It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visit the very first web page.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Ok, its not an exact replica, but very very close to the original.

t was more than two decades ago that the first web page launched, and if you're curious what the web looked like back in 1991, CERN has preserved that original site for your perusing pleasure. Created by Tim Berners-Lee on a NeXT computer, the site was a place to find information about the new and exciting World Wide Web — "a wide-area hypermedia information retrieval initiative aiming to give universal access to a large universe of documents," as it was described.

Here is the link to the first web page!

I know, its not very exciting compared to what we get today.

The preserved version has been around for some time, but isn't an exact replica, however. CERN says that it's a copy from 1992, and that "changes were made daily to the information available on the page as the WWW project developed." Sadly no screenshots exist of the original page. Still, while it's lacking in modern features like, say, images, it's a nice reminder of how much the web has grown in a relatively short time, and a great example of preservation in the digital age.

Just a nice bit of nostalgia. Amazing how far we have come.

Source

vvv

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
wouldnt we need a crt monitor to really be viewd correctly? ^^ as in green and black, or orange and black on some 8o)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
How about this?

type the url into the box and it takes you to any site that was snap shotted.

web.archive.org...://abovetopsecret.com/forum/today.php

Check out the rest of the Internet Archive, it's a very good research tool.
edit on 9-8-2012 by abdel because: Link didn't work properly

edit on 9-8-2012 by abdel because: neither did the seond one

edit on 9-8-2012 by abdel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Wow, horribly invalid HTML now but what do you expect. Pretty cool, we've come a long way.

Google in 1996
edit on 9-8-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
Wow, horribly invalid HTML now but what do you expect. Pretty cool, we've come a long way.
Actually there's nothing really too wrong with it. Except for a few missing quotation marks around attribute values I can't really see too much else wrong with it...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
You know when I think about the age of the internet it really amazes me how far we've come in so little time. A great number of the first people to build and browse the internet would still be alive today. I was just a baby when these first web pages were being built but imagine being one of those people who have lived to see it go from that simple text page to what it is today... it really does boggle the mind to see how advanced it is now, yet know how young the internet actually is in the grand scheme of things. It's like a baby child beginning to take it's first real steps when you think about.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Actually there's nothing really too wrong with it. Except for a few missing quotation marks around attribute values I can't really see too much else wrong with it...

There's a lot wrong with it by today's standards.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

The fact that the tags are capitalized really doesn't matter, that's still valid HTML. The fact that tags and attributes have been spread over multiple lines is perfectly allowed, HTML isn't a line by line language. The fact that it uses some weird tags means nothing because those tags were probably perfectly valid at the time in the browser being used to interpret the HTML.
edit on 9/8/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Google in 1996

Those were the days, before they drank from the devils cup and became yet another disgusting, evil company.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Wow, amazing over time how you forget how basic the web actually was, but even then it seemed amazing.....

Then you were waiting to get online, waiting ages for a page to evolve onto the monitor.....

and still we moan...........hahahaha

Great, cheers...........

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Wow, amazing over time how you forget how basic the web actually was, but even then it seemed amazing.....

Then you were waiting to get online, waiting ages for a page to evolve onto the monitor.....

and still we moan...........hahahaha

Great, cheers...........

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I have been confused about this first internet web thing for years, I am not able to see how the first Internet started in 1991 by the guy who claims this, why? well because I and 6 mates from UK, Norway, Iraq, Germany were involved in building web pages in full colour on Sony MSX 2 computers with 3 & half inch floppy disks, MSDOS and a 300 baud-1200 baud telephone modem working between us and we started doing in 1n 1984 with MSX 1 Computers, we built a massive Computer club in 1981 called MSX Link International and we posted by mail our own printed mag to 28 Countries inc USA/Russia, Iran, Kuwait, Norway, Spain, Holland, Germany UK, plus others, our web page went live with Sales/Wants/Contests, Software releases in 1984 on Prestel, and the what was called The Super Highway, how the heck has all that been forgotten? even the BBC & British Air Ways & UK British rail had time tables on at that time too.
Okay maybe the name Internet was designed as late as 1991 and they chose to think it was a new name so they invented it fresh under that name, but it was old hat by then for us babes in the game in the early 80s.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
http:// www.w3.org/History/ 19921103-hypertext/hypertext/ DataSources/WWW/Servers.html

www.w3.org... urces/WWW/Servers.html

I've put spaces in on purpose, but this page is fascinating too, the first web servers.

I'm going to go see if any are still up!

Kewl thread, thanks!!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Alternative4u

Was your network available world wide via the telephone network? If not then all you did was set up a local computer network and not a World Wide Web.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Alternative4u

Mate, would be great if you could show us some of those early screens, and this kinda "mini web" you and your mates build.

I would be very interested to hear and see more of this.

vvv

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
just a thought, is this public web page, because didn't computers connect with the old telephony system, pic receiver up and put down on weird thing that listened to beeps and all you saw was text or word processor pictograms lol and us gov was using a www before us weren't they? i dunno i was young but i coulda sworn i remember seeing that at my dads work or were those all closed systems?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~
wouldnt we need a crt monitor to really be viewd correctly? ^^ as in green and black, or orange and black on some 8o)

WHAT???

Are you joking? LOL...when I was in high school (graduated in 1992) you could get SVGA quite easily. CGA and EGA had already phased out, and VGA was the newly-being-phased-out standard. I mean, you could find a monochrome monitor still (that is what you call that monitor you were trying to describe), but only places like parts shops had them in use to run their point of sale system or inventory database (usually an integrated system even back then).

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ~widowmaker~

That was dial up internet, they weren't closed systems they was pretty much exposed to the internet inless you was behind a isdn router.

Software would dial up a local call ISP and drop a authentication tone, then you would be connected to the internet.
after that the modem would be silent, but if you picked up your phone line you would hear data beeping and white noise.

Those where the days back in the 90's.

I remember hearing it for the first time around 1997.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

The fact that the tags are capitalized really doesn't matter, that's still valid HTML. The fact that tags and attributes have been spread over multiple lines is perfectly allowed, HTML isn't a line by line language. The fact that it uses some weird tags means nothing because those tags were probably perfectly valid at the time in the browser being used to interpret the HTML.
edit on 9/8/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

I said by today's standards. It's completely irrelevant but I was just saying. It uses invalid tags and formatting, and it's missing requirements. I know capitalization doesn't matter, I'm a web developer.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Nice find, Star and Flag.

We have come such a long way in about no time at all. It would be interesting to know where we really are in terms of secret technologies.

I remember working on those black and orange screens as a young receptionist, trying to master DOS. Look what we have today.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join