It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 100 Million Now Receiving Federal Welfare -- The Most Ever !

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
If we use the republican definition of a tax increase then every man, woman and child in this country receive some sort of federal assistance!

What about tax deduction? If you get $10,000 in a mortgage home interest tax deduction then you get a government bailout!

If you have children and get a kiddie deduction then you get federal assistance and money from the government!

Here is another important thing that people just refuse to believe but Thomas Jefferson said it best,

"If the American people ever allow private banks
to control the issue of their money,
first by inflation and then by deflation,
the banks and corporations that will
grow up around them (around the banks),
will deprive the people of their property
until their children will wake up homeless
on the continent their fathers conquered."

This thread is about dividing the American people and it uses class warfare to do it!

Wake up people and the OP should realize that 40 million Americans are over the age of 65 which are counted in the stats....

Or here is what really bothers me...

www.ssa.gov...

that the cap of $2000 in assets for the program has never been raised or adjusted for inflation from 1984... SO, many will say?

so the definition of really poor people with assets has not changed in the governments view.

What is the $2000 cap when adjusted for inflation?

it appears that the government wants people not only to stay poor but get poorer as inflation eats away at the asset cap! inflation.

for example if the asset cap was adjusted for inflation it would be about $5500 not $2000!

and if you look at the real buying power of that $2000 and adjust it for inflation the actual buying power of that two grand is only about $750

So, once again who is getting screwed?

If the federal government adjusted the asset for inflation another 50 million (my guesstimate) people would qualify for food stamps!
edit on 10-8-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: add link

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Ive seen you around for a bit. I wish you would run for office. The government taxes business owners into poverty and then they expect business to pay for the poor. All the while the send all the business over seas.

Sorry today i did not take the time to read thru the whole thread. I know a cardinal sin that I often bitch about.

Maybe if time allows i will come back and read thru. But for now I have to try and bring enough home to feed us all.

peace my freind

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

In a documentary that came as an extra on my copy of the movie "The Children of Men" an economist said that our western economy behaves "like a crackhead". That is to say that enough is never enough. We all know the quote from the movie Wall Street - Greed is good and this is the underlying problem.

Our system is skewed and jury-rigged.... here's the way we work. We labor so that we can invest. The companies that we invest in have to sell their products at a high enough profit margin so that we, as investors, can see some of that profit. Thus as we invest - we also drive up the prices of the things we need to buy before we invest... This cycle grows and grows until the people at the bottom can no longer afford to invest - as all of their money is being used to pay the higher prices that investment causes. The problem is that whenever the bottom falls out - it creates a new bottom. Thus yesterdays middle class is todays impoverished class.

THIS is what crashed our economy - this bubble of greed and THIS is why so many people are now below the line where they stopped being investors and fell below the threshold of survival.

Oh, and a footnote... Credit to people who should not have had access to it is a large part of the problem. But banks got greedy and we all know that people love what they can't actually afford.

~Heff

Well said Heff! I often tell people all of this FED money pumping is just trying to keep the bubble inflated until prices catch up through inflation but I always have my doubts... so I am constantly re-evaluating my beliefs and challenging my own ideas unlike so many others who think

"I am 100 percent right and I never have to doubt what I think because I am right"

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Sulie

I think there are a lot of retired people in Arizona, so benefit payments will be higher.

Most illegal immigrants come to work. Rather difficult to claim benefits if you are illegally in a foreign country.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MassOccurs
In 2010 Americans gave 290.89 billion to charity according to the American Association of Fundraising Council. That's a little less than 1,000$ per capita, and somewhere around 2% of income (numbers include foundations, NPOs).

Compare this to 427.7 bil in welfare payments made by fed gov, about 12% of budget.Another 45% of budget used on social security and medicare, amounting to nearly 1.6 trillion.

So almost 60% of tax dollars go to needy, while only 2% of discretionary personal income.

Overall, America spending 2.5 Tril on assistance and poverty is still perpetuation.

Solution to the problem is a commitment to assist the elderly, poor, and sick in the private sector. If citizens donated 10% that would cover the 2.5 Tril currently being spent, system would be more efficient because Fed government is overburdened and private sector can specialize. Burden on US gov would decrease and it would be realistic to spend half of what is currently spent on benefits.

Just as welfare creates laziness among the lower class to work, it creates laziness among the upper class to donate.

I would like to see lower income taxes and a heavier reliance on sales tax when it comes to government funding

SO, what is welfare? Do you know what is included in the number you tout?

www.ourdime.us...

The Office of Management and Budget(OMB) does have a spending category called “Income Security”. The two pie graphs I linked to in the introduction just take that entire category and divides it by total spending to get 12%. In 2009 accounts categorized as “income security” accounted for 533$ billion in spending. According to the government printing offices’ historical tables, table 3.2: Oulays by Function and Subfunction, that spending is broken down into 6 distinct subfunctions.
1.General retirement and disability insurance
2.Federal employee retirement and disability
3.Unemployment compensation
4.Housing assistance
5.Food and nutrition assistance
6.Other income security

But as I described in a previous post, 3 out of the 6 income security subfunctions go to pensions and unemployment – things that must be earned by working and paying into.

The 3 remaining subfunctions cost a combined 284$ billion dollars, but even that doesn’t tell the whole story. Over the last week I’ve taken a more detailed look at each of these subfunctions to get an idea of how that money is spent. What I found was that even in the remaining subfunctions, Food and Nutrition, Housing Assistance, and Other that not all of that spending was spent on the poor.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by spyder550

This is ATS, the facts don't matter. I brought this up and was promptly ignored. The figure is BS but it suits the agenda around here so they take it as fact.

I liked the deny ignorance slogan. I thought that that meant a rigorous pursuit of truth. I was totally wrong. Apparently it means set your hair on fire while a squadron of people fan the flames. You can find the truth on this within seconds with a Google search. I did, and I ain't no rocket surgeon.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

When president O took office we were bleeding between half and three quarters of a million jobs a month. Those jobs are not coming back anytime in the foreseeable future. Especially since the GOP so neatly blocked the president's plan to reward companies for bring them back to our shores. But enough about that. In the past couple of years the job loss has been slightly reversed but not to any significant degree because most of the new jobs are in the service sector; part time, minimum wage, no benefits.

So, here is the problem, we have millions of people out of work. Those people do not just cease to exist when they lose their jobs. They must still have a place to sleep, and food to eat. Thankfully in developed nations there is usually a social safety net. If not for that safety net, not only would those unemployed suffer more homelessness and hunger, but their communities would collapse because there would be no economic movement. People without money don't shop. If they don't shop, the stores have to close their doors, the companies they buy their products from will have to close because they are no longer selling enough product to pay the bills, the companies who make the products will also suffer and lay off workers or close shop, which means more people out of work. Do you see how this goes?

What would you suggest we as a nation do? Just allow these people and their children to die? Allow those once thriving communities to turn to dust and blow away? While you do have a point, it is not a particularly well thought out one. "Welfare" is not as simple as you make it out to be. It is on cog in very much larger wheel, attached to many other wheels, which help to keep our country and economy moving.

As far as where is the money going to come from; well there are several paths to solution. Firstly, bring back jobs. Call your representatives in DC and tell them to pass the "bring home the jobs" bill, or one like it. That should be a no brainer. Secondly we can end corporate welfare for companies with billions in profit who pay no taxes. We can also make sure that the uber wealthy either pay their FAIR share of taxes or pay a penalty for not doing so. Close the loopholes and special cuts for the wealthy. They are not creating any jobs. And lastly, stop policing the world and spending more money on "defense" than all other countries combined. If we do these few things not only will the number of people on welfare go down, but the economy will begin to recover and we may see our country once again achieve a portion of the greatness that it once held in such esteem.

But this takes action on a personal and a national scale. And since most of us are comfortably numb and more worried about Snooki's baby and who got voted off the island...I don't hold out much hope.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

"Figures include anyone residing in a household where at least one person received a program benefit." In other words, if your disabled brother lives with your family of six, and was a recipient of Medicaid (not to be confused with Medicare), all seven of you are listed as having received a welfare benefit.

Eighty programs, excluding Social Security and Medicare? Well, what are they? Certain means-tested veterans programs? Vocational rehabilitation for the injured? Foster care payments? Benefits for disabled children? Programs for the elderly? How much is overhead and how much is actual benefits? We don't know exactly what these 80 programs include because the chart doesn't tell us. The chart and accompanying information doesn't want to tell us, because its creators are certain that there's not that much critical thinking out there. They're relying on those who have the pre-conceived, propagandist-driven notion that Welfare Queens and Homeless Bums -- and what many typically envision "welfare" to be (food stamps, Section 8, cash assistance) -- are really the biggest root of America's disintegrating economy.

So yeah, it's BS carry on with your thread though. Seriously, if 1 in 3 people was on welfare the GOP couldn't even get elected. Use your heads.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Hows that that reagan nomic,
working for ya thank a republican your jobs are in china oh and thank a banker too and the bushes those oil tycoons invadeinf the middle east

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
I have a friend on welfare she sort of needs it. And she gets 1500 per month net! If she got a full time job paying our minimum wage which is 10 dollars an hour that's 160 hours per month x 10 = 1600 gross. Minus taxes she'd be left with about 1100. do the math. An extra 160 hours a month of free time plus more money than minimum wage? Who wouldn't go for that!

"Who wouldn't go for that?" Any able-bodied person possessed of any degree of honor and integrity "wouldn't go for that." Any person who had any respect for and loving kindness toward their fellow citizens who were providing for her "wouldn't go for that." Anyone who places such a high value on those "extra 160 hours a month of free time" knowing that millions of others don't have the luxury of that free time and have to do without, themselves, because of the taxes taken from them to support her and others like her "wouldn't go for that."

Any human being with a heart for their fellow human being "wouldn't go for that."

Your friend who "sort of needs it" and the tens upon tens of thousands just like her are keeping those benefits from someone who DOES need it. Children go hungry because of her and her ilk. Elders suffer because of her and her ilk.

If the abusers of the system would STOP abusing the system and, instead, contribute to the system and take care of themselves, we wouldn't have elders trying to live on $400 a month in Social Security Income - they might be able to get an increase if so many weren't abusing the system; they might not have to eat cat food ... or do you and your friend think the elderly eating cat and dog food is just an urban myth? It's not; it's very real. Or maybe you think that, too, is so amusing?

People who would give anything to still be able to work but, instead, have to rely on SSI disability might get more than $900 or so a month to try to live on if people like your friend didn't abuse the system. People who work every day in agonizing pain because the disability system has to accept fewer and fewer people might get to live a more pain free life if those thousands like your friend didn't abuse the system.

So, I hope she spends 159 1/2 hours of her extra "free" 160 hours every month thinking about all the people she is depriving. I hope her conscience becomes burdened with the weight of a boulder because of what she is doing. I hope she no longer sleeps at night thinking of all those she and the thousands just like her are keeping in abject poverty. And i hope you and all her other "friends" begin to take her to task and look upon her with shame and dishonor until she can no longer look an honest and honorable person in the eye.

Nothing is "free." SOMEONE, including you if you have a job, is paying for all her "free" time and "free" money.

Her shame is immeasurable and so is yours if you can post that and end it with a laugh.

Every day I am more embarrassed to be a member of the human race.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Over 100 Million Now Receiving Federal Welfare - This is no surprise considering the 100 Million plus jobs that have been shipped off to 3rd World Countries.

What is surprising is that the Over-Valued US Dollar retains its grip as the World Reserve Currency.

Stock up on Food and Ammo my American friends, your Great Financial Crash and Famine is just Months/Weeks away.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Amanda Clayton, 25, collected thousands of dollars in state assistance for months after she won $1 million
It was wrong for her to do what she did, and the media had a good time letting everyone know about it. Now if the MSM would only take the time to address the MILLIONS of dollars illegals are stealing from the American in tax payer, that would be great!

edit on 10-8-2012 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
The economy will collapse. In the short term you need water and food, in the long term you need to defend yourself and have gold and sliver.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
It looks like around 107 million people are receiving some form of Federal welfare !!

AND, that don't include Social Security or Medicare !!

1/3 of the U.S. population !!
(The figures include citizens and non-citizens)

Is this what YOU Really want for this country ??

It looks like Obama and the Democrats do....

The Weekly Standard -- Aug 8, 2012

A new chart set to be released later today by the Republican side of the Senate Budget Committee details a startling statistic: "Over 100 Million People in U.S. Now Receiving Some Form Of Federal Welfare."

"The federal government administers nearly 80 different overlapping federal means-tested welfare programs," the Senate Budget Committee notes. However, the committee states, the figures used in the chart do not include those who are only benefiting from Social Security and/or Medicare.

Food stamps and Medicaid make up a large--and growing--chunk of the more than 100 million recipients. "Among the major means tested welfare programs, since 2000 Medicaid has increased from 34 million people to 54 million in 2011 and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps) from 17 million to 45 million in 2011," says the Senate Budget Committee. "Spending on food stamps alone is projected to reach $800 billion over the next decade."

(source article)
What Now?

How can we keep up the payments on this ??

What kind of ridiculous chart is that? Makes it look like a big jump since the beginning of the crash when really its only like a 10% increase - during the worst economic times since the great depression.

I don't want anyone on welfare, but I also don't want the chart designer to have a job drawing charts anymore.

I'm not worried about $800 B on food stamps over 10 years as much as I am worried about trillions in farm subsidies and oil industry tax breaks over the next 10 years, or $2-3T on foreign wars over the next 10 years. Everything the gov't spends on needs to be scaled way back, but the $80B in food stamps a year pales in comparison to much of the 100% useless spending we do. Heck, $80B is far less than we spend giving money to Israel and other beggar nations every year. Why would we be concerned so much about something so insignificant, which at least in some way parallels Christian ideals, when we spend 10x as much to support anti-Christian undertakings?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by White Locust
The economy will collapse. In the short term you need water and food, in the long term you need to defend yourself and have gold and sliver.

If food and water are going to be so hard to come by and we need to defend ourselves, what good is gold and silver going to do us? Do people really think precious foodm water, weapons, and ammo will be traded for gold and silver?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro4077
Over 100 Million Now Receiving Federal Welfare - This is no surprise considering the 100 Million plus jobs that have

It's a sign that the Gov is collecting too much taxes.

What's the point of taxing the people, only to have to then turn around and give them back that money in Federal Aid?

Why don't they just stop taxing, and let the people keep their money to spend.

100 Million? The whole U.S. is only 300 Million, every man, woman, and child counted. Does anybody work?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dogstar23
What kind of ridiculous chart is that? Makes it look like a big jump since the beginning of the crash when really its only like a 10% increase - during the worst economic times since the great depression.

I don't want anyone on welfare, but I also don't want the chart designer to have a job drawing charts anymore.

I'm not worried about $800 B on food stamps over 10 years as much as I am worried about trillions in farm subsidies and oil industry tax breaks over the next 10 years, or $2-3T on foreign wars over the next 10 years. Everything the gov't spends on needs to be scaled way back, but the $80B in food stamps a year pales in comparison to much of the 100% useless spending we do. Heck, $80B is far less than we spend giving money to Israel and other beggar nations every year. Why would we be concerned so much about something so insignificant, which at least in some way parallels Christian ideals, when we spend 10x as much to support anti-Christian undertakings?

Not to detract from this thread, but someone just put up a new thread that is discussing (very well, at that!) one of the very points you bring up. Here

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
How can we keep up the payments on this ??

Tax the rich been working out so well so far

Taxes on the rich are drastically, DRASTICALLY reduced from what they were pre-Reagan. Debt went from something like $700B-$4t under Reagan, to around $10 by the time W was done, to $14T+ thru one Obama term. I know that's not entirely from the historically low taxes on the rich, but it's part of it. Nobody thinks the rich are paying high taxes now compared to most of the 20th century. Nobody who's right at least.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro4077
Over 100 Million Now Receiving Federal Welfare - This is no surprise considering the 100 Million plus jobs that have been shipped off to 3rd World Countries.

What is surprising is that the Over-Valued US Dollar retains its grip as the World Reserve Currency.

Stock up on Food and Ammo my American friends, your Great Financial Crash and Famine is just Months/Weeks away.

this is what i was trying to say ,, as my last post was on a small tablet

Reagan-nomics is when it all started a trickle down spending down to nothing of the deficit

see the charts from Jimmy Carters era to Reagans era in the Deficit of Spending ( almost 3 fold )

The Un American Committe would called Reagan a Traiter if it happened in the 1950s ( McCartheyisum Era )

having American Owned Company Products made in a Comunist Country like China ...
would of Never Happend

it seizes to Amaze me that Reagan & The Shady Elite ,Bankers (Fed Reserve) & Big Corperations Would make Deals with China

While in The Korean War & Vietnam War China was Helping & Supplying Our Enemy's and even Joining them

along side with the USSR ... North Korea, Cuba

It seem to me according to Wikipidia we were fighting the Chineese (170,000) North Vietnam: 287,465 (January 1968) [ China: 170,000 ]
en.wikipedia.org...

and Americans in the 1980s Allowed this to Happen !! ??

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
I have a friend on welfare she sort of needs it. And she gets 1500 per month net! If she got a full time job paying our minimum wage which is 10 dollars an hour that's 160 hours per month x 10 = 1600 gross. Minus taxes she'd be left with about 1100. do the math. An extra 160 hours a month of free time plus more money than minimum wage? Who wouldn't go for that!

I hope your friend THANKS those people that work and have worked 40 hours + per week to provide her with 1500. a month for doing NOTHING.

WOW! She must be proud of herself!

Proud that she is able to profit from the disabled and seniors who put money in the kitty so she could sit on her tail in front of her big screen & eat Twinkies.

Because of people like your friend, that kitty will eventually run dry. Then what? Friend will blame the rich folks who didn't work hard enough to continue to support her. She will have no more help simply because she was not willing to help herself when able.

And then friend of friend, you can
at that!

Ni hi Go la gi ni ge sv na
edit on 10-8-2012 by Kituwa because: (no reason given)

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join