It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theosophy and Christianity

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by JesuitGarlic

I'm pretty sure that all authority within the highest of Catholic churches comes from Vatican City, in Rome. This means that all Catholic religion has its roots in Rome. The throne, the crown, of the Catholic faith lies with the Vatican.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

I'm pretty sure that all authority within the highest of Catholic churches comes from Vatican City, in Rome. This means that all Catholic religion has its roots in Rome. The throne, the crown, of the Catholic faith lies with the Vatican.

I did not mean to confuse you with different terminologies...when I say the Roman Church that means the Catholic Church, the Vatican ect...

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesuitGarlic
Could you please layout your general belief system...

Panentheistic.

...then and how this currently conflicts with a literal interpretation of the events in the Bible.

Common sense.

Which of the events do you believe/'know' are completely untrue?

Most of the allegorical and metaphorical stories. If you want specifics: the creation myth, Noah's Ark, The parting of the Red Sea, Job, the divinity of Jesus, Revelations.

Do you believe in a creator/designer to explain how the universe came into existence...

Yes.

...what do you think is the general age of the Earth that best explains the data...

4.6 billion years.

(outline any factors in your mind that limit the Earth age to having to be at least over say 8,000 years).

Numerous factors, including, but not limited to; the age of the Moon, geographic strata, archeological remains, genetic observations, etc, etc, ad nauseum, ad infinitum.

What are the biggest stumbling blocks for you to believe in the Biblical God over anything else?

Because men wrote the Bible.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Numerous factors, including, but not limited to; the age of the Moon, geographic strata, archeological remains, genetic observations, etc, etc,

But dude......

Can't you see that's all superstitious nonsense? Every science book *I've* ever read says that Jesus did it!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Could you please layout your general belief system then and how this currently conflicts with a literal interpretation of the events in the Bible.

I am a pantheist.

Which of the events do you believe/'know' are completely untrue?

Roughly all of them.

Do you believe in a creator/designer to explain how the universe came into existence or through natural processes

A creative principle through natural processes.

what do you think is the general age of the Earth that best explains the data (outline any factors in your mind that limit the Earth age to having to be at least over say 8,000 years).

The combination of modern scientific data across multiple fields show the earth is over 4 billion years old.

What are the biggest stumbling blocks for you to believe in the Biblical God over anything else?

The same stumbling block that prevent me from believing in the Invisible Pink Unicorn. And that stumbling block is the amount of evidence for such a being existing (which is to say, none).

edit on 23-8-2012 by Masonic Light because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Masonic Light

Do you believe in a creator/designer to explain how the universe came into existence or through natural processes

A creative principle through natural processes.

You said in one of your previous posts that you are pantheist. How does this 'creative principle through natural processes' fit into your pantheism, if you don't mind my asking?
edit on 23-8-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
Can't you see that's all superstitious nonsense? Every science book *I've* ever read says that Jesus did it!

Well, he did do that magic trick with the fish. Your sound arguement has convinced me to see the error of my ways. I will immediately repent and spend the remainder of my days testifying to networkdude.

Testifying that he has no beer! Hah!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by autowrench

Everyone knows this. Everyone who wants to actually KNOW what they're talking about, anyway...

Yes, I know. I do wish I had the in me, just ignore all or any information that disturbs you, or is against your controller's wishes....
Then I could just ignore everything I don't like. That would be great. I wonder sometimes how Christians do ignore things like that? Is it a conscious will, or do they have a filter in their brain?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinocchio

After that... conclude she is more acceptable to you and God from God for you from God because that is the nature and design of TRUE THEOSOPHY!

You are a Theosophist? I highly doubt it. How can you just sit there and make judgement on something you know not thing one about, because you are too scared to research anything not Christian oriented? Just admit that you do not know a thing about the nature and design of Theosophy.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I'm a fairly liberal Christian with Gnostic and pantheistic leanings. My entire life I've been a student of all religions and mythologies of the world, although it wasn't until the last year that I really started looking at such things like Martinism and Rosicrucianism (though I was aware of them, but had little time for studying them).

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by KSigMason

I've fit in with the lot of you that replied pantheism/panentheism, however as a mode of philosophy I consider myself a theosophist, because I don't just limit myself to just one box of understanding or viewpoints. *cough* Christianity. *cough*

As I explained on the last page, it does no good to view the esoteric through an exoteric understanding.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
So this will be the rough outline that I would like to follow:

- Outline the belief system that is based on natural processes/evolutionary and big bang theory to explain the current natural world which is the most widely held explanation for those holding that there is no creator/designer entity (God) outside of creation and the 4+ Billion year model.

We will explore how much of this model can explain each of the major steps in the process (from the initial big bang, to the development of particles, proteins, DNA, life and increased sophistication of life) based on the limits of natural/random processes that science has been able to determine from empirical, testable evidence. At this point we can have some good discussions back and forth presenting evidence to support or dismiss the evolutionary 4.6 odd billion year model.

An exploration of this model and the limits of it should lead one to question if the alternative intelligent design model (genesis account) provides a more explanatory model of the observed and testable natural world.

I will then present some information that will put certain limits on the maximum age of the Earth based on a few different quantifiable factors and present the case for design in biology and cosmology.

We will then explore the geological evidence and anthropological evidence of a global extinction level flood occurring in Earth's history in line with the Biblical timeline. From here on we will look at a few examples of the confirmatory evidence for some of the more fanciful stories in the Old Testament as well as the Divine insipration of some of its authors through a few clear examples of fulfilled prophecy and the dietary recommendations made in the OT and what modern science has to say about the choices recommended through the evidence of the China study.

We will then head to the New Testament exploring the historical accounts for the literal life of the Christian founder and evidence for His death and resurrection through various lines of argument. At this point we could go down a couple of tracks of thought and what the implications are of the information. We then might explore some NT prophecy but this might get messy and we'll see if we can get this far first.

Along the way I will present various arguments supporting the Biblical account to explain our present existence, some of these arguments are irrefutable (although that doesn't mean people won't try) and others are based on a balance of evidence, logic or deductive reasoning approaches.

At this stage, the only thing that pops into mind I can really say I currently can't explain would be distant starlight (although I have got a book on this subject that claims to be able to explain that as well but I am only about 10% of the way through reading it at the moment).

Is that framework good for people, it will probably take a few weeks to nut out reasonably well? For those holding to evolutionary processes it should be a decent enough look at where some holes might be and some places you might want to do further study. I will try to wind up my other threads I am on over the next couple of days, get back stuck into some science books and videos to freshen up and hold off on my other reading material.

edit on 24-8-2012 by JesuitGarlic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Actually I have a friend from Arizona that I am in contact with that can explain just that. I've been trying to get him to register an account for a good while.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

But I will go ahead and give you an idea of what he came up with; it is neither the 'big bang' or 'evolutionary' processes.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

what do you think is the general age of the Earth that best explains the data (outline any factors in your mind that limit the Earth age to having to be at least over say 8,000 years).

Dinosaurs.

The paleolithic era.

Carbon dating.

Common sense.

I thought the people who believed the earth was only 6-8 thousand years old were just a myth. I didn't know they actually existed. I am awe struck.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnochWasRight

I have heard of many different versions of Astral Travel. How do you accomplish this? How did you see spirit descend into your children at birth?

I saw it with my eyes. The doctor saw it with his eyes also. If you wish to astral travel, do the research and study yourself. I cannot teach the mechanics and principles of it. I think the reason I see things you cannot is I am a very old Soul, and from reading you, you are a very young Soul. That means I am about ready to go Home, while you have a long road to travel.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Tell me, just how does one " infiltrate" a belief system? That would be akin to infiltrating Christianity, or infiltrating Islam, one could not do it. Stop attempting to save face here, you have been shown to now know what you are talking about when it comes to the Discipline of Theosophy, and it would take you years to accumulate the knowledge to make such a judgement.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I'm not used to having someone describe it that way.

Does that mean I'm almost ready to go "home"?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Why does the Earth's age disqualify the existence of a higher power? Just because you're a follower of Christianity, means that Christianity is the only valid theology?

No. There could very well be a higher power that accomodates the age of the Earth. My own beliefs accomodate that...and my own beliefs are built on facts and reasonable assumptions (extrapolations, if you will).

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I've been told my many others that I am an old soul trapped in the body of a young one...I, myself, have had a yearning to be greater than what I am since I was a little one...I always believed in magick and that which was beyond what I could not see or taste or smell or touch. I inherently knew that there was much wrong with our country and government when I reached my teen-age years and even in our mainstream religion. I started to develop my own beliefs which have made a quantum jump in my last two years since I graduated from High School and became an adult. I soon found that many of my interests and desires fell into line with Theosophy, which is what I claim to this day. A good mix of Theosophy and as others put it, panentheism/pantheism. I've often had dreams and waking desires to go "Home", but I am always unsure of where home is...I just know it isn't on this planet...

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join