It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The First Female Official In NFL

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Check this out. A first in the NFL.

www.nfl.com...

What do you think? She's been officiating games for 16 years. She's coming into the league during a union dispute and her first game,tomorrow's pre-season game between the Chargers and the Packers, is going to be televised Nationwide.

I think Charles Woodson, of The Packers, said it best.

"It may take some people by surprise, but I think once the game starts flowing, the only way you're going to notice her is if she makes a bad call."

That's about the only time we ever notice the refs at all.

That, and she's going to be a line judge. Most of the disputed calls in the NFL come from the line don't they?

She's got her work cut out for her.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I hope her gender doesn't become an issue, but how many times have you seen a ref get plowed over by a 200, 300, 400 pound football player?

I'm curious if the players will be more cautious knowing there is a woman on the field.

What will happen after she gets smooshed the first time?

I'll bet she may very well be the first and the last female ref in the NFL.

Just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I thought of that too, but I've seen photo's of her. She is kind of slight in build so I'm going to assume she might be lighter on her feet than her male counterparts.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
good on her, and the NFL for letting it happen..

we'll have to see how she does, but my bet is she can get the job done, as well as many of the men can.

Time for some..

respect..

edit on 8-8-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I think its wildly unfair she has to wear that bulky uniform.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

I agree. And it's not like you have to be big and bulky to get the job done. If anything you'd need to be light on your feet and a quick thinker. And women can do that just as well as men. That, and I really don't see the NFL hiring someone who isn't qualified for that job. Regardless of sex.

As long as she doesn't blatantly miss any obvious calls and helps the game go smoothly, more power to her.

edit on 8-8-2012 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Her poker past apparently might be an issue

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...

“Gambling is an unacceptable activity for Game Officials in the National Football League,” the policy states. “Such activity constitutes conduct detrimental to the integrity of, and public trust in, the NFL. Because it is the responsibility of the Game Officials to ensure the fairness of NFL play, including the complete confidence of the fans in the legitimacy of the game, it is critical that NFL Game Officials maintain the appearance of the highest ethical conduct.”
edit on 8-8-2012 by RedGoneWILD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGoneWILD
Her poker past apparently might be an issue

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...

“Gambling is an unacceptable activity for Game Officials in the National Football League,” the policy states. “Such activity constitutes conduct detrimental to the integrity of, and public trust in, the NFL. Because it is the responsibility of the Game Officials to ensure the fairness of NFL play, including the complete confidence of the fans in the legitimacy of the game, it is critical that NFL Game Officials maintain the appearance of the highest ethical conduct.”
edit on 8-8-2012 by RedGoneWILD because: (no reason given)

The WSOP is a legal and regulated "sport" televised on ESPN. Just like Football. It's not like she was betting on dog fights. Remember Micheal Vick?

They need to let her do her job but keep an eye on her regardless just like they do everyone else. If she starts making blatant one sided calls, then yeah. look into why. But remember, she's a line judge. I think there are more checks and balances in place with a line judges calls than with other officials.

There's a reason why one ref does does not have all the authority over call. Ever. Fixing/Gambling.

The NFL may be anal about gambling, but they do have measures in place to help make sure it doesn't happen within their "corporation".

new topics

top topics

join