It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Is No Choice

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: g0dhims3lf
a reply to: AfterInfinity

Not sure, I prefer to talk a bout the non-religious free-will arguments.
1> (Determinism)
2> (Compatibilism)
3> (Fatalism) *which seems to be similar to what you are saying

I don't doubt God's existence however, if infinity (The answerless answer to all) is in fact what is, then all that's possible is as well. God being a possibility, but then God would only be a possibility of infinity and not infinity itself.

My argument is made on the condition that the Judaic/Abrahamic god exists and is currently active. If such an entity does not exist or is not actively involved in this world at this time, then obviously, my argument is moot.
edit on 5-5-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Because if our path is preordained

It is not. Free will, lets us choose between knowingly sinning and not caring, and repenting for the sins that we are doomed to make.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior

Because if our path is preordained

It is not. Free will, lets us choose between knowingly sinning and not caring, and repenting for the sins that we are doomed to make.

"repenting for the sins that we are doomed to make"

Sounds like an exercise in futility. But maybe that's the point. Maybe you're not supposed to win...or you're supposed to believe that you can never win. The first step to enslaving the masses is to teach them that they can't win without you, that they need you in order to find hope and happiness. And what you just described sounds exactly like that.
edit on 5-5-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity

"repenting for the sins that we are doomed to make"

Exactly my point. It is already known if we will make the sins or not so it just feels like we are living a predestined rerun of a life

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Don't forget there are different types of freedom. Freedom from (negative freedom) and freedom to (positive freedom).
If we truly are not free why do we vote, or attempt to enact laws/policies that are in an individuals best interest while trying to rid the ones that are not?

Even if one were to assume we have free will you must see the humor in how limited it actually is. Your freedom to act would be limited by your abilities, and any possible coercion. We constantly subject ourself to certain limitations of freedom for the comfort of others.
edit on 5-5-2014 by g0dhims3lf because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-5-2014 by g0dhims3lf because: grammer

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join