It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some bothersome interactions I've noticed on ATS concerning Aliens and UFOs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by danj3ris

Sir, please do not try to bring common sense to a website that is seriously lacking in it from top to bottom.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
The only issue I have is the [HOAX] policy concerning banning users.

If someone posts a few videos that turn out to not be UFOs (HINT: They all do), the user shouldn't be banned. If they're violating any other part of the T&C, ban away.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

I may be overstepping my bounds here as a mere forum moderator... but for the sake of clarity I would like to address this concern. Here, behind the "curtain" we can see things that standard members cannot - things that allow us to understand that the person posting a hoax is a previously banned serial hoaxer. We do have a number of people who seem to enjoy coming here, under new names, or with new IP's just to post the same drivel over and over again - thus some of these seemingly quick and knee-jerk bannings are actually the result of us identifying people who have previously been banned for the same, or other violations.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by DaTroof

I may be overstepping my bounds here as a mere forum moderator... but for the sake of clarity I would like to address this concern. Here, behind the "curtain" we can see things that standard members cannot - things that allow us to understand that the person posting a hoax is a previously banned serial hoaxer. We do have a number of people who seem to enjoy coming here, under new names, or with new IP's just to post the same drivel over and over again - thus some of these seemingly quick and knee-jerk bannings are actually the result of us identifying people who have previously been banned for the same, or other violations.

~Heff

Ah yeah, forgot about circumvention. For what it's worth, I think the moderators here do a fine job.

I've had posts removed, but I always understood why.

Thanks for the response.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   

I thought you might like to see this, and i agree with you Youtube is a valuable tool.

Statistics
Traffic Over 800 million unique users visit YouTube each month
Over 3 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube
72 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute
70% of YouTube traffic comes from outside the US
YouTube is localized in 43 countries and across 60 languages
In 2011, YouTube had more than 1 trillion views or around 140 views for every person on Earth
Millions of subscriptions happen each day. Subscriptions allow you to connect with someone you're interested in — whether it's a friend, or the NBA — and keep up on their activity on the site

YouTube Partner Program Created in 2007, we now have 30,000+ partners from 27 countries around the world

Youtube.com

Separate the chaff from the wheat

Love and harmony
Whateva
edit on 9/8/12 by Whateva69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
ATS is no different than the US Govt. They regulate information and judge the poster. The system these web creators have designed is more likely to promote ignorance.

For example, if someone has a general curiosity of what a drug does to the human psyche plus physiology, their post will be removed as it is related to drug use.

In conclusion, the user has been denied information and condemned against such posts. This type of behavior mimics the US Government system in that there are forbidden zones of information. Just like our government, ATS decides what is on your plate.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I honestly don't understand why people even bother posting videos of UFOs anymore, really.

Since the recording is always going to be with a digital device, the explanation of "image artifact" or "data processing error" will always be plausible catch-alls.

Even if CGI can be ruled out, hoaxes (like photographing hub caps in the air) can be ruled out, Chinese lanterns can be ruled out, there will always Always ALWAYS be data processing and image artifacting errors. Therefore, no video evidence of a genuine UFO will EVER be accepted.

I know that's a very bleak and defeatist mentality, but seriously ask yourself...do you see it going down any other way?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   

fantastic well said.
S+F

PS
i find the worst one being its swamp gas

please have a read of my thread named(ufo over a55 chester to rhyl april 28th 12.15pm to 12.50pm)

i give you my word this is true i even sent details to mufon and nick pope
but never heard anything.
well to be truthfull nick pope did email me back saying he does not investigate ufo sightings anymore

philware(maryhinge)

pps
i forgot about the no pics or it didnt happen

please keep posting your finds
edit on 9/8/2012 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

I see what you say but you went a little far with a dig about chinese lanterns. I've seen chinese latenrs from a distance (without knowing they were at first) and they do look very compelling. However, this is one of those activities that ever more people like to do at night and so the preponderance of lights in the sky (being lanterns) has increased quite significantly.

The other massive problem is the shaky night time 3 pixel white dot. With all the camera phones out there with ISO ratings way way higher than cameras of 20 years ago the ability to take a decent photo or video is huge. So where is the person who is 10 times closer to the "UFO" than the person posting the white dot? If every video is a white dot then this implies the objects are always so small that they appear as a white dot. This takes us back to the lantern phenomena again. If there was any object the size of a plane somebody somewhere would be close enough to be able to show this. There isn't , so there is something wrong with imaging close up (although this should provoke posts of "I saw a UFO but it made my camera/phone stop") or there are no UFO's!

Once logical thinking is applied 99% of these reports whither away. Maybe some folks are too vocal in their agitation at how illogical some people can be.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
A few things i REALLY need to point out.. sigh.. again..

The Digital "dots" - not many seem to realize how that small little camera in you phone works.. its great for close to midrange and still shots.. but you start moving or trying to capture anything over 50m away.. it's going to get meessy.. that's not that far.. how far up are these "dots" of course when filmed on anything less than a $2000 camera with special lens attachment's sitting on a tripod... OPERATED BY A PRO..

So.. we have dots.. tons of them.. I've seen these dots myself and there's not much to catch, but they do some amazing things so i can see why folks would bother.

There's a theory on why even a close up pic is blurry... but you wont get that info here, as this site has long declared (without evidence i might add.. total hersay and the only place ive seen such hate for the man) Billy a hoax ages before i came here.. i'll shush on that topic now as thats a good way to be banned... (totaly wrong attitude BTW.. my 1st warning bell when i came here )

The emergence of easy to use CGI programs (funny.. i make models for games, spaceships actualy.. and ive never come across an "easy to use CGI proggy.. one wonders) is the next factor... again.. everywhere and even if you can clearly see that that UFO on the clip is EXACTLY the same ufo you saw in a vivid dream that shook you up for a few weeks.... and you never explained that Ufo to anyone involved in the Vid.. and it's not your average Ufo (chineese/russian box/pyramid thing with friend.. still creeps me out).. no thats CGI too.. as we cant explain it otherwise so where going to say "It has to be CGI.. look.. the sun reflected of it it has to be!!"

I could go on.. and on.. and on.. countless examples of some great stuff having landed here.. being torn apart and the OP trashed to no end.. then thrown in the bin with no answers other than the generic excuses we get time and time agian..

Some of the Mods do an awesome job (i've been a mod.. gaming sites.. kids are fun, adults even more fun lol) but some really just sit back and let the fur fly as it fits thier agenda.. only stepping in to further berate the OP after he/she's spirit is broken by our regular debunkers... trust me guys ive seen it and i took notice..

I'll never name a name, the evidence is on the forum for itself.. mods really need to self moderate themselves.. not every apples gonna fall from the tree the same, and a few mods i really feel should just stay away from alien topics or the gray area altoghether as there's a strong smell of bias in the air

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Having been looking for UFO's and looking at any kind of documentation about UFO's since I can't remember when, one can get a bit jaded in the been there seen that mode.

This was a well thought out post and does do justice to keeping an open mind when looking at any evidence of this nature. S&F

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by bottleslingguy

bottleslingguy, I am sorry but I only observed airplanes in your video. The lights on either side of the bright light give it away. As for the lights at the end of the video, I used to do that with a lamp. Just move the camera as the picture is taken.

Now I know this post will never convince you to change your beliefs. It is just here to hopefully show you why others just can't take the videos as explained. Good luck with beliefs and take care.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by DaTroof

~Heff

I appreciate the words of a forum moderator being introduced into this thread. I'd like to also thank the moderators for keeping on top of an unending colossal task.

Let me make myself clear. My issue is with the negativity of posters on the forum. This negativity makes it appear as if they are trying to get the HOAX tag applied just because they can't prove it isn't one, or they can't be bothered to have real constructive discourse.

The [HOAX] tag is a wonderful device because at least on this forum, it definitively labels a thread as either the writings of a hoaxer or the presentation of something that has unanimously been deemed a hoax. I'm bothered that the negativity and generally unhelpful posts all seem to lean towards the same desired result: the thread being tagged [HOAX], and not necessarily because it is one, but because someone thinks the video is so poor it should be given the black mark of death.

What if we are presented with a poor quality video of a truly unexplainable phenomenon? Negative posts that focus on the poster! Possible application of the [HOAX] tag!

What if we are presented with a poor quality video of a fully explainable phenomenon? Negative posts that focus on the poster! Possible application of the [HOAX] tag!

Negativity shouldn't happen at all, but Danj3ris, meet internet. I get it. Negativity should not equate to hoping the [HOAX] tag gets applied, because as far as I'm concerned it should be a learning and teaching tool, an indication of one of many possible end results of a constructive, analytical discourse. In this forum it carries the connotation of a punishment. It becomes a goal striven for through negativity.

We should strive to debunk or prove, not to smear each other.

edit on 9-8-2012 by danj3ris because: formatting

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
True!. But we are not all at the same level of spiritual and intellectual. Anyway, this ideal collaboration between human beings is very far from becoming reality! I registered on ATS to try to understand and share common experiences in other parts of the world, thinking that this is positive. But I ran into insurmountable obstacles and walls. How to say wisdom is the prerogative of a select few. And this is exactly where I run. I thought people here were professionally competent to do analysis obbiettive any topic. Instead I find a closed-minded, obtuse and destructive. In contrast, there are people, few, instead correspond to the ideal of free human EGO be able to give that contribution required in a positive way. It's the world, wherever you go! ....

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by bottleslingguy
reply to post by gavron

I stop listening to the debunkers when they start attacking her personally, sorta how you are right now. why not show some of the actual footage to pick on?

Noticed she dropped an advertisement just a few seconds into that video. Why should I pay her to watch hoaxes?

If you bothered to read my post, I did say if you searched, you would find videos that people have made debunking this queen of hoaxes. 39 videos to be exact on youtube.

Obviously you are a fan of hers, so anything I say here is moot. However, again, if you want to see videos proving her wrong, just do a simple search on youtube. No need on cluttering up this thread with 39 video links.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I agree with the OP S & F

I find that when I get tired of watching the harassment and oppression exhibited by the seasoned bullies of this site - is I need to take a break for a few days. It's just like school, on this site. There are cliques. You can tell who the followers are too, as they are always kissing the bullies butts! I won't name names either, as often with time, I can find something to like about most people, even ones I don't agree with.

What ticks me off is all the pseudo psyches and medical professionals on this site labeling people as mentally unstable or ill. Even if they were, I wonder how many on this site gave just the right nudge, and they aren't with us anymore...instead of actually helping with their ill placed advise, they did more damage. You just never know, and I guess it's easier that way. Not knowing. I guarantee you that many on this site wouldn't act thus in life, or they would get their butts handed to them. So what better place for a bully, who gets off on hurting others, to hang out?

So when people give advice and try to say, I'm smarter than you because of this... puh-leaseee.... Give me your name and medical license number, and maybe - just maybe, I might not think that some of the "debunkers" and "professionals" of this site aren't hoaxers in their own right. Ironic isn't it?

I don't have much of a problem with the moderators. I figure if I leave them alone they will leave me alone. This is just a suppression site tool anyhow. Stop the grass before it takes root sort of thing. You don't have to be a rocket-scientist to see this is an excellent information and trend tracking site. I've been watching this site for years. In fact, dozens of movie ideas have been boot-legged from many a posters here on good ole' ATS.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Many people are jaded "like myself" due to years of serious research and the never-ending onslaught of hucksters, hoaxers, and "i am a alien" types that frequent these circles. Making the subject a circus and muddling the waters hence being part of the cover up . I fell in with the fringe types but fortunately not for long until I opened my eyes and decided to be honest with myself. I guess i was soul searching and got lost. In the end just want to know what is really going on - what was it that i saw so many years ago? Then reached that critical point of loathing the "believers" fringe types and new agers. Sick of the Disclosure promises, claims of Motherships to appear over cities and of course "I am a Alien" kiddies

So i found myself among a witch hunt lynching these people, debunking them to death even trolling them at times. Then again came to another realization what i was doing was wrong. Because that part of me acknowledged and still entertained the possibility "what if" case _____ is true? Am i really fighting the good fight? Am i really saving some newbie from falling in to fringe thinking and possibly duped out of large sums of cash by opportunists? The answer is NO! It is ones own personal journey down a long windy road and coming to his/her own conclusion or leave the door open. Because in the end nobody really knows who or what is inside these Unidentified Flying objects and i mean NOBODY! Decades now and i am still just as optimistic of ET visitation when i began seeking the answer. And know that i will probably never know the answer to this yearning question and that's fine with me. People should just chill the F*** out and have some fun or else will just burn themselves out and become disgusted with it entirely even ignoring it. But it's still there like an Elephant in the room, this phenomena is real and maybe it's something we have yet to imagine in to existence.

I agree with you on the tags issue never put it in to that perspective before. Perhaps there is a case in the hoax bin that is legitimate and discarded due to lack of oversight? Perhaps the mob mentality is counter productive. It would be a great disservice if true.

Dont let the arm chair experts, skeptics and debunkers get under your skin. You may find they are the biggest UFO buffs that have grown bitter but for good reason.

edit on 9-8-2012 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Great job standing up for what believe in man awesome

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I wouldnt post a UFO video on ATS its not good for your mental status if you care about this site, also anyone else notice a higher frequency on 404s here
edit on 9-8-2012 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Thank you, OP, for putting this out here.

I'm new, and I have been feeling really uneasy about posting anything after some seriously negative thread experiences - including a response much less a thread. There is an element of bullying that somehow manages to stay within T&C, and those doing the bullying are sometimes the first to whip out the Rules And Regs of the site if anyone dares call them on it. It's exhausting and the bullies here make it intimidating to point out any flaws in their story/opinion, because they usually have a gang of others who are right there with them. It is frustrating and frankly makes me angry. I don't truck with deviousness, hidden agendas and outright bullying. This is clearly NOT "denying ignorance" as whomever rolls their eyes the loudest wins. I guess they are doing their job in stamping out any possible discussion, since that seems more to be the goal - to "win" instead of "discuss." I guess that's normal.

Sometimes I see Mods shut down or ban a poster that is messing with/giving a little back to those that are bullying - sometimes I understand why, other times it seems weirdly biased.

I'm trying to decide if I want to continue to hang around and glean what I can from what can be a very negative bunch of folks. I'm stubborn enough to not want someone to feel powerful for "making me go away." See? Now I sound negative, too! Arrrrgh! It's catching.... I'm off to decontaminate myself...

peace,
and as always,
AboveBoard

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join