It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Probe into Afghan vote is announced

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The United Nations has been asked to investigate into alleged irregularities and miscounts in the Afghanistan"s Presidential election. The investigation was sparked off due to delays counting the ballots and internal strife and malpractice calls from other candidates and voters. All allegations must be handed in to the UN panel by 1430 GMT on wednesday.

news.bbc.co.uk
Afghanistan"s Joint Electoral Management Body (JEMB) says ballot boxes in areas where complaints have been made will be isolated and checked so that officials can start counting the rest of the votes.

They will examine all serious allegations of malpractice at the polls - not just complaints that indelible ink aimed at stopping multiple voting failed to work in many areas.

The Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) - which contributed to the 230 foreign monitors for the polls - acknowledged that there were some irregularities during the poll that should be investigated.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

We all knew there would be some sort of problems when a election of this size in a country with such a troubled history in politics and military.

The people are not satisfied that the voting was fair, they are not satisfied that it was counted correctly. Even the outside investigator and observers had doubts about the whole fairness into the election.

Hopefully in time the investigation will come up with the serious problems and remedy an answer to them quickly. But i agree with the observers, something has happened and the voting should be redone under stricter guidelines and watch.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
It isn't surprising that the Afghans are having problems with their elections. I mean just look at the United States. Look at Florida. Remember it's not who casts the votes, it's who counts them.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Whoa, funny how afghanistans are screaming fraud, well perhaps is true, lets do elections all over again

I can wait for the Iraqi elections

Specially if Al-Sadr is in the ballot.

[edit on 11-10-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
some ATSNN related links from the past few days on this, The last I heard about this was that after the elections. 40 people had died in fighting just after the elections had finished and people caused an upset over Ink.
Afghan Polls Close Peacefully,
Huge Afghan poll attack 'foiled'

top topics

join