It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 100 Million Now Receiving Federal Welfare -- The Most Ever !

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
It looks like around 107 million people are receiving some form of Federal welfare !!

AND, that don't include Social Security or Medicare !!

1/3 of the U.S. population !!
(The figures include citizens and non-citizens)

Is this what YOU Really want for this country ??

It looks like Obama and the Democrats do....

The Weekly Standard -- Aug 8, 2012

A new chart set to be released later today by the Republican side of the Senate Budget Committee details a startling statistic: "Over 100 Million People in U.S. Now Receiving Some Form Of Federal Welfare."

"The federal government administers nearly 80 different overlapping federal means-tested welfare programs," the Senate Budget Committee notes. However, the committee states, the figures used in the chart do not include those who are only benefiting from Social Security and/or Medicare.

Food stamps and Medicaid make up a large--and growing--chunk of the more than 100 million recipients. "Among the major means tested welfare programs, since 2000 Medicaid has increased from 34 million people to 54 million in 2011 and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps) from 17 million to 45 million in 2011," says the Senate Budget Committee. "Spending on food stamps alone is projected to reach $800 billion over the next decade."

(source article)
What Now?

How can we keep up the payments on this ??

This is just as much a Republican problem and fault as it is the Democrats please wake up and see that...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
It looks like around 107 million people are receiving some form of Federal welfare !!

AND, that don't include Social Security or Medicare !!

1/3 of the U.S. population !!
(The figures include citizens and non-citizens)

Is this what YOU Really want for this country ??

It looks like Obama and the Democrats do....

The Weekly Standard -- Aug 8, 2012

A new chart set to be released later today by the Republican side of the Senate Budget Committee details a startling statistic: "Over 100 Million People in U.S. Now Receiving Some Form Of Federal Welfare."

"The federal government administers nearly 80 different overlapping federal means-tested welfare programs," the Senate Budget Committee notes. However, the committee states, the figures used in the chart do not include those who are only benefiting from Social Security and/or Medicare.

Food stamps and Medicaid make up a large--and growing--chunk of the more than 100 million recipients. "Among the major means tested welfare programs, since 2000 Medicaid has increased from 34 million people to 54 million in 2011 and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps) from 17 million to 45 million in 2011," says the Senate Budget Committee. "Spending on food stamps alone is projected to reach $800 billion over the next decade."

(source article)
What Now?

How can we keep up the payments on this ??

It's a good feeling knowing that I'm not one of those 107,000,000.... I must be doing something right

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
What I really don't understand is how everyone seems to blame the recipients of this aid and always completely ignore where the true problem lies. It is all well and good blaming someone for receiving welfare, but for the vast majority they just don't have a choice, if your a married man, wife a couple of kids and the only work you can get is in McDonald's how do you survive on that? How does he feed his family and pay for his home and bills with the wages they would pay him? He is not being lazy, he is after all working at the only work he can find, and yet you would castigate him and spew out bile and hatred like he is some mass murderer just because he needs to feed his kids.

The real problem lies with the corporate take over of America, most Americans think they live in a capitalist country, and you really don't, you live in a corporate controlled country, corporations that are bleeding you dry, sucking the wealth out of your country and storing it overseas so it never comes back. Take a iconic American company Apple, a company that turns over trillions of dollars, makes multiple billions of dollars in profit each year, do you really think the company would not survive if it made its products in America? Are Americans unable to assemble iPhones and iPads? No, of course they are, but Apple don't want to pay Americans a fairs day pay for a fair days work, they want to pay Chinese workers a pittance to work under such poor conditions that they have to put a suicide net around the factory building, and only when they can do the same to Americans will Apple bring manufacturing back to the US, and that is where the real problem is.

You can blame unions, you can blame an entitlement culture or any other excuse you want, but the collapse of America is due to large corporations and the banking families that own them, often surreptitiously. You need to get these people out of government, you need to stop electing Ivy league and corporate stooges into office, tell me truthfully when was the last time a normal middle class man was in charge of your country, elected president? Has their ever been one who wasn't "connected"? And while your at it riddle me this batman, why does a politician spend billions getting elected into office for a job that pays less than half a million in wages each year, I mean they spend thousands of millions to get a job that will pay them 2 million back over the 4 years, there has to be some other motive behind it, wouldn't you say.

Stop hating the helpless, and start hating the greedy slime bags that really cause the problem

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I say take them for all you can. Crash the system, it may be the only way.

Of course, Bernanke can just print more. You KNOW they're not going to run out of money to build more trillion dollar Deep Underground Military Bases, or for more jets or drones or extraordinary pensions for Congress.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I wish I could get off welfare (Food stamps and housing). I had to get on the stamps in 2010 and have tried constantly to find work. Aside from two very very part time and super temp jobs (one lasted 6 weeks, the other 2), I have had zero luck. Every single place will not hire me; and I've worked steadily since I was 13, starting out with my mom at her office working summers between schooling. I lost my job in 2010, funds dried up, and NO one is hiring. Can I afford to move? Not at all. Not with 48 dollars to my name. I'm blessed to have a good boyfriend who pays for my home phone and net so I have something to do when not driving to the closest town that's an hour away to find work, and going to all the tiny towns closer hoping someone will hire me. When you have one job position open and everyone in a 300 mile radius from even the surrounding states are coming in to apply, your odds look next to nil.

I tried to get a college education. Back in 10 when things were going great, I started my bachelors at Devry. Hindsight says I should have gone somewhere but lack of a car dictated online school was the only option, plus working all that I was, I had no time to do a traditional. Now that my loans dried up and I can't finish my bachelors til I pay back that 57k I owe, I'm back to crud, still on welfare, trying desperately to even get a part time job at some fast food, Walmart, etc. NO one is hiring. I can not get a lucky stand for the life of me. Makes me feel like a horrific person who is worth crap. I used to hate the term 'useless eater'. IF I wasn't looking for jobs all the time, using friends gas up in their cars when THEY"RE strapped for money too, to find jobs all the time, I'd start to agree that I was useless too. I actually am useless, not for lack of trying to find work - but because obviously I'm such a horrible person, despite decades of working, that no one will hire me. They pick others.

I went from being more than self sustained to having to depend on food stamps to keep my son and I fed. And I had to get into housing in April as I couldn't afford the 300/mth rent for my old two bedroom. Even this 50/mth rent is now a struggle. I hate relying on friends to pay my crap. I HATE IT. I'm such a thorn. I'm not the 'offing myself' sort, but I'm starting to look into freakin' illegal activities to make money, that's how bad it is.

Not all of us crave to be on this program. But some of us need it to live. I hate needing it to live. But I have to.

I hope the app I put in at the temp agency will take kindness (pity) and get me some work that could turn permanent somewhere. My work ethic is super strong, I'm the most customer oriented person ever, a clean freak job wise, meticulous to detail....... I don't know what employees are LOOKING for if all that plus dependability is NOT good enough. Outside of what I learned in school, I have no training really.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

People need to be way more responsible for when it comes to having kids... If you cant fully support them through the good and possible bad times, you should never have them... Its not fair to them and its not fair to the the citizens of this country who are forced to support them...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

I see that you're in S. Illinois... Have you ever considered moving up North around the Chicagoland area (thats where I am)... There are opportunities up here for sure, I work with recruiters (IT industry) and they cant get people fast enough... I wonder if its more of a geographical thing for you, because you sound like you would be a solid worker for any company...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Thank you for being so honest and open about your situation, I have been there and I know how awful it is. Don't give up though, life is like a wheel, sometimes you go down but you will always come up again.

I truly hope everything works out for you in the future and that you find some (decent) work soon. I can't advise you on your "illegal" work, nor will I judge you, I know how desperate things can become, I would just say to remember such a thing will stay with you forever and to be sure you can live with the consequences and aftermath. I pray something comes along for you before you reach that point, I really do.

Maybe ATS members can help out, not you in particular (although it would be nice) but there are lots of members on this site, surely some are employers, and if so why not look out for fellow ATSers and give those trying hard a leg up, lots of nice people on here. Worth a thought

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I moved here from the chicago burbs. It's so expensive up there (when I moved, rent for a two bedroom was 1000 a month and my roomie and I were struggling. Now rent for a one bedroom is over 1100 pretty much everywhere except ghettoville. I can't hardly afford my 50/mth rent and to get in housing up there takes about 5 to 8 years on a waiting list). I was unable to find work there so I moved here where you cant find anything for over 400 a month, and I'd moved down with a great job which I worked at for about 6 months. Til I got super sick and work refused to find anyone to cover me: I had to go in with laryngitis and a high fever, shaking and sweating hard, to answer phone orders and make pizzas by myself (gas station with food court). Being a derp, I had vented on fb - which is only friends and family up north, no one from down here, and my page was private to everyone then....... the job found out and fired me a few days later, despite me working the two full shifts I had to. I even had customers freaking out how horrific I looked due to how sick I was.

Anyway, after that faux pas, I held those two very temp jobs and nothing since. :/ I hate the bed we sometimes make without thinking. It can really screw up things.

(I unlike some, do admit when I mess up. THAT was messing up. Can't fix it however.)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
This is Cloward-Piven writ large.

Line 2

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I know you mean those who are on aid and still having kids. XD Some folk read that as 'don't ever have kids because your life could go down hill fast."

Mine is 17. Things were great when I had him. xD Just goes to show that even the most concrete job and savings can be gone before ya know it.

I don't get those who are on aid and still have kids though. I really don't. Kids should grow up with no lack of anything, and surely not see their parents struggling. I'm sure at some point the kids think 'whats the point, even if mom and dad can't find work and go without, what's the point for me?' A sad state, truly.

Thank goodness some smart kids do grow up and get good jobs/careers and break any cycle that could start.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Beezer, did you just 'line 2'? Hahahah. I needed to chuckle, thanks

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
reply to post by xuenchen

End trickle down economics. It does not work. They are not hiring more workers just putting the extra money in over seas bank accounts.

NO!!!
Has to due with the tax burden on those that create jobs.
It also shows that when the Govt hands out free money, people become comfortable in getting for doing nothing.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
What happens to the people on welfare if that resource disappears? Do you want to be in that position? If the people that hand it out decide to stop, or if the young intelligent achieve their goal of toppling our corrupt government, what will you do then? I am broke but I am not on welfare. Few people are exploiting all their options. How many of these people could be growing their own food? I drive through the ghetto all the time and I see many landowners not utilizing their land in that there are almost no gardens. What gives? Also, I seem to be one of the few in this area that takes advantage of all the lovely wild edibles - there is food everywhere, even plantain and dandelion are all over the cities. You'd be better off boiling a pot of dandelions and earthworms than you would be some of those detestable ramen noodle packages. But whatever you do, please try to find ways to decrease your dependance on our government since my mates and I are actively working to destroy it.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

You can still fix it.
Depression sucks and it will drag you to the deepest pits of hell if you let it.

When there is no work, and no money, you have to do what you have to do.
There are options, you just have to find a way of getting over some of your own doubts.
You are not lazy, nor not inspired- I can tell that much. You do want to work, and you WILL find something
because most dont even get off their asses.

I know your friends are already helping you out- and it really really sucks having to rely on them, but thats why they are there.
My old roomate has a coffee cup that says "Use your friends wisely". I always thought it was an awful mug to have, but after a while, I understood that it wasnt such bad advice afterall.
Im sure you have friends who have Ins with their companies. See if they can help with that. Maybe they can maybe they cant.

You know one job that is ALWAYS hiring(especially when times get bad)- security work.
Pay sucks, but it beat flipping burgers.
And Im sure the state you are living in sure can use some more security =)

...It sucks when you feel that there is nothing you can do, but there is Always something you can do.
You got to do what you got to do to make sure your family is fed.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Do you have a resume? Have you tried LinkedIn? Linkedin is a great tool to help finding work, you can link up with recruiters, you can join groups with recruiters who are looking to fill positions, its really a good resource to help you find work... I get offers on linkedin all the time.... Also, careerbuilder and monster seem to work out well for many when trying to find work...

I understand the times are tough for many folks out there, just dont give up....

I agree rent can be expensive, but this is where the opportunities are at.... I had a 1 bedroom in the lakeview neighborhood of Chicago (700sqft) $1580 a month for a 1 bedroom, but i did have parking.... It was crazy expensive...
edit on 9-8-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Originally posted by JBA2848
reply to post by xuenchen

End trickle down economics. It does not work. They are not hiring more workers just putting the extra money in over seas bank accounts.

NO!!!
Has to due with the tax burden on those that create jobs.
It also shows that when the Govt hands out free money, people become comfortable in getting for doing nothing.

Tax Burden?
That's a load of steaming bovine excrement and you know it.

Now I am for lowering taxes for corporations. But I'm also for removing tax breaks and other nonsense.
I don't want my tax dollars funding corporate welfare either.

Corporations hate big government but they're ok with tax breaks and subsidies. Forget that nonsense.
No welfare for corporations! You can't have your cake and eat it too.

IMO the government is doing things wrong. We need to be focusing on producing exports to other countries. The dollar is weak and American products would sell well overseas.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
reply to post by jhn7537

I know you mean those who are on aid and still having kids. XD Some folk read that as 'don't ever have kids because your life could go down hill fast."

Mine is 17. Things were great when I had him. xD Just goes to show that even the most concrete job and savings can be gone before ya know it.

I don't get those who are on aid and still have kids though. I really don't. Kids should grow up with no lack of anything, and surely not see their parents struggling. I'm sure at some point the kids think 'whats the point, even if mom and dad can't find work and go without, what's the point for me?' A sad state, truly.

Thank goodness some smart kids do grow up and get good jobs/careers and break any cycle that could start.

The majority of people aide on right now, are people who were responsible and did everything right. You can't control the actions of other people, such as spouses walking out on their families and employers firing you due to a number of reasons.
Are there people taking advantage of the system? Sure, but they are NOT the majority. People like to point fingers at the ones who are abusing the system because it it means they can bury their heads in the sand and not see all the people who currently on it who did everything right yet still ended up on it. They want to believe they could never end up on welfare as long as they do everything right but the truth is staring them in the face, that it could easily be them.
I was one of those self righteous people who thought I was above ever becoming a welfare mother like my own, until the day my husband walked out on me.
edit on 9-8-2012 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Who builds a future for themsevles with the outlook that the worlds ending?

How many sections of society can you name that think the worlds ending?

You're asking this question in a website that features threads regularly banging the drums of doom and gloom loudly and these threads feature people from numerous "sections'. Confirmation bias is the stigma of myopia and if you're not careful your Karma just might run over your Dogma.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

People need to be way more responsible for when it comes to having kids... If you cant fully support them through the good and possible bad times, you should never have them... Its not fair to them and its not fair to the the citizens of this country who are forced to support them...

I strongly Disagree.

ANYONE can go from having, to needing. Even You.

Many are riding the economic wave, as we speak.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join