It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visit the very first web page.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Fun stuff!

Anyone ever subscribe and connect to BBSs?

BBSs often had similar interfaces that were text only, and instead of browsing to them over the internet, you connected to them directly over a telephone modem where depending on the capacity of the BBS, you could interact with other people also connected at the same time.

For anyone interested, there's still BBS sites alive and active that can be connected to old-school via modem, or over telnet:
Telnet BBS sites

edit on 9-8-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

A great number of the first people to build and browse the internet would still be alive today.

Thanks for making me officially feel like a fossil, in my late 40's.

I was just a baby when these first web pages were being built but imagine being one of those people who have lived to see it go from that simple text page to what it is today...

It's been kind of sad, in a way, to watch something that was really cool and open in the beginning, be turned into commercialized dancing billboards for the masses with the main goal of creating profiles on users so companies can sell you stuff you don't need.

I suppose, the positives outweigh the negatives though.

ATS is still cool.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I indeed have lots of 3 & half floppy disks with things from the 1984 to 1990's of our screens, big problem is I cannot view the disks as my PC & Laptop have no floppy disk drives these days, but I can tell you that we wrote our very own Modem internet software and sold it world-wide in 1984 to let people log on to our own BBS as well as Prestel, & Micronet servers, you could book flights, trains, see what's on TV/Radio stations in the UK, no matter where you lived in europe and USA you could see these sites (inc Cloour pictures and movies.
If you wished to join Prestel or Micronet there was a yearly charge of about £30 each service, our own BBS was free World-Wide.
It is odd to me that this guy who said HE invented the internet had forgot us as we built and sold Modems world-wide under the Link name.
Compuserve followed close behind us too with there own Colour Internet system, I even joined them in 1987, when they closed they put all members over to AOL which I use still today.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Alternative4u

It is odd to me that this guy who said HE invented the internet had forgot us as we built and sold Modems world-wide under the Link name.

That's not at all what he is saying. This thread is about the first web page on the Internet, not the Internet itself.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Just so folk dont think I am dreaming, see the Link here about the very first web pages and servers, the Internet certainly did not start in 1992, I have def proof of that here in this Link, as I was working with them long before 1991 when that guy said the net started, it is a lie.
See the proper start of the Internet in the UK at this link below.

nitecloak.wordpress.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
always been wondering about the "im feeling lucky" button
freakin useless .. i always use the first one "google search"

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Alternative4u

No one thinks you're dreaming. But what you are describing is not www.

This is...

By Christmas 1990, Berners-Lee had built all the tools necessary for a working Web: the HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP) 0.9, the HyperText Markup Language (HTML), the first Web browser (named WorldWideWeb, which was also a Web editor), the first HTTP server software (later known as CERN httpd), the first web server (info.cern.ch...), and the first Web pages that described the project itself

Source

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
My bad if someone mentioned this already, but does anyone remember what it cost to use the internet in the mid 90's? I can remember in 95 going onto the Internet for the first time from my friends IBM and paying something like 50 or 60 dollars for 500 minutes of access through aol, and depending on where your dial up connection was in relation to your location, also paying phone charges for those minutes used.

My buddy and I went over that limit within a weekend and his parents wouldn't let us back online til next months billing cycle because their bill was around 200 dollars for our weekend joyride.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by BigBossWorm

ISP charges really depended on where you were, what ISPs were available, and how you went about getting online.

Some ISPs charged by the minute, or hour like AOL (do they even exist anymore?), while others just charged a monthly fee for unlimited connectivity with your super fast 14.4kbs modem.

Everyone that could try to make money off of signing up subscribers was in the game and charging whatever they could reliably get from their customer base.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Uhm, Let's see.......

300 baud modem? Check.

7 1/4 floppy? Check.

RS-232 interface? Check.

Ribit BBS? Check.

Aceterm and Eagleterm to find a BBS? Check.

Yeah, you bring back memories. I may go back further than you!

We are both pre-internet dinosaurs.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
Fun stuff!

Anyone ever subscribe and connect to BBSs?

BBSs often had similar interfaces that were text only, and instead of browsing to them over the internet, you connected to them directly over a telephone modem where depending on the capacity of the BBS, you could interact with other people also connected at the same time.

For anyone interested, there's still BBS sites alive and active that can be connected to old-school via modem, or over telnet:
Telnet BBS sites

Those were the days! I remember waiting to download a pic of a naked woman so long that I fell asleep at my computer and my mom walked in and saw it on the screen. She told me than that the Internet was the DEVIL!
Now I have to worry about my teenage sons getting instant access with their smart phones. Maybe she was right.

edit on 8/10/2012 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I remember using Compuserve and feeling that I was an internet God. I had a 75 meg hard drive and the guy who built my first computer told me that I would never need anything bigger that that.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by amraks

bleeeep screeech beep beep screeeech click click beeeeep click screeeech , oh yah i remember hahahah always hated when someone was on computer and didnt tell me lol. the good ol days

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

yah sorry couldnt remember type of monitor, and it was mostly a lil j/k ^^

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Those were the days!!! Looking for cheat codes on happypuppy haha. My cousin and I talk about this all the time. We feel lucky to be born when we were. Our generation watched the internet come and grow, cell phones that don't look like bricks, tablets, mp3 players etc... we watched it come into the mainstream.

Young enough to enjoy major benefits our parents didn't have but old enough to still remember the good old days of playing outside and not having a cell phone until you really needed one, you know, not in middle school, definitely not elementary. Having to use a pay phone to call your dad to pick you and your friends up from the arcade.

I'd also like to mention though that we also feel royally screwed. Our generation didn't get any of the actual living benefits the generations before us did. You know, like affordable tuition, rent, food, energy and a government still not out of control. Atleast not blatantly.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join