It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flawless second day on Mars for Curiosity, high-res pic (including R/B 3D)

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoveisanArt
reply to post by rickymouse

My friend, there is no point in arguing with these people... you know whats in important for humanity and America. These sheep think desert planets are cool, because its a minor escape from the real reality they face everyday. Let the science geeks get kicks out of dead soil, boring rocks and months of desert, you and I will just have faith the planet takes it easy on us through this shift...

~ Love is an art

Goes to show you haters are gonna hate

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Yes, we are the sheep, we who believe in exploration, discovery, knowledge and critical thinking...
What a bunch of mindless drones we are!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by Awen24

$200 billion? The probe and mission is costing an estimated $2.5 billion.

www.newsdaily.com...

ahhh.. only 2.5billion..

yea.. it's chump change isn't .. while the US economy is sinking like the Titanic with no end in sight

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic
Here you can see where all the parts landed.

odd..

I only see black dots.. can you plz tell me how EXACTLY you know what these are by just looking at the pic??

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by drakus
Yes, we are the sheep, we who believe in exploration, discovery, knowledge and critical thinking...
What a bunch of mindless drones we are!

We are mindless, ignorant and dumb because we don't get our information from Coast2Coast

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Artist concept depicting the touchdown, and not a real picture.
But still a nice one. It really makes one appreciate all that have been done.

edit on 9-8-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

well..

did NASA release a video of them testing this little toy out before they released this CGI version ??

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
Would someone please explain to me; why we sent (curiosity) to Mars? What are the purposes of this?

How will any of this help mankind on earth?

this is ...

what I've been saying ALL along as well..

there's NOTHING on Mars of any interest IMO....

I can almost hear the conversations @ NASA....

"oh .. wait.. what's that~!? " ....
"nothing... it's a Rock..?"
"wait.. look there~!.. What's that..!?"
"nothing.. just another rock..."
".....what about that.. looks like a crater.~!"
"yeeep...that's a crater......"

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthOej

what else can we do if we put our minds to it. I realize that sounds corny, but it is honestly how I feel.

how about fixing...

our US economy for one~!!!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Fresh pictures!
So far only thumbnails released.

yep ..

they sure look like rocks to me !

edit on 10-8-2012 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo

Originally posted by caladonea
Would someone please explain to me; why we sent (curiosity) to Mars? What are the purposes of this?

How will any of this help mankind on earth?

this is ...

what I've been saying ALL along as well..

there's NOTHING on Mars of any interest IMO....

I can almost hear the conversations @ NASA....

"oh .. wait.. what's that~!? " ....
"nothing... it's a Rock..?"
"wait.. look there~!.. What's that..!?"
"nothing.. just another rock..."
".....what about that.. looks like a crater.~!"
"yeeep...that's a crater......"

The key word here being:

IMO....

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
will the rover be travelling to them mountains in the distance? surely they would find more exciting things there?

"there be gold in them hills"...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LoveisanArt

We have such a beautiful planet here, full of life and they are admiring pictures of a desert planet where living would be miserable.
And I am the one who isn't normal for being enthused about it's cost

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo

how about fixing...

our US economy for one~!!!!!

Cool! Great idea!
How? With $2.5 billion?

Should all the NASA employees and all the employees of all the subcontractors be laid off? That should help, right?

edit on 8/10/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by LoveisanArt

We have such a beautiful planet here, full of life and they are admiring pictures of a desert planet where living would be miserable. And I am the one who isn't normal for being enthused about it's cost

But why do you think both goals are mutually exclusive?
Weapons research seem more contradictory with humanitarian development than scientific research, no?
And no one (well, not me) is saying you are not normal, I just don't agree with the proposition.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Absolutely stunning images.

To be able to sit from home on a computer and look at a full 360 degree panorama of a different planet is pretty spectacular. Man, this is awesome.

S&F.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

Science isn't bad, just that if left unchecked it tends to go off to other planets when we need to have the money here to fix the problems with the one we have. Maybe the Arabs like looking at sand dunes but not me. The Military costs are a bigger problem but it is addressing all projects that aren't necessary that is the main fix. I see a lot of roads and bridges replaced that don't need it, a little preventive maintenance is not done so they get real bad and a grant is applied for to replace them. Meanwhile other repair projects don't have funding. If we got rid of all the city managers who are trained to apply for federal funding, the country would be better off. If we passed laws protecting the cities from lawsuits that's another plus. Make every person working for the cities have personal liability insurance paid by themselves. If they mess up their personal premium goes up. Less risky people will want to work government jobs and the taxpayer saves a bundle. I could go on and on with thousands of things but this thread is about Curiosity.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You gotta start somewhere Phage and it might as well be with things that aren't necessary.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
To the people who are crying foul about the mission and it's $2 billion price-tag, do you know how much money is spent a day to fund wars?

costofwar.com...

That should put things into perspective for ya'.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

reply to post by drakus

Science isn't bad, just that if left unchecked it tends to go off to other planets when we need to have the money here to fix the problems with the one we have. Maybe the Arabs like looking at sand dunes but not me. The Military costs are a bigger problem but it is addressing all projects that aren't necessary that is the main fix. I see a lot of roads and bridges replaced that don't need it, a little preventive maintenance is not done so they get real bad and a grant is applied for to replace them. Meanwhile other repair projects don't have funding. If we got rid of all the city managers who are trained to apply for federal funding, the country would be better off. If we passed laws protecting the cities from lawsuits that's another plus. Make every person working for the cities have personal liability insurance paid by themselves. If they mess up their personal premium goes up. Less risky people will want to work government jobs and the taxpayer saves a bundle. I could go on and on with thousands of things but this thread is about Curiosity.

Yes, but, again, the ratio of money "wasted" on science vs the money wasted on war crap is absurd.
Trust me, if you reduced your military spending by, say, 25%, you wouldn't even be thinking about the 2.5bn. invested in the MSL.
And I agree that stabilizing the economy, creating jobs and improving education and health for everyone is vital, but you are NOT going to be able to do it even if you used 100% of NASA's budget. Maybe even with the military budget as well.
What needs to change is the system, not the details. (but that's just my personal opinion)

PS: And science, wherever it happens, adds to the betterment of society, as some other members wrote. All scientific advance is inter-related to every part of our knowledge.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

reply to post by Phage

You gotta start somewhere Phage and it might as well be with things that aren't necessary.

And you think thousands of more people losing their jobs is a good place to start?
You have an interesting outlook.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join