It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flawless second day on Mars for Curiosity, high-res pic (including R/B 3D)

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Originally posted by Komodo

how about fixing...

our US economy for one~!!!!!

Cool! Great idea!
How? With $2.5 billion?

Should all the NASA employees and all the employees of all the subcontractors be laid off? That should help, right?

edit on 8/10/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)
I guess according to him/her, who needs satellites for cell phones, gps, weather, tv, etc etc and space science that made it happen in the first place
/sarcasm

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I don't think people fully grasp what is going on.

We have a moving camera on ANOTHER PLANET !

We get to see what is happening , on a planet that none of us have have a chance of ever getting to.

Just the fact that we are there is amazing. I don't understand how people can just shrug something like this off , as if it is not that big of a deal.

Think about it for a few minutes....imagine getting an opportunity to be on another planet, if only for 10 minutes....

WE are one step closer to having people, walking amongst the rover on Mars.

It looks very similar to Earth, in that I've always felt that all planets like earth and mars were habitable. It just feels like it is.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
And you think thousands of more people losing their jobs is a good place to start?
You have an interesting outlook.

Don't get sucked in by them. Let them have their opinions, let them have their glory on a forum but DO NOT get sucked in by them.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by drakus

Science isn't bad, just that if left unchecked it tends to go off to other planets when we need to have the money here to fix the problems with the one we have. Maybe the Arabs like looking at sand dunes but not me. The Military costs are a bigger problem but it is addressing all projects that aren't necessary that is the main fix. I see a lot of roads and bridges replaced that don't need it, a little preventive maintenance is not done so they get real bad and a grant is applied for to replace them. Meanwhile other repair projects don't have funding. If we got rid of all the city managers who are trained to apply for federal funding, the country would be better off. If we passed laws protecting the cities from lawsuits that's another plus. Make every person working for the cities have personal liability insurance paid by themselves. If they mess up their personal premium goes up. Less risky people will want to work government jobs and the taxpayer saves a bundle. I could go on and on with thousands of things but this thread is about Curiosity.

So if we (or rather NASA) said no more exploration. Do you really think that the much smaller than 1% who have stashed away [30trillion in offshore untaxed accounts will turn around and say : well done that's what we wanted to see now we will eliminate the western global situation overnight by pumping back TRILLIONS into the economy.

The cost of Mars is peanuts compared to the cost of corporate greed. In addition the NASA project has resulted in the money going to contractors and thus re-cycling in the economy. The" hidden from the taxman" TRILLIONS is dead money doing nothing except bankrupting the economy is has been extracted from.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Is there a troll free environment somewhere around here? I left the Curiosity has landed thread and came here hoping it would be better... But of course people are still ruining it with OT nonsense.

If you don't find rocks interesting, why are you here?

If you think the cost is such a big deal, why do you refuse to acknowledge that it's peanuts in comparison to the cost of war and the yearly defense budget? It's like being mad at a restaurant for their prices but only making a fuss about the cost of their beverages and completely ignoring their $50 cheeseburgers.

Someone please start a "OMG we spent $2.5 billion and landed the rover in Arizona" thread and maybe they'll stop posting here lol.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24
I don't understand how it is that $200 billion only buys you a black and white camera these days.
I really don't.

It doesn't, NASA falsifies the color on purpose. Mars, from the surface, in true color does not look like a total red planet, nor does the sky/atmosphere appear dead and white, that just what they give us. You can find true color photo's of Mars and the Moon online pretty easy.. What do they gain by doing this, I have no idea.

jra

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by IamMe14

Well hopefully this will help make the thread a little better.

I'm not sure if its been posted yet, but here's a cool site I just found: mars.jpl.nasa.gov... (NOTE: it requires a 3D plug-in)

It shows Curiosity's current position at Gale crater and I do believe they will continue to update it as its position changes. You can also explore the crater itself or go into "free-range" mode and drive around.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I still don't get all the fuss over this latest Mars probe.

Haven't we been getting data and colour pics from Mars since 1976 ?

What's so sht hot and different about this one ?
edit on 10-8-2012 by Littlejohnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

My apologies, it's just when I read so many comments of other people saying this is some sort of expensive waste of time, I sort of forget someone may be using some humour now and then!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by PunchingBag80

The angle of them are slightly different as well, so yes, I think they are part of a 3D picture.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

I did not fill in the text. It is a NASA picture.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

As far as I know, this is not an official NASA picture, just a concept drawing from a random artist.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jra

Thank you very much for posting that. Not been done so far

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This is one of the coolest things of all time. I watched the whole shabang and it was exciting. The more I keep getting updates the more I feel that planet is more like Earth than most think. I hope we can find some form of living life, that would just be I don't even now.

We have a legimate sized machine that shows we could shoot the weight of a small mission with humans to Mars, thats what I am getting the most out of this, it is very possible.

I'll b glued to this topic.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

I don't either, most are too programmed into robots themselves to understand we actually have one on another planet.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Some more pictures.
It really looks like an old dried up sea bed.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Yeah it does, I wonder if they are taking samples or looking for a spot that could tell the story of that area.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadRising

Someone else in this thread wrote that the crater in which Curiosity landed, is the best place to see Mars history.
So I guess this spot could tell the story of the entire planet.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jra

Yes that's very cool, thanks for posting that. Currently playing around on the site, there's some good info on there. I didn't realize just how big that crater is, it's huge.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Lets hope so, im anxious to see how similar it was/is same with live or past organisms. I think they may find life a good chance, just my gut feeling. Just spent some time on the mobile app and the site itself, pretty exciting!

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join