It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An interesting Philosophy that says that Self-Love is the highest good, what do you think of this?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
This philosophy looks very interesting. It is called Autamorism. I guess it is true, that if I feel like crap and someone compliments me, it is up to me to self evaluate myself, because even if someone compliments me I still may feel like crap; so it makes sense that you have to love yourself, then the insults won't hurt as bad and the compliments would just be something that you already know about yourself. What do you think?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Is this a philosophical view you created or somebody else?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Self-Love teaches to serve the self at the cost of others. You will always put yourself first and highest. In fact, society is dangerously close to this practice already.

This is the definition of evil...for me, anyway.
edit on 8-8-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
Self-Love teaches to serve the self at the cost of others. You will always put yourself first and highest. In fact, society is dangerously close to this practice already.

+1

Smells like cloaked nihilism to me....

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Not really. If they were, they wouldn't be getting face lifts and plastic surgeries, looking for new leaders, and allowing advertisements which target low self-esteem, get to them... Definitely not close at all, many people are wear a mask of "self-love" but it is not actually there. Even Lady Gaga was crying because she was bullied at an earlier age and she is holding on to that aspect feeling bad about her self (it was in one of her interviews)...

Originally posted by HIWATT
Smells like cloaked nihilism to me....

Either that was sarcasm, or you do not know what nihilism is...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The way I see it, if you can't even love yourself, who can you love?

I think it's a good idea to learn to love yourself, and then focus on loving others. We see the reverse all the time.

People tend to call out others for things they do, especially when the caller hates that particular aspect of their own personality.

ETA - If everyone loved themselves, TRULY loved themselves, how could they hate another person? It's Utopian, I get that, but, if I loved myself to the max I would be so happy with myself all the time that I couldn't find fault with others. I would be a lot more encouraging, and a lot more positive.

A positive, happy attitude is just as contagious as a negative, angry attitude.
edit on 8-8-2012 by RicketyCricket because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Absolute pride, Absolute Envy, Absolutely a war will ensue. I never herd of this philosophy however and can not seem to find much on it to study can you provide any links or more information?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
self love is to true love like masturbation is to sex......an illusion of frustration and self denial.
edit on 8-8-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Isn't this what Whitney Houston was singing about in her song "The Greatest Love of All"?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
This philosophy looks very interesting. It is called Autamorism. I guess it is true, that if I feel like crap and someone compliments me, it is up to me to self evaluate myself, because even if someone compliments me I still may feel like crap; so it makes sense that you have to love yourself, then the insults won't hurt as bad and the compliments would just be something that you already know about yourself. What do you think?

I do not like myself sometimes - When I know I am not being true to who I am
I can feel love when I am true to myself - But Love is for sharing with others or it is in vain

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by g0dhims3lf
Absolute pride, Absolute Envy, Absolutely a war will ensue. I never herd of this philosophy however and can not seem to find much on it to study can you provide any links or more information?

Wars start because of lack, not because of self love. They feel like they NEED more land or NEED more oil or NEED more control, when you love yourself, you are not focusing on all of the desires you feel you "lack" so much...

There is another video here explaining it:

Originally posted by BIHOTZ
self love is to true love like masturbation is to sex......an illusion of frustration and self denial.
edit on 8-8-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

Are you imply that you can not have true love unless it is with another person? So, it is impossible for you to love yourself? I can assure you that this is not true.

Masturbation is sex, and sex is just mutual masturbation...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

That's not entirely accurate. Self-love is not evil nor narcissistic. It does not require that you love others less than yourself or place yourself first.

Self-love is essentially the acceptance of who you are at the core of your being, which is necessary to free yourself from the influence of the ego. The ego may try to convince you that you are incompetent, unworthy and ultimately worthless unless others show love toward you to validate you. Self-love eliminates the need for external validation, which in turn loosens the grip of the ego.

I've been working my way into that sense of self-love, though it is a difficult thing to fully embrace. I understand that I need to let go of negative ways of thinking and see my flaws as something to learn from and improve rather than a hindrance.

You can love yourself while still loving, serving and showing compassion towards others. That's the way I strive to live my life.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Right but that is assuming ALL will follow this, my point was where there exists absolute pride as that video mentions then there will also exist the opposite.
edit on 8-8-2012 by g0dhims3lf because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-8-2012 by g0dhims3lf because: spelling

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
We usually perceive other people based on an image we hold for them. But that image we hold exists in our mind only. When you love yourself, you love every possible image, and maybe one day you cease to produce them at all.
People saying it's evil? How would you treat someone you have never met before, yet anticipated with love?

edit on 8-8-2012 by adrift because: spelling

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan
reply to post by arpgme

Do you not want to answer my question?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
I can feel love when I am true to myself - But Love is for sharing with others or it is in vain

So, loving yourself is pointless according to your own words. Maybe you'll say "No", but based on this statement it doesn't look that way...

That is something else that you can work on... with self-love... if you want to.

reply to post by g0dhims3lf

Well, if they do not follow self-love, then of course they'll keep feeling like "something is missing" and trying to compensate (with control, war, or approval from others even if they have bad intentions).

reply to post by arpgme

That question is impossible to know, knowing how much philosophers think
. As for the videos, they are anonymous (with name association) by a YouTube user(s) named "Autamorism" who is promoting this philosophy...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

You misunderstand my point - I said I do not like myself when I am not being true to myself
If I did harm to another should I love myself?
By being true to myself is to Love others as well as who I truly am
I am self critical and seek to be a better person - I like/love that better person
To love oneself over others is vanity though most would not admit it

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

What motivated you to harm the person? Is it because you feel "Lack" (Jealousy) somewhere? Is it because you want to "prove" something by attacking back?

If you harm someone then love yourself, what is done is done, there is no reason to be stressing over something you can not change.

If you just like hurting people, why do you feel this desire (lack) where you are compensating whatever "void" with hurting others??

Fill the void/lack/desire with self-love and it will change you from the inside out (Feelings to Action), rather than the outside in (Action to feelings)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

Originally posted by artistpoet

So, loving yourself is pointless according to your own words. Maybe you'll say "No", but based on this statement it doesn't look that way...

That is something else that you can work on... with self-love... if you want to.

reply to post by g0dhims3lf

Well, if they do not follow self-love, then of course they'll keep feeling like "something is missing" and trying to compensate (with control, war, or approval from others even if they have bad intentions).

reply to post by arpgme

That question is impossible to know, knowing how much philosophers think
. As for the videos, they are anonymous (with name association) by a YouTube user(s) named "Autamorism" who is promoting this philosophy...

So then you admit that it's not you who came up with this title?
edit on 8-8-2012 by ErroneousDylan because: To replace.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This philosophy lacks substance and sounds too much like arrogance. I take pride in the achievements of others as well as my own because we are all working off of each-others knowledge. I agree one must first come to know themselves before they can think for themselves but should not solely take pride in their achievements because any achievement made was a result of what they learned up to that point. Like this philosophy for example I hope you also take pride in the fact that someone came up with what you now use to guide your life (not that you do but if you did).
edit on 8-8-2012 by g0dhims3lf because: added input

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join