It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People of many faiths joined to support Muslims whose Joplin mosque burned down (some good news)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
People of many faiths joined to support Muslims whose Joplin mosque burned down

JOPLIN -- All was quiet outside a Joplin church on Wednesday evening, but inside the building Ramona Shields was busy preparing for some special guests: Muslims.

St. Philip's Episcopal Church was hosting an interfaith iftar, where Muslims will break their Ramadan fast and then pray in a room the church is providing.

Click link for remainder of article...

edit on 9-8-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
While the destruction of the Mosque is not good news, the reaction of the community thus far is. It seems it is indeed possible for people of differing faiths / cultures to pull together to help each other through trying times.

Every now and then its nice to get a reality check that we are all affected by the same problems and in the end we are all human and only by pulling together can we make it through to the otherside.

The invitation comes after the Islamic Center of Joplin burned down on Monday. The outreach is heart warming to those who not only lost their house of worship, but also felt somewhat unwelcome after an arsonist set fire to their mosque on July 4.

"I feel like we are welcome here. Reassuring us that we are not alone in it and the community has shown that we are all in this together," explained mosque member Rizwam Ahmad.

Until the ashes are cleared and new walls rise, they will have friends by their side. They said their religious faiths may be different, but that's not driving them apart.

"When you go human to human, you learn about people and some of those preconceived notions just fly away," said Shields.

Members of the Jewish faith also attended the iftar.

Joplin residents will rally in support of the Islamic Society of Joplin on Saturday, August 25, at 6:30 p.m., in Landreth Park.

"The moment we break faith with one another, the sea engulfs us and the light goes out."
- James Baldwin

edit on 9-8-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
That's wonderful! S&F

Humans accepting each other just as they are with no 'ifs and buts' - I never thought I'd live to see it
It just goes to show that it really is possible to all live together without fighting over religion and culture.

I want to go live in Joplin

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Good start, now Christians, Jews and Muslim should join together and kick the crap out of the Buddhist....smug gits.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll
That's wonderful! S&F

Humans accepting each other just as they are with no 'ifs and buts' - I never thought I'd live to see it
It just goes to show that it really is possible to all live together without fighting over religion and culture.

I want to go live in Joplin

Some things are worth fighting for even if most are not.

The real problem is that Muslims/Islam are frequently tied to Sharia law. Having a backwards legal system backing up a primitive culture results in nonsense like cutting off body parts, oppressive conduct to women, honor killings, killing homosexuals .... the list goes on and on. Islam is a cult and needs to be labeled as such.

While I certainly do not condone burning down their mosques, I certainly would not pitch in to help after-the-fact. This cult is a cancer on the world.

edit on 9-8-2012 by jcarpenter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Update -

Joplin mosque raises half its rebuilding goal in 2 days

A fundraising campaign for the fire-ravaged Joplin, Missouri mosque has raised half its rebuilding goal in only two days.

The mosque has raised $126,000 of its $250,000 goal in an online campaign that's attracted nearly 1,000 donors, many of them anonymous.

top topics

join