It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you ever in contradiction with your own philosophical thought?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

'I am' is said in present tense because only the present exists, only now is true. 'I was' and 'I will' be are mental projections - images made in the mind and believed to be true. Only now is true - only presence is true. In the presence all appearances appear and disappear. I am is always present.

In (my) presence all things appear and disappear but (my) presence was there before and after every appearance.

So, if I say "pizza" and two seconds pass, that means I never said it and it is a mental projection? I don't believe that. We know the past exists, we can look at photos which capture the past for future and now moments. We can also look at artifacts and ruins.

Now is the only time where ACTION is available yes. But to say that past and future does not exist is simply not true.

If only Now exist, there would be no such thing as "day" and "night", we measure this through contrasting the previous and current movements of the spinning of the earth.
edit on 9-8-2012 by arpgme because: more detail

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

I am means nothing and something which makes this.
This is.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

YES I wish to LOVE ALL* but sometimes feel ALL* wont love me

I wish to see/experience a universal PEACE between ALL CREATOR CREATIONS, but some CREATOR CREATIONS WILL NOT ACCEPT THIS FOR THEY FEEL SUPERIOR TO OTHERS

I LOVE to see LIGHT* BRIGHTENING THE WAY FOR MANY, but FEEL there ARE some who would rather keep many in dark

I feel MANY beings possess angelic and/or demonic ENERGIES in ration fashion ect. But I feel like I am 50% angelic in some of my ways for I feel if some wish to LOVE and SEEK PEACE PROTECT them and 50% demonic for I feel if there are energies who seek destruction then the demon in me feels why not destroy them send them

interesting OP arpgme

edit on 8/9/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Listen to Nathan Gill who explains it very well in this link;
youtu.be...

He explains the photo issue.
edit on 9-8-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

'I am' is said in present tense because only the present exists, only now is true. 'I was' and 'I will' be are mental projections - images made in the mind and believed to be true. Only now is true - only presence is true. In the presence all appearances appear and disappear. I am is always present.

In (my) presence all things appear and disappear but (my) presence was there before and after every appearance.

So, if I say "pizza" and two seconds pass, that means I never said it and it is a mental projection? I don't believe that. We know the past exists, we can look at photos which capture the past for future and now moments. We can also look at artifacts and ruins.

Now is the only time where ACTION is available yes. But to say that past and future does not exist is simply not true.

If only Now exist, there would be no such thing as "day" and "night", we measure this through contrasting the previous and current movements of the spinning of the earth.
edit on 9-8-2012 by arpgme because: more detail

I agree. Looking for a "present" is like looking for a point on a continuously rolling sphere. As soon as one thinks "this is the present" the moment he was alluding to is already in the past. In fact, anything that constitutes a "moment" or something like a snapshot of what was present, is already in the past.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

You are the present. You and now are inseparable.
'It is not now' cannot be spoken truthfully.

Thinking cannot locate now because thinking happens in now as now. Now is the container for all appearances, now is all appearance. Presence.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

You are the present. You and now are inseparable.
It is not now cannot be spoken.

I change every second. I am different than I was a millisecond ago. There is no snapshot of me I can call "I", as I'm constantly in the process of becoming.

There is no moment we can point to and call it "now." As soon as we think of the present, it is already past.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
There us a huge disparity in conscious
at ATS. I call it the thread killer.
Not so much in the philosophical forums but in the political ones.
And here is the rub.
Many many conservatives are Christian but when asked if they think
Jesus would vote for their candidate (Romney or Ron Paul) I get crickets.
Or a subject change like " Jesus can't vote!"
well no sh**.

I ask to hear the Jesus( Ron Paul) parable about "pulling yourself up by your sandal straps".
Or the parable for Romney of "Let the chariot makers fail !"

Dead thread, every time.
Because like it or not. If given a choice of Ron Paul Mitt Romney
or Barrack Obama for president .
Jesus is voting for Obama.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

The appearance is constantly changing. The one that sees the change does not change.
The appearance is noisey, the one that hears is silent.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I am an anti-war advocate, and feel that American Imperialism has damaged this Planet and its people.
I believe that what our Soldiers have been asked to do is not in the best interest's of the soldier's themselves, our nation, or the nations that we meddle in.

So the entire "support our troops" is something I wrestle with. Is "supporting the troops", supporting something I am vehemently against, war, occupations, Imperialism?

What I do support, is giving these kids who come back a huge support system, sadly we do not do enough to help these people on their return from overseas, and that is a crime!

So my dillema is balancing my humanitarian principles, with supporting the system that works against those principles. Make sense?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

The appearance is constantly changing. The one that sees the change does not change.

Anything that can see must change.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

reply to post by arpgme

youtu.be...

And this is where you and Nathan Gill deny truth (reality).

Sure the picture is APPEARING present, but it was NOW when I took the shot. In that moment, I was just aware of the present happening, just like now I am AWARE of my memory of that PAST event.

I AM thinking of previous I am moments.
I AM thinking of possible future moments.

Time does not exist, I agree, it is just movement. If you rewind a video tape, you will see all of the actions being reversed...

But to deny that there are future moments making this "Present Moment" is to deny nature/reality/truth/existence...

Imagine a film, that has all of the frames of a movie, but it is infinite so we are forever on it. The frame that we are on would be called "now", but that doesn't mean that there weren't previous frames or that the future frames will not be connected in someway to the past.

If "I AM" if "NOW" is so spontaneous, why is it always a conclusion of the past? That is something to think about...

Animals are more simple creatures and even that have a concept of "before" , "now" , or "later", this is how they learn through experience...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Act on what you learned in the past. Having no past is being lost. When lost you can find again. Please people don't give up living. Nothing is searching the present. Break through please. Walls make you lose sight of your fellow man. Time is also a healer. It can be quick.

You have been silent. You heard a lot of lies. Fight back! Take back what belongs to you!.. to you!...to you!....to you!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by PillarOfStrenght

You say that to have no past is to be lost. I say, to have no future is to never be lost. How could one be lost unless they are striving to go "somewhere"?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Isn't that what it means to be human?

Simply....yes.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
i'd say that all philosophy is philosophy and changes as new things are brought to light until u figure it all out. then it stops being a philosophy as it is no longer a theory or supposition. once all the creases have been ironed out and one lives in truth then there will be no contradiction.. nor any new information that would bring contradiction in the future.

that's the point it becomes "The Way and the Truth"

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

reply to post by arpgme

youtu.be...

And this is where you and Nathan Gill deny truth (reality).

Sure the picture is APPEARING present, but it was NOW when I took the shot. In that moment, I was just aware of the present happening, just like now I am AWARE of my memory of that PAST event.

I AM thinking of previous I am moments.
I AM thinking of possible future moments.

Time does not exist, I agree, it is just movement. If you rewind a video tape, you will see all of the actions being reversed...

But to deny that there are future moments making this "Present Moment" is to deny nature/reality/truth/existence...

Imagine a film, that has all of the frames of a movie, but it is infinite so we are forever on it. The frame that we are on would be called "now", but that doesn't mean that there weren't previous frames or that the future frames will not be connected in someway to the past.

If "I AM" if "NOW" is so spontaneous, why is it always a conclusion of the past? That is something to think about...

Animals are more simple creatures and even that have a concept of "before" , "now" , or "later", this is how they learn through experience...

Before and later are concepts created by the human mind for survival purposes in the now. In reality, there is only a great morphing of matter, flowing from here to there within itself. All of this happens in the now, even what we as humans would consider the past. In order for humans and many other living creatures to survive and procreate, we must learn from our previous states of being and what how the rest of existence responded to what we consider to be our personal part of existence, ourselves.

The human mind is what creates these, as you would say, illusions of a past or future. There is only the now and anything else is simply an illusion created by the mind to ensure its continued survival.

This is a very dangerous path of thought for many since it is counterintuitive to our basic survival needs as humans. It is a path that very easily leads to suicide since it strips all meaning from life.

This is where I personally contradict my own beliefs and give meaning to my own existence. I must play to my human ego, even though I know I am simply a part of the whole. To do otherwise is to die, for only death can end the illusions the mind creates. While within the great existence, death is not sad in any way, I choose to live simply because I wish to see more of the whole with this individual perspective that I perceive.

I know there is only the great churning of the now. I choose to live as a human with an eye and thought on the great churning with another on the beauty of being a thinking creature within it.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

-- Walt Whitman, "Song of Myself"

And, so do we all...

Understanding our inner multitudes is the mystery of life.

Our ideals and principles are in the realm of the abstract- valuable and even sacred as guiding lights in our lives. But we live in the world of particulars and the limitations of our own perspectives, so all we can do is do our best to honor our principles, and accept that they will sometimes seem to conflict.

Important though, that we stop to consider those conflicts, as we're doing in this thread.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

Anything that can see must change.

There is nothing but seeing and it is not a 'thing' that sees.
All seeing, all knowing and everpresent.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join