It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which show was deeper than the other?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I know shows like The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone you people should like. Which show to you was deeper? And what was your favorite episode?

I think The Outer Limits was deeper. My top favorite episode is called The Voice of Reason. There was a time in my life where I really related to this episode. The main character was like me spot on.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Twilight Zone has always been my favorite of the three you mentioned.

There was this one episode where some crazy guy believed in teleportation. He kept on insisting that his true love could teleport him at any time. It was really hard to follow the plot line, but still my most favorite!
Do you remember that episode?

PS- Do you know anyone that could teleport me a sandwich? I'm hungry.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
"Number 12 Looks Just Like You" is an episode of the American television anthology series The Twilight Zone.

en.wikipedia.org...

Synopsis

In a future society, all young adults go through a process known as "the Transformation," in which each person's body and face are changed to mimic a physically attractive design chosen from a small selection of numbered models. The process gives everyone a beautiful appearance, slows deterioration due to age and extends a person's lifespan, by two to three times, and makes the recipient immune to any kind of disease.

The motive of the Transformation is social harmony. According to Professor Sig, a psychologist with the Transformation service, "Years before, wiser men than I . . . saw that physical unattractiveness was one of the factors that made men hate, so they charged the finest scientific minds with the task of eliminating ugliness in mankind."

18-year-old Marilyn Cuberle decides not to undergo the Transformation, seeing nothing wrong with her unaltered appearance. Nobody else can understand Marilyn's decision, and those around her are confused by her displeasure with the conformity and shallowness of contemporary life. Her "radical" beliefs were fostered by her now-deceased father, who gave Marilyn banned books and came to regret his own Transformation years earlier, committing suicide upon the loss of his identity.

It's claimed that this episode was directed at Hollywood, women, and appearance... but I think it goes much 'deeper' than that...

Then there's always these guys:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarJohn
I know shows like The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone you people should like. Which show to you was deeper? And what was your favorite episode?

I think The Outer Limits was deeper. My top favorite episode is called The Voice of Reason. There was a time in my life where I really related to this episode. The main character was like me spot on.

Are you comparing the newer version of the shows or the originals? If you're talking about the newer versions then I like the new Outer Limits more than the Twilight Zone. If you're referring to the black and white versions then I prefer Twilight Zone to Outer Limits.

Is this the episode you like?

edit on 8-8-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
there are far deeper anime tv shows. Ghost in the Shell: the stand alone complex is pretty deep and way ahead of its time. its not deep but cowboy bebop was my favorite show of all time.

i watch the twilight zone marathons every chance i can get. i enjoyed the new ones even though they werent as original as the originals.
i never watched outer limits

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Twilight Zone.

I really don't like the Outer Limits (I'm referring only to the classic series, I haven't seen the newer one). First off, it's really hard to do an anthology show. Twilight Zone might be the only truly successful example. Secondly, it's even harder to do an hour long anthology show. There aren't a lot of people who are huge fans of the hour long TZ episodes, because they're pretty weak. And Outer Limits is kind of weak.

Twilight Zone touched on a lot of diverse topics. Outer Limits seemed to have focused on one: humans love murdering things. And we do, but we have a lot of other faults they could've illustrated. That's not the only topic OL hit on, but it was a huge one. Just to refresh my memory, I'm looking at a list of Outer Limits plots and so many of them have the same beats.

And, finally, there's not a single OL episode that has really stuck with me. I remember a bunch, I remember details, but there were none that made me go, "I just watched some great television. This is an example of why TV is great." TZ could tell a compelling and complex story that has some impact in about 25 minutes, give or take. That's impressive. Even the episode that don't have any social commentary are awesome.

I'll never forget that episode. And it's not one like "To Serve Man" or "It's a Good Life" that've been referenced to death. It just sticks with me.

I guess what it comes down to for me is that The Outer Limits was kind of an action show. A lot of aliens, a lot of soldiers. At least one gun is fired in the majority of OL episode, and in a lot there's whole action sequences. OL had philosophical themes, it had a message, but it was going to get there in a showy way. TZ was more about story-telling. It used it's time to build the character, set up the plot, then knock everything down in a nice time. I find the latter alot more effective.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSarcasm
there are far deeper anime tv shows. Ghost in the Shell: the stand alone complex is pretty deep and way ahead of its time. its not deep but cowboy bebop was my favorite show of all time.

i watch the twilight zone marathons every chance i can get. i enjoyed the new ones even though they werent as original as the originals.
i never watched outer limits

Philosophically Serling's works asks greater questions. Cowboy Bebop develops a deeper emotional connection but that's because it's story is serial unlike Twilight Zone which was displayed one episode at a time with no central characters so nothing builds...no affection is gained towards an outcome or particular character. It all depends on what type of deep you're looking for. Serling's writings for Twilight Zone were mainly parables which challenged conventional thought processes one at a time, per episode. Cowboy Bebop is a serial drama which builds on a set of mysteries and characters over multiple seasons. Anime series should never be compared to the shows mentioned in the OP as they are completely unrelated in the sense that they don't build on central characters/ideas for the most part...100% different types of shows in every aspect except for the genre.

edit on 8-8-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I've got to go with the Twilight Zone, hands down. I grew up watching both shows, but it was a handful of zone episodes that stuck with me.

Some of my favorites are:
- Time Enough at Last
en.wikipedia.org...

- I shot an Arrow into the Air
en.wikipedia.org...

- The Monsters are Due on Maple Street
en.wikipedia.org...

- Long Live Walter Jameson
en.wikipedia.org...
(Also, you should watch a similarly themed film called "The Man from Earth". Great stuff)

- The Rip Van Winkle Caper
en.wikipedia.org...

- Shadow Play
en.wikipedia.org...(1961_The_Twilight_Zone_episode)

- Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up
en.wikipedia.org...

- The Obsolete Man
en.wikipedia.org...

- The Shelter
en.wikipedia.org...(The_Twilight_Zone)

- Five Characters in Search of an Exit
en.wikipedia.org...

- To Serve Man
en.wikipedia.org...(The_Twilight_Zone)

- On Thursday We Leave For Home
en.wikipedia.org...