second day on Mars for Curiosity, high-res pic (including R/B 3D)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

The Tharsis volcanoes are an unusual feature so far as it isn't understood how they formed but to call it 'statistically improbable' is a bit premature, in all likelihood they are three of the major features of an as of yet unknown geological process.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Navcam 360, 2600x2558
Big pic

Dirty rover deck.

A Navcam view of Curiosity's deck on sol 2 shows gravel kicked up during the rocket-assisted landing. The image has been brightened to show more detail of the complex rover's upper surface.

edit on 9-8-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by NoExpert

Exactly however, there are enumerate other locations which could be evaluated. Wouldn't it be more prudent to image and visit (via rover) the anomalies to determine previous habitation versus the "speculation" derived from the chemical constituency radioed back from the rovers? Seriously, what would be a better indication of intelligent life here on earth if all life were extinct? Perhaps the great pyramids or a pool of dry ice?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I rather they spend $2 billion on this than all those 100s of billions on endless wars

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Seremela

How about taking away all the different bonuses from all the banksters and push in the money into projects like this.
We could explore the entire galaxy within a couple of weeks
at least financial wise.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic

How about taking away all the different bonuses from all the banksters and push in the money into projects like this.

And then what? Will it help planet Earth??? How is this mission benefiting us? Why are we so fascinated with life on other planets; and care so little about life on this one? The same people that start wars, are the same people that runs NASA. So, how does this benefit you and me???

I could only imagine what life would be like, if we used all this technology to enhance our lives. Instead of going to mars, how about we find a cure for cancer????

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I just went tearing through my junk drawer trying to find my old 3d glasses and can't find them! AHHH!!

I have always LOVED the stereo images from Mars

And I have always gotten a kick out of people who complain that these space missions cost to much and the money would be best spent elsewhere. The human races #1 priority should be space exploration because without it, we will all eventually go extinct and that's a fact. Pick on military projects, not space exploration

I'm going to go rip through my closets now to find my 3d glasses.
(I always try to grab a pair if I see them in cereal boxes or where ever they might pop up just for these occasions!)

I can't wait until they get this rover all checked out and ready to start exploring! I did not know it was able to take stereo images!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SpittinTruth

It very well could.
All depends on what will be found out there.
The problem is, will it be shown to us.

We have enough resources to explore different worlds AND help those in need. We just need to kick some a$$ to get it going.
edit on 9-8-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

I started to search as well when I found those pictures. But no luck

If you have patience for the time of delivery, I am sure you could get a pair on Ebay for just a dollar or two.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinTruth

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic

And then what? Will it help planet Earth??? How is this mission benefiting us?

For once, it might well trigger curiosity (pun INTENDED) in some kids which might later on grow to be having an exciting job in engineering, interested in science/space etc...as opposed to ending up as some psycho dwelling in a basement and pondering over conspiracy theories.

This is what our society needs, LESS ignorant and stupid people. We are so far already that MANY people cant even spell right anymore and don't know basic science facts about our world anymore.

CURIOSITY/KNOWLEDGE > IGNORANCE/SPENDING YOUR LIFE WATCHING SOAPS ON TV

What's better?

So, yes, it will HELP Earth. Believing in reptiloids won't, i am afraid.
edit on 9-8-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoExpert
reply to post by Awen24

Please inform yourself before wrongly criticising a fantastic project and programme.
I already mentioned this to several critics of the project. Sure the price tag is high but its because its the nature of the project and the way the project is managed along with the cost of talent and material in the US is higher. Many people fail to grasp the nature of such projects behind the scenes.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

I have 3 or 4 pairs somewhere

Just gotta find them

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

reply to post by Awen24

Please inform yourself before wrongly criticising a fantastic project and programme.
I already mentioned this to several critics of the project. Sure the price tag is high but its because its the nature of the project and the way the project is managed along with the cost of talent and material in the US is higher. Many people fail to grasp the nature of such projects behind the scenes.

I STILL dont understand why people complain about a $2.6B budget spread over 10 years for science, but are entirely fine with a TRILLION budget for wars. This' the reason our planet is screwed up, right here!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
S&F.

black and white pics aside. its amazing to think, "this is another planet". its one thing to see it through a telescope, nowhere near it. but pics ON THE GROUND is pretty sweet. keep em coming as you get em.

thanks.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinTruth

And then what? Will it help planet Earth??? How is this mission benefiting us? Why are we so fascinated with life on other planets; and care so little about life on this one? The same people that start wars, are the same people that runs NASA. So, how does this benefit you and me???

I could only imagine what life would be like, if we used all this technology to enhance our lives. Instead of going to mars, how about we find a cure for cancer????

Or we could divert some of the TRILLIONS of dollars the Pentagon spends on blowing people up into something a little more productive - such as finding a cure for cancer AND funding the space program!

If you add up how much money the entire space program has cost to send every rocket, satellite, rover and man into space since the beginning of the space program, it adds up to roughly what the Pentagon spends in 8 weeks.

Priorities? Methinks people are getting this ass-backwards.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24
I don't understand how it is that $200 billion only buys you a black and white camera these days.
I really don't.

Why dont you go and find out about the cameras there are 17 cameras on this NOT that you could be a%$£" to find out!!!

Oh and its $2.5 billon you couldn't even get that right!
edit on 9-8-2012 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
Why would it take a year to get to the base of the mountain? How fast (or slow) does Curosity go?
I'm assuming it's because they only drive a few feet or so, take pics, a sample or two, then move on?

It take's slightly over 13 mins for the signal to reach it how fast would you drive your car if your wheels turned 13 mins after you turned the steering wheel!!!!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
Originally posted by hp1229
reply to post by Awen24

Please inform yourself before wrongly criticising a fantastic project and programme. I already mentioned this to several critics of the project. Sure the price tag is high but its because its the nature of the project and the way the project is managed along with the cost of talent and material in the US is higher. Many people fail to grasp the nature of such projects behind the scenes.

I STILL dont understand why people complain about a $2.6B budget spread over 10 years for science, but are entirely fine with a TRILLION budget for wars. This' the reason our planet is screwed up, right here!

It shows the decline in the education system (science based) vs others. More and more people are asking the same question but fail to see the other expenses that surpass many trillions of dollars every year for the US tax payers. Many fail to realize that such scientific achievements is what made many of the technologies (not all of them harmful nor all of them useful but majority of them are beneficial) possible that we enjoy and take it for granted.
edit on 9-8-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I know if that bunch you refered to controlled things we would all be called Ugg, live in caves and dress in fur.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join