It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Private Message" in Yahoo Mail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Just when I thought things couldn't get more annoying on the internet, I had a friend send a "Private Message" to my Yahoo Mail email account. Try as I might I can't find an answer as to how to open and read this "private message".

Does anybody know how to read such a message? The "private message" indication in the email seems to be a hot link but when you click on it, nothing happens.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Have you tried calling or emailing your friend and ask what you're supposed to do?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
Have you tried calling or emailing your friend and ask what you're supposed to do?

That would be cheating.

But yes, when all else fails, I will try the simple, logical and commonsense approach.

But not before a titanic nerdgasm first.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Okay do you have YIM ( yahoo inst mess) ? Check that first.... if not go to your in box of yahoo mail on the top of your in box you should have a blinking name of your friend click it or go to your left hand side bar of your yahoo mail it will say converstions click it you will have a list of people who have left you a message. Let me know if it works....

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Possibly that is NOT from your friend and is from a FOE--a virus from an unknown source. If an email comes in an uncommon style from a supposed friend, be suspicious. Don't open it and query the friend about it.

Common sense these days.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by starlitestarbrite
Okay do you have YIM ( yahoo inst mess) ? Check that first.... if not go to your in box of yahoo mail on the top of your in box you should have a blinking name of your friend click it or go to your left hand side bar of your yahoo mail it will say converstions click it you will have a list of people who have left you a message. Let me know if it works....

I think you are on the right track but I don't see the blinking name of my friend. Her message came in last Saturday. Clicking the conversations button gives me a list of conversations with people I don't even know, a long list, but no sign of my friend. Maybe she was online when the message came in.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
Possibly that is NOT from your friend and is from a FOE--a virus from an unknown source. If an email comes in an uncommon style from a supposed friend, be suspicious. Don't open it and query the friend about it.

Common sense these days.

Her message wasn't a "forward" that had a lot of other addresses on it, so I felt pretty safe trying to click the link in it, but the link didn't do anything.

I take your point though. My computer is already bot infested and Internet Explorer is always showing huge amounts of memory being used.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
Internet Explorer is always showing huge amounts of memory being used.

First...Please for the love of all that is internet! Stop using Internet Exploder!!!! Switch to Firefox, Opera, or anything else, but not that!

Second, what happens if you right click that link (if it's really a link as it seems to be)? Can you open in a new window/tab?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by edaced4

Originally posted by ipsedixit
Internet Explorer is always showing huge amounts of memory being used.

First...Please for the love of all that is internet! Stop using Internet Exploder!!!! Switch to Firefox, Opera, or anything else, but not that!

I'm nearly there. YouTube is no longer supporting IE8 and wants an upgrade. I'm still using XP, so I have to switch browsers.

Second, what happens if you right click that link (if it's really a link as it seems to be)? Can you open in a new window/tab?

Nothing. When I right click and go to "Properties" I get the URL of the page the email appears on and nothing else. The link is not a link. It is blue and looks active but the cursor doesn't change to the hot link opening shape, it treats the link like text.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I opened my Yahoo Mail account in Firefox and right clicked on the link, and when I clicked on the "Inspect Element" option, this is what showed up:

a#yui_3_2_0_1_1344469311060103
edit on 8-8-2012 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

if it was me, I would delete the private message, if possible. I would ask the sender to please send the message in the form of a real email. I have used Yahoo as my primary email address for many years, and can honestly say that I don't remember ever getting a private message...not to say that it didn't happen, I just really don't think so.

seems that "yui" is a Yahoo User Interface something or other...

Seriously, just ask her to send it via an email...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by edaced4

I emailed my friend about the message, telling her to disregard if the message didn't emanate from her. I think, as another poster indicated that it is related to Yahoo Messenger.

There is so much spam nowadays in the form of Facebook "notifications" etc., that I think it must be something of that sort.

I haven't heard from my friend, so I'm about to cut bait and just chalk it up to time wasted.

Thanks to all who took the trouble to reply.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Your privacy settings in your Yahoo profile acct such as sending spam directly ino the trash...may be the reason as well. You may have the settings blocking mail of that type.

I'd delete it anyway.....Too suspicious.

new topics

top topics

join