It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You know.,. Old people really....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Most dcn't know but for the past decade, or so, I've been very much active in trying to care for my mother since she's now in her seventies, This seems like something that would be a natural part of life and a responsibility that any son would take upon himself.... After all, the woman birthed me ( or at least that's the story I got and the whole family's been sticking to it for years. But let me tell you something,,,

If Darth Vader and The Wicked Witch of the West had a baby - IT would fear my mother!

Have you ever seen the movie "Throw Momma From The Train"? Well multiply THAT woman by about twenty and you've got a fair idea of what I put up with on a daily basis.

And this was all good and tolerable ( with the help of a LOT of medication and Crown Royal ) right up until Mumra the Everliving ( as I effectionately call her ) decided that she wanted to be "hip" and got herself onto the Internet and bought an iPhone. Now my life is Hell.

Old people should be banned from technology! I mean seriously... some army should come into her home, confiscate her electronics, take away her microwave, coffee maker, and her new laundry set because I get at least fifteen to twenty calls per day to come "fix" things that aren't broken.

One example: She called me to say her Yahoo mail broke. Knowing that this is impossibe I drove to her house to see what she was doing wrong - so I asked her to log onto her account so that I could figure it all out... She proceeds to go to the URL bar and type in "email" followed by her username and password. Then she pushes enter.So I spend about two hours explaining things to her, writing it all down so that she has reference materials, and I go home. Two days later I get a call saying it's still "broken"... show up... same exact situation.

Now I can cope with the reality that she drives 19 miles an hour on the freeway. I can almost deal with the fact that when I take her shopping she spends hours picking up every single item in the store, saying "Twenty years ago this cost eight dollars less - this store is a rip-off"... I can even make it through the lectures she gives me about how upset she is I am not a virgin ( I'm 46 freaking years old with two ex wives and kids )... but the tech stuff???

Is it too late to start lobbyin for the whole Logans Run "Carousel" idea???

~Heff

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
No bring Logans run in, by all means, um, your 46, over 30s get the chop.

Bye bye Hefficide!

Why not have your Mum live with you, then you don't need to do all that fack and borward stuff.

It's your Mom!

P

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
As soon as I reach the age where Ill be a burden to my family, Ill start doing crazy crap, skydiving, hunting lions, bungee jumping, heroin... you know crazy stuff.

If I die, oh well at least I had fun and wouldn't be a burden.

I used to joke with my parents that I would find them a 20/20 retirement home if they didn't behave in their old age.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

I did mention the part where she's evil incarnate, right?

I actually did try to let her live with me in 2006 - she assaulted my (then) girlfriend, I mean an old woman beating on a young woman wasn't dangerous and was actually kind of funny to watch - but it was a problem!

I do love my mom and will continue to be her on call tech support... but I'll also continue to mumble under my breath and come home to a stiff drink afterwards!

~Heff

Oh and the Logans Run thing... Yeah I know 30 was the cut off... but I was thinking that the risk/reward might still make it worthwhile! lol
edit on 8/9/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by pheonix358

I did mention the part where she's evil incarnate, right?

I actually did try to let her live with me in 2006 - she assaulted my (then) girlfriend, I mean an old woman beating on a young woman wasn't dangerous and was actually kind of funny to watch - but it was a problem!

I do love my mom and will continue to be her on call tech support... but I'll also continue to mumble under my breath and come home to a stiff drink afterwards!

~Heff

Oh and the Logans Run thing... Yeah I know 30 was the cut off... but I was thinking that the risk/reward might still make it worthwhile! lol
edit on 8/9/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

I feel for you, as someone dealing with two elderly in the house hold the frustration can be enough to pop a vessel.

I couldn't even tell you the situations my father has gotten into with his laptop I gave him, probably violate T&S .

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I hate that "I remember back when I used to get a burger for a nickle" stuff......LOL!

No seriously though, being as she's elderly, and sounds like she lives alone, maybe she's just lonely.
Just my opinion.....

And her bugging you is her way of saying she's still here. No matter how annoying.
Payback for your wild younger days maybe???

[just kidding]

As far as technology stuff goes, no way should she have any!!
Should be an age limit on it...

Overall though, you sound like you are doing a good job looking after her. Funny how the tables get turned around as life goes on.

They take care of us growing up....then we take care of them when they get older.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I feel for you I really do.

My family think I'm the part of the emergency services and on call 24/7

I persuaded my farther to buy a laptop and go on the internet. He has now met a woman and will be marrying her (inheritance down the drain) and also calls me night and day with silly questions about the web.

He is at that stage were he tells the same story's over and over and is gradually losing touch with reality

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   

If Darth Vader and The Wicked Witch of the West had a baby - IT would fear my mother!

HA!! What a vivid imagination....

Sorry but I'm having a mental freeze on that one.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by judus

Yeah,,, that is the hardest part... to see them starting to fade. When they start repeating themselves,losing things, and the beginnings of dementia start it makes it really tough.

I have total sympathy for your situation and can totally relate! Thanks for sharing!

~Heff

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

I'm not trying to offend, but look up "Adult Children of Narcissists" my mother is alot like this, and when I googled this, and read the stories of ACON, I actually broke down. I usually was light hearted about her wreaking havoc on every aspect of my life, but deep down it bothered me.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by kat2684

I've reseached the same subject and came to the same kind of conclusions. My parents divorced when I was ten and my father was a diificult and complicated man. I think my mother simply trasferred her anger towards my dad and her ideas f his responsbility into me after they split. but the woman is definitely narcissistic.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

HooHa! Great Post. So you are experiencing this as well....
You could blog on forever, but lets face it, our beloved friends out there will not
have the slightest inkling of what is like until they experience it themselves.

God Help Them.

By the way, as I have been struggling through this emotional family dilemma myself
for some time, may I be so bold as to present for your consideration that sometimes
"Mom" deliberately messes with the works.
That way she gets your attention.

Old Folks Love Attention.
Just wait till she asks you to change a "depends"!
Now That will send you over the edge.
Keep The Puke Bucket Handy.

Comical Link: www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   

I'm 27 and as recently as 2 years ago, my mother would show up at my work, harass my boss, threaten me, always had impossible demands, once she punished me for 2 months in high school because I submitted a resume to Northrup Grumman but never got a response.

Narcissistic parents are no joke, they never stop the head games, hang in there and best of luck

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Old people should be banned from driving...

Seriously though...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I know young people who are just as bad with tech.hell a 36 year old I know keeps hounding me about how to text on a droid I sold him,for Christ's sake touch what you want on the screen.I consider him a tech retard,no matter bow many times I tell him it just doesn't sink in.
my grandmother became a right burden on my mother,really horrible to her even though she was here only kid who actually visited and helped her.she also used to press the emergency button linked to her phone in the middle of the night(for fun I think)then my mother would have to go see she was ok.only once had she actually had a fall.she was driving my mother to an early grave and it was like a weight had been lifted when she died,sad but true.thank God she wasn't into tech!
my mum is just as bad about tech,she is in her sixties and recently got an android.got that sick of her touching things she didn't understand that I turned off her data.I had to drum into her about the home and back button,she only makes calls now which makes my life easier.what is it about phones and people not being able to work simple functions?
I feel for you mate.
edit on 9/8/2012 by glen200376 because: usual,not checking predictive keyboard before posting

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Seriously though...
have you ever watched sir Jackie Stewart race?even to this day he still races at Goodwood etc.it's like the tech,people of all ages are crap at it.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I would just not jump every time she makes a demand like my email is broke come fix it. I think between that, and finding some computers for seniors classes at the local library or community college would help a lot.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Heya Heff, I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. It's frustrating to be sure. My grandmother went through this kind of madening behavior and to be honest when I look back on it now (she's been gone for a number of years) I sometimes wonder just how my Mom and I survived it. We found that humor, at times, helped a great deal to keep us sane.

I myself have a Mom in her 70's that has just discovered the wonders of the internet in the past year. Let's just say that it took 2 hours of over the phone 'Parental Tech Support' by me just to get her signed up for her gmail account!! Not to mention the countless hours of 'parental tech support' trying to show her just how to search the internet, pull up attached email files and so on. I felt (and still do feel at times) very much like the internet help desk guy in this 3 Dead Trolls in a Baggie video. While I know your situation is no laughing matter, I do hope at least this can make you smile perhaps even laugh as I am sure there are parts of this skit that you can well relate to:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Life is about, if nothing else, a shifting perspective upon life.
You had one view as an infant and that gradually shifted until you arrived at today.
Your mother has moved on from your view of today, and allowing for the time of her "today," it probably wasn't much different than your today.

I suspect you intended that OP in equal parts of humor and lament. Print it out. Save it. Put it on your 'fridge. Your time will come when your knowledge of computers, the internet and the world in general are useless baggage that interfers with your then undesirable and frightful position of being trapped in a world you didn't make or even dream about. May your children be as decent toward their male parent as you really are toward your mother. Humor toward life is sometimes better than trying to understand it.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376

Originally posted by daaskapital

Seriously though...
have you ever watched sir Jackie Stewart race?even to this day he still races at Goodwood etc.it's like the tech,people of all ages are crap at it.

There is no doubt however that Elderly people are more prone to accidents...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join